main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Skirmish in the Senate

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Binary Sunset, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    When Grand Master Yoda and Darth Sidious dueled, what were you guys' thoughts?

Topics can vary to:
    Choreography
    The victor
    The outcome
    Who you favored
    Duel ranking in the film compared to other duels in film
    Duel ranking in the film compared to other duels in prequel trilogy
    Duel ranking in the film compared to other duels in both trilogies
    Better lightsaber user/ skill
    Better Force user/skill
    And more... (commenter choice of topic)

2. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    It was great to see the 2 best go at it! I wasn't even really expecting that fight to happen before the movie got released. So it was awesome to see though. I wouldn't know where to rank them on the skills level, but as far as I am concerned they are both powerful force users. One of my favorite parts of the saga for sure.

3. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Amazingly epic! Made even more epic by the reprise of Duel of the Fates. Definitely one of the highlights of the film opening night and one of my most heavily anticipated moments for a long time and boy did it deliver! Palpatine's cackling, the music, Yoda, the symbolism of tearing apart the senate and Palpatine using senate pods as weapons just as he's been doing for three movies but now it's more literal. Great stuff. I'd say it's the most iconic and well-done good verses evil confrontations ever committed to film!

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The last time I watched the prequels (all three films) with my cousins, when we reached the bit where the lift takes them up into the main chamber, I had to pause it a said aloud, "Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?". This line was perfect at that point. It's the most politics filled, over-the-top line and it was brilliant.

The duel itself is pretty great, but it only ends because Yoda was too close to the edge of the platform. If he had been more in the middle he wouldn't have fallen all the way down. And why does he have to go into exile?

5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I like that what is probably the most important duel in the saga (after the ROTJ battle) the Sidious vs Yoda is called a Skirmish :D

On the actual fight, I would like to have seen Yoda disarm Sidious of his lightsaber. Otherwise it was an enjoyable one.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why's that, mate? Wasn't Ian uncomfortable enough with the blade as it was?

7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    good point CA.

Though I would assume (perhaps wrongly though :p) that since there wasn't a real life opponent to face he would be a bit more comfortable, or if he was, it would have been easier to use a double due to the make-up and hooded robe.

Edit: as to why, I would have preferred to see exactly why it happened instead of watching a cat and mouse chase between Obi-Wan and Anakin, :p

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I doubt it. Ian and Peter both *telegraph* they dislike handling weapons. But I hope so...

9. Yoda_of_Soda

Yoda_of_Soda Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    To me It was epic the essence of star wars combat! I think of it kind like a war between Heaven and Hell but the contrast of the scenes you see clearly that when Yoda is in focus the room becomes a bit lighter and when Sidious is in the focus it becomes darker. Which is an epic effect! Although i was kind of hoping that they wold fight a bit longer for us to see who the clear winner is.

Also perhaps Yoda is hyped up for us to think he is the most powerful in the universe and therefore we see this scene were Yoda and Sidious is more equal and Yoda isn't all that mighty as we think??

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I enjoyed it very much. I'm very glad that it was included in the film. I think Ian was a bit over the top compared to how Sidious is portrayed in the rest of the PT as well as in ROTJ, but it made him seem all the more evil and crazy. It brought a whole other dimension to his character. The symbolic nature of Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel was important, but moreso, you really got the sense that whatever was to come with the Sidious/Yoda duel, its effects would be much further reaching. It brings a whole new meaning to "Duel of the Fates."

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I loved the music.

Andy Wylde likes this.