main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Skotti's Commissioned Art For Me (Now with two Sith chicks!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by alienyouthct, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Dude I think it's best if you post the final works when they're done, you might even get more feedback and better comments from people, cause right now I don't really see the point... I know they mean a lot to you but it's always better to keep the "surprise" intact for the end ;)

2. alienyouthct

alienyouthct Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Dude, I see you posting pencils and/or inks of your pieces in your thread before the colors. I even complimented one of them. I posted the pieces of Hiskari Dorset Conceptual 2 just for people to see, and am explaining what Skotti and I do for a single piece just for anyone who's curious because I don't see many people here attempting any deep explanation of images or the characters within. "Oh, this is X from Y's fanfic Z" doesn't tell me much. I thought people might actually like to know something about my characters beyond the name, and the images beyond "here's a pic of Characters A and B!".

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Your friend does some very nice work. Detail and proportion-wise, they are really great. And the loose pencil strokes really give all of the drawings extra movement. Tell her to keep up the great work! :)

Although, I'm gonna have to agree with Daenna about posting consecutively. This is a fairly slow forum compared to some others and it takes more time to generate the kind of traffic they get. All I'm saying is give folks more time to actually see the work portrayed here and actually respond. It is quite nice. :)

4. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Kick your forum goers then? I go and post in other topics but nobody else seems to do the same, and so if I waited for a reply before I posted something new, I'd never get to post. :(

5. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    You can't really boost activity here when people will update mostly when they've completed a work. I know I like to read nice comments in my topic but I somehow hate to update it if I don't have something new to bring. Sure sometimes I only post pencils or inks, but I try my hands at different styles and, being "new" to this business I need to gain a bit of self-confidence, sometimes :) It might be selfish, but each of us do it so it's fair enough.

I don't want to sound rude or anything by telling you this: the art you post is commissioned, and I know that I would want to tell the artist directly what I think of their art. It's great that you bring it online for your friend, but you can't expect people to be thoroughly supportive of every single update you make. I guess most of the posters in Fan Art are more interested in art itself than character-building... Just be patient and hope for someone to be really into it, that's what we all do... We just spend time working hard each time to provide new stuff for the forum :)

6. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    She's not illiterate. You can even wave to her; she's reading over my shoulder most of the time. o_O

7. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    I like all the new pieces. I think purple spots on the Twi'lek would look quite good. I do agree that all the body types look extremely similar, but as that just seems to be the style of the artist's work I have no real problem with that.

Regarding posting the in process of works, I think it's great, but due to the slow nature of this forum, hourly updates are probably too much. Perhaps you might save up the rough sketch, the inked, and the colored versions until they are all done and post them all together. That way you still can display your process and adapt to the pace of the fan art forums.

Nobody doubts that your artist, Skotti, can read, but I will admit it would be nicer to hear from and respond to the artist directly.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I am in no way kicking out the users. I am just trying to prevent spam from occurring and giving everyone an equal chance to have their thread at the top. I know it can be frustrating at times when your thread goes for long periods of time without a response, but really, all you can do is be patient. You'll only chase people away if you continue to ask them to come in and comment. The forum may appear slower, but trust me, people are indeed watching and checking out the threads. ;)

9. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Yeah, but then she gets ink on the keyboard... o_O
    No, not kick them out. Kick them into gear. ;)

10. Lady_Skotti

Lady_Skotti Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2006
    Okay, I'm the artist, I've been reading over the these responces, as it were.

11. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Skotti does great work! :D Both designs are well-thought out and the pencil sketches are very "Iain McCaig/Dermot Power"! =D=

12. Lady_Skotti

Mar 29, 2006

Thank you very much ^^

Your icon makes me giggle....ALOT.

13. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Mine's better! LOL. I love the penguins from Madagascar. I died when I saw this.

And for anyone who cares (like Darth_Snuggle), we're actually restarting 14A. I tossed Skotti an extra bit of cash to do a background for the piece, and then the characters looked out of place. And we decided it was more the foreground than the background that was the problem. So the background is almost done, and then she's going to redo Hiskari and Taram'aclay.

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Sorry it's taken me so long to get in here and comment, alienyouthct (and LadySkotti...)--DRL has had me in knots for a while!

These are all wonderful pieces--and I'm one of those folks that likes to see the "progress shots" of a work--from the initial rough sketches through to the completed, colored piece--so don't hesitate to include those in your posts. It's always fun to see how an artist goes about their process.

