main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Skywalker Saga continued?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Pro Scoundrel , Dec 1, 2012.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ha! Yeah, but I don't think that qualifies. :)

2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I like that the trilogies are each set decades apart. So I think it's important to ask and theorize what potentially happens 20/30 years after RotJ that would suddenly warrant a new addition to the Saga. I see a potentially grander arch.

The PT deals with Anakin, and ends with the birth of his offspring. The story ends on Tantooine and the Tantiv IV (that was the name of that ship right?). Twenty years later the story picks up with the OT, almost exactly where it left off in those same locations. We could question why. Why it took so long for the story to continue. But that's part of the mystery. As if the Force had something planned. (There's actually a nice rhythm to it) And so Obi-wan and Yoda simply waited for instructions by the Force.

And so here we are again. The ST most likely takes place, 20, or more likely 30+ years, after the OT ended. What does the Force (or Lucas) have in mind? Why wasn't the story of Luke, Leia and Han and the immediate aftermath of the destruction of the Deathstar II important enough to continue that storyline forward. Why the decades long wait for those characters? So something bigger has to enter the picture. A new generation to pick up the story. Unlike, the transition from PT to OT, we have no clues, no sudden births at the end to guide our speculation. We can theorize that if it's a new generation, they'd be in their 20 or 30s and ready to continue the story line.

I kind of like that each trilogy so far deals with a different age range of Skywalker characters. The PT started with a very young Anakin (and we can debate whether that was a cool choice or not) and dealt with issues of that chronological time frame. The Phantom Menace, in many ways, reflects the