main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Skirmish in an Ancient War (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by greencat336, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    I should have expected Xan to show up!! I'm guessing the demons already know Qui's there, right? Post soon GC!!! :)

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooh, wonderful imagery greencat. I loved how Qui-Gon seemed to get lost until he closed his eyes and trusted in the Force.

So he must know he's still sleeping... or is he now, like his Padawan in a coma... and is there real danger here for him????

Hurry and tell us.

3. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    Uh-oh.

I have a bad feeling about this, and it IS about the mission, Master!

Great job, greencat!

Sarah >^,,^<

4. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    P_Stotts -- Yes, Qui will indeed have to face some fairly nasty stuff before he can reach Obi

Jane Jinn -- Well, not everything as you'll see in an upcoming post

AprenticeM -- Yep. They were definitely waiting for Qui to arrive.

Healer Leona -- Qui would look like he was sleeping, however, no one would be able to wake him up (which is basically a coma, I guess :) ) Yes, there is real danger for Qui. He could be lost forever in the nether planes.

Sarah K -- :D

Abbi_Cee, Obi the Kid, MoonScribe -- Thanks for your earlier comments!

This is another post based on a JA book scene. Is there anyone reading this that hasn't read them? There's some scenes coming up that refer to the Melida/Daan episode. If you don't know what happened then, tell me so I can give a summary, or I don't think my posts will make sense.

Obi-Wan was in the Room of a Thousand Fountains, standing near the top of the highest waterfall. Normally, the cascading water flowed into a deep pool, but now the waterfall was dry.

Glancing down, Obi-Wan saw the pool below was still full of water. Obi-Wan felt his heart stop as he glimpsed a flash of light blue and pink. Bant was chained to the bottom of the pool by a heavy chain around her ankle.

He had done this before, Obi-Wan realized. Xanatos had tried to destroy the Temple, with the help of Bruck, Obi-Wan?s long time rival at the Temple. Qui-Gon and he had thwarted their plans and Bant had lived. Bruck, much to Obi-Wan?s regret, had been killed when he had fallen from the waterfall during Obi-Wan and Bruck?s battle.

As if his thought summoned the boy, Bruck spoke from behind Obi-Wan, ?She doesn?t look too good, does she??

Obi-Wan spun around as Bruck was bringing his lightsabler down in a two-handed blow. Instantly, Obi-Wan?s lightsaber was in his hand. Sparks flew as it intercepted Bruck?s blade. Bruck launched another blow. Obi-Wan deflected it, staggering from the impact. Bruck seemed larger and stronger than he remembered.

?Who are you?? demanded Obi-Wan.

?I always knew you were as stupid as you were clumsy. Don?t you recognize someone you have known nearly your whole life?? answered Bruck.

?You can?t be Bruck. Bruck died four years ago.? Obi-Wan said. Died because I wasn?t quick enough to keep him from falling, he guiltily thought to himself.

?If I?m dead, you shouldn?t have any trouble defeating me. I think its you and the fish girl that are going to be the ones dead, very soon.?

Any questions Obi-Wan had about history repeating itself became quickly secondary to defending himself from Bruck?s onslaught.

?Bant is dying,? Bruck taunted him. ?I won?t have to do a thing. I?ll just make you watch. Another person will die because of you. Right in front of your eyes. The Jedi all talk about how many you have failed.?

Ruthlessly, Bruck backed Obi-Wan up the hill that formed the waterfall. It was a rocky slope, the footing treacherous. Obi-Wan?s arm muscles ached as he swung with all his might with each stroke. He felt clumsy and slow. Twisting to parry a strike, his foot slipped on the mossy rocks and he landed on one knee. Pain sliced through him, followed by fear. Struggling to stand, he retreated further up the waterfall.

?Getting tired, Oafy-Wan?? Bruck sneered, using the nickname he had tormented him with while they were growing up together in the Temple. Bruck?s blows began to fall faster and faster. Obi-Wan could barely keep his lightsaber moving in order to counteract Bruck?s blows. ?Don?t worry, Oafy-Wan. It won?t be long before I finish you off.?

Bruck?s foot lashed out, catching Obi-Wan in the stomach. He stumbled backwards. The edge of the waterfall disappeared from under his feet. He was falling, down, down.