Of all of the works posted so far, the ones I have to "fav" are: 1) "Unnamed Yuuzhan Vong Jedi"--what a great idea! She looks very exotic, and very Yuuzhan Vong--excellent concept! 2) "Chadaara Ko"--I just love the costuming here (on all of them, really)--very, very nice pose too. And 3) "Taram'aclay"--how wonderful to see a Twe'lek Jedi portrayed as a true warrior! Again--loving this costuming--very SW!

These are all great, and again--apologies for not visiting sooner! [face_sheepish]

FF

15. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Yeah, I so need to find something to do with the Vong Jedi. She was replaced with Hiskari Dorset in my story. D'ohh! Well, technically, Hiskari replaced Chadaara and Chadaara was demoted and replaced the Vong. Details details though. :)

We actually put a lot of thought into Chadaara's costume. She's based on the Jedi Weapons Master prestige class from the WotC RPG. So it had to be functional for someone who spends a lot of time swinging a saber, and fit with her predatory Togruta nature. Skotti and I tossed a few ideas back and forth, and this is one that was more her than me.

16. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    The style looks great, and I gotta agree with HS29 about the Proportions. Very good with female anatomy.

I am so drawn to the Taram'aclay Conceptual. The work put on her outfit combined with that shade of red is gorgeous. But my favourite conceptual is Chadaara Ko. I really like the costume design, especially with how the cape part is connected and sits, and the long skirt. I'd say that all the thought put into it paid off. The high slit was a good idea - more practical for someone who is a fighter... and it just happens to be provacative too. :p

Great artwork, Lady_Skotti. :)

- Suz ^_~

17. Lady_Skotti

Mar 29, 2006
    Thank you very much ^^ I do my best to fit the costume to the person, if that makes sense. Keep an eye out, new art coming soon (including myself as a Jedi)

18. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    I thought you were going to be a Sith?

Skotti... I am your father...

19. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    14A inks and 14C pencils are up. Had to put a OOPS! bar on Kari in 14C. Her milkshake brings all the Sith to the yard?

20. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    This is getting interesting!

I'm in awe for the poses and moves of the characters, it's hard to capture fast action... So, good job on that!

And, why is her butt censored? [face_laugh]

Kinky! :p

21. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Her bum was hanging out and so I was asked to do something about that before I posted it. I have the non-bar version somewhere. And it won't have the visible seam there in the final one. We just need to find a bigger scanner. :)

22. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    Syn, Dark Lady of the Sith is up. That's Skotti's geekified self-portrait. Her apprentice, Gnosys is already on deck. I'm still futzing with the lightsaber effect a little bit. Want to perfect it, and then I've got to get started on a lightwhip...

23. alienyouthct

May 12, 2002
    And here's Gnosys, Syn's apprentice. I use her in my story as a villain. I'm not entirely satisfied with either the lightwhip or the lightsaber, partially due to how they're generated. I use an action in Photoshop that utilizes the Work Path system, and so until I perfect the path for the whip and the saber they won't look right. Darn it.

24. Siths_Herald

Siths_Herald Minnesota CR, MNFF Co-Leader star 2

Jan 5, 2004
    This is all fantastic work. I too like to see some progress shots. I find that seeing how an artist does a first sketch tells more about their style than a finished piece.

The Sith Chicks look great. The costumes don't look all that practical, but they more than make up for it in eye-grabbingness (eye-grabbingness??!!) Anyhoo - you know what I mean. Keep up the good work!

S_H

25. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Very much liking the "Sith Chicks" here! Again--wonderful character and costume designs. I love the "shiny" look you're getting in the clothing, like a supple vinyl or very smooth leather--very cool! I think the only thing that I could suggest here might be to make the reflections of the light-weapons more diffuse on that shiny clothing: a lightsaber (or light-whip--both of which look great in these, btw) would cast a sort of diffuse "glow" rather than a sharp "line" across a surface--it would be more like the effect of a long, uncovered fluorescent bulb shining on something rather than a distinct "beam" or shaft of light...am I making any sense at all...? This "nit-picky" completely aside, as with all the other pieces, these are just lovely--and Gnosys looks almost like a Chiss, with the glowing red eyes! Lovely (and whichever of you is designing the costumes, I sure hope you can make a career of it! ;) )!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.