Jagged rocks impacted into his body. Obi-Wan screamed in pain as the bones of his arms, legs and back shattered. Bruck stood over him, gloating. Viciously, Bruck kicked his head, turning it so Obi-Wan faced the pool. Benea

5. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Oh, poor Obi! How cruel! But, it's not real, Obi...it's not real. Don't give in to despair!

6. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree Peggy!! Don't listen to the lies Obi! You're eyes and ears are fooling you. Come on Qui, your Padawan needs your help!!

Great post greencat!! :) :)

7. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    No Obi! Listen to the Force, not Bruck!!

8. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Wow that last post was intence!

Don't believe it Obi!

So I see now Qui is going on a soul retreiveal. He can do it, I know he can.

9. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    AHHH! Wow, that was a great reinactment of the scene, with such a different ending! Keep the torment coming ;)

10. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    How's the fight scene in this post? Is it okay? I don't think I do them very well . . . Any suggestions for improving it?

Qui-Gon knew it was an illusion. He knew that it was not Xanatos that stood before him. But when their eyes met, Qui-Gon saw again the look Xanatos had given him a heartbeat before anger and hate had consumed him. It was a look of hurt and loss. Loss of the absolute trust in a man Xanatos had admired above all others. At that long ago confrontation, in that heartbeat, Qui-Gon had realized he had failed the boy he loved like a son.

?I am so sorry, my Padawan, for having not guided you better? whispered Qui-Gon.

?Do you think an apology will make right the wrong you have done to me,? said Xanatos scornfully.

?I have done you no wrong,? Qui-Gon said calmly. ?You are not Xanatos.?

?Always so sure of yourself, Master, even when you were totally wrong. I am Xanatos.?

?Xanatos died several years ago.? Qui-Gon began to walk away, following the bond to Obi-Wan.

?Forgotten have you what that old troll Yoda was fond of saying? Luminous beings are we, not that crude matter. Do you think I just disappeared from the universe when I died? Did you really think you would be free of your greatest failure so easily??

Qui-Gon spun around. For a moment he stood perfectly still, studying the figure of his first apprentice. Jedi became one with the Force upon death. Where had Xanatos? spirit gone when it was released from its physical form? The Force showed him the truth.

?You wear his face, but you are not Xanatos. Illusions will not stop me.? Qui-Gon once more turned to follow the bond to Obi-Wan. A painful kick to his back demanded his attention.

The creature with Xanatos? form grinned evilly. ?Not everything here is an illusion, Jedi. We exist. We were here long before your most distant ancestor crawled out of the primeval muck. I will be here long after I have sliced your pitiful soul into shreds.? The red bladed lightsaber that appeared in the creature?s hands made a quick thrust towards Qui-Gon.

Instantly, Qui-Gon?s green blade blocked the blow. Sparks flashed as the two blades met.

The creature slashed and thrust with inhuman speed. Few could have defended themselves from the onslaught. Qui-Gon, however, was a Jedi Master with the Force as his ally. The Force flowed through him, allowing him to anticipate the creature?s attacks.

Green and red blades met again and again, the distinctive sound of the clash ringing out. Slowly, Qui-Gon began to bear down on his opponent, driving him back. Twirling, the Jedi Master struck. The green blade sliced the creature diagonally, from its left shoulder to its right hip.

With a shriek, the creature disappeared in burst of foul smelling smoke and flame.

I must be cautious, Qui-Gon told himself, as he resumed his search for Obi-Wan. There are more than illusions to be dealt with.

11. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Oh, that was fantastic greencat! I am absolutely loving this story! Can't get enough of it!

12. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    Go Qui-Gon, find Obi!!!!! He needs to know what's really going in!! GC, next to KOW " Lost Children", this is my favorite fan fic right now! :D

13. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Two very good post with plenty of drama. Nice re-write of the JA7 bit. I'm totally loving this fic GC and I can't wait for more! Keep it up! ;)

14. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Great story!!! I can't believe I forgot this one

15. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    This is being posted at my sister's house. My internet connection is down - again. (adelphia powerlink sucks) The service people won't come to my house to fix it for about 2 weeks! I'll post as often as I can, but I'm going to be relying on the kindness of relatives to do so . . . Sorry for the disruption.

On with the story

Obi-Wan stood on Glory Street on Melida/Daan. How could I be here, he thought in confusion. A moment before he had been lying at the bottom of a waterfall in the Room of a Thousand Fountains. His body had been shattered after a battle with . . . Bruck? But Bruck had been dead for four years. How could he have been battling Bruck? Bant had died, but she wasn?t supposed to have died. Bruck was the one who had died, after falling from the waterfall. The two opposing memories collided in his mind. He seemed to be jumping from one horrible event in his life to another. Events that were now even worse than he originally experienced.

Disoriented, he reached out for the person who meant stability and safety in his life. Where was Qui-Gon?

His attempt to contact his master was disrupted as he was pushed roughly aside. Several of Young, lead by Nield marched towards the Hall of Evidence. Wehutti and the Elders blocked their path. Obi-Wan remember what was going to happen next. Even if it was only an echo from the past, he couldn?t watch, knowing what was going to occur and do nothing.

Obi-Wan tried to run forward, tried to shout out a warning, but he could barely move. He knew everyone was just a hair away from using their weapons.

?Move aside, Wehutti,? Nield said. ?We won the war. Let us do our work.?

?We will not allow the desecration of our ancestors by a band of brats!? Wehutti thundered.

?We will not allow murderers to be treated as the honored dead!? Nield shouted back. He raised his blaster rifle. ?Now move!?

Suddenly, what Obi-Wan was dreading occurred. The grate in the dry fountain opened, and Cerasi swung herself up and out. She began to run towards the middle of the two groups. ?No!? she shouted as she ran. ?This cannot happen!?

Shots rang out. Cerasi?s eyes widened as the blaster fire ripped into her chest. Obi-Wan reached her just as she fell backwards, into his arms.

?Cerasi!? he cried.

Her green eyes were unfocused. He felt for her pulse with shaking fingers. There was no beat of her heart, not even a flutter.

Agony ripped through him. He cradled her lifeless body to him. He had failed her a second time.

Hearing someone approach, Obi-Wan looked up. Qui-Gon stood before him. Throat closed from sorrow, Obi-Wan reached out through their bond to his master. And felt nothing. Staring up at the man, Obi-Wan saw a look of cruelty that had never appeared on his master?s face.

?You are not my master,? stated Obi-Wan.

?You finally got something right. I?m not your master. You left the Jedi, remember. Threw away a lifetime of training. Rejected all that had been given to you. Then, after failing your new friends, you have the nerve to ask to be taken back? Do you think I?m that stupid? There is no way I would make the same mistake twice.? Venom dripped from the man?s words.

?This can?t be real. Qui-Gon wasn?t there when Cerasi died. This isn?t right.? protested Obi-Wan.

?This isn?t right,? mocked the man with Qui-Gon?s face. ?Stop being so childish. Right and wrong are meaningless terms. Success and failure are what counts. Failure is what you are. Everything you have ever attempted, you?ve failed at. I?m glad to be rid of you. You were an even worse apprentice than Xanatos.?

?Stop it!? Obi-Wan lowered Cerasi?s body to the ground and leapt to his feet. ?I can sense you are not Qui-Gon!?

?Think that?s why you can?t feel anything through the training bond? Think again. When you left the Jedi, the bond was broken. You can?t sense anything because there is nothing to sense. You are alone. Rejected by the Jedi, forsaken by your You

16. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, I'll be the first to say it...poor Obi! :_| Hurry up and get there, Qui or Obi will be so confused he won't believe it's really you! :eek:

17. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, that's the danger, isn't it! Obi-Wan might even lash out at the real Qui-Gon and try to destroy him, if things get bad enough before Qui-Gon gets there. Or, worse yet, he might turn on himself! Hurry, Qui-Gon!

Oooh, so there are more than illusions that have to be dealt with? The Dark Side isn't going to stop at anything to prevent Qui-Gon from reaching his apprentice, will it? Very good ideas here! I liked the way Qui-Gon is calm, reaching out with the Force to discover that it only looks like Xanatos, but really isn't.

18. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    I just have one thing to say, Poor Obi!!

19. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    nooooooooooooooo.......

20. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Wow, talk about hitting below the belt. Well, I guess that's why they're the dark side. I noticed that as Obi started to search the Force to find Qui-Gon he was interupted. No doubt if he had found a sense of Qui-Gon in the Force he would recognize the trick being pulled on him and wouldn't be so easily confused. I hope Qui can find him soon.

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    The fight scene was wonderful greebcat! :)

I loved how the darkside used what it knew of the two Jedi to distract and destroy them. Awesome posts!! :)

22. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Cool post GC! Oh Obi you have to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

23. MoonScribe

MoonScribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2000
    Great story. I thought the fight scenes were really good. I have trouble writing fight scenes too. And I like how you're bringing in events from the JA stories into your fic. Looking forward to reading more.

24. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    Say, greencat, you ever read any Frank Peretti?

I second the emotion... POOR OBI!!! :_|

Sarah >^,,^<

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    P_Stotts -- Qui & Obi will have some more unpleasantness to get through before they find each other

Jane Jinn -- The demons are real though they use illusions for attacks in addition to the physical. It seems to me that destroying some one emotionally is much worse than physical abuse (as fun as it is torturing Obi physically ;) )

ApprenticeM, I love Sci Fi, Healer Leona, Ginger Jedi, Moonscribe -- thanks :)

Abbi_Cee -- If you think the demons have been hitting below the belt, wait til you see what happens next. And yes, that was why they interupted Obi, they want him off center and not thinking.

Sarah K -- I'm terrrible with author's names. What has Peretti written?

Just as an FYI one of the flashbacks that Qui sees in the next post is a teaser for the next story I have been working on . . .

Qui-Gon trudged forward, doing his best to ignore his surroundings. Scenes from his life played themselves out all around him. Displayed were times of weakness, despair, hate, anger, failure and sorrow. Every moment he had ever been ashamed of, from his childhood on, was broadcast in breathtaking realism.

Although he had been walking for quite some time, none of the images had repeated themselves. The sheer number of them was as oppressive as the content.

Qui-Gon was also attempting to ignore the voice that alternated between commenting on the action in the images and directly tormenting him. Replying to the voice would be futile, he knew. Instead he tried to concentrate on finding Obi-Wan.

A fifteen year old Xanatos explained to Qui-Gon how another apprentice had provoked him into a confrontation.

"That young rascal Xanatos certainly did get into a lot of fights at the Temple. Amazing that he was always able to convince you they weren't his fault. Admit it, Qui-Gon. You were always secretly pleased with those scuffles. Xanatos' skill as a fighter and his clever excuses were a source of pride to you. Your potential of evil is extremely high, if you'd just allow yourself to let go," the voice said in a persuasive tone.

Civil war erupts on a planet. Thousands will die before peace was restored. A young Knight, Qui-Gon leaves the planet, his attempts to prevent the hostilities a failure.

"A marvelous example of your skills as a diplomat. You served the Dark well, that day."

A woman stands alone in a crowded plaza. She is reading a brief message telling her that the man she has been involved with for the past few months has had to leave suddenly. He will be unable to ever see her again. She crumbles the flimsy in her hand, leaning heavily against a nearby wall. The anguish in her face is quickly replaced with a cold resolve.

"She closed her heart completely to love after you left her. Now, she cares for nothing and no one but herself. Well, the truth is, she doesn't really care that much for herself. For some reason she feels unworthy and unlovable. Perhaps it was for the best after all, though. Everyone you love does tend to come to a bad end. What could you have offered her except a life filled with contentment and love? Much better that you took the coward's way and fled without telling her why."

Thirteen year old Obi-Wan, his face hopeful, had met his ship. Qui-Gon had returned to Melida/Daan after having received word from Obi-Wan of the death of Cerasi. Qui-gon had nodded a greeting, not speaking. His coolness hurt the boy, who had suffered so much. As they walked the hope faded from Obi-Wan's face, replaced with a deep sorrow.

"Your actions towards Obi-Wan have provided the basis for some very effective torments for the boy. He broke much more quickly than predicted, with your help. No torture we could think of would match even a fraction of the pain your coldness inflicted upon him."

That barb had hit its mark. Qui-Gon's jaw clenched, painful guilt showed in his eyes. Keep your focus, Jinn, he told himself sternly. Find Obi-Wan. Worry ab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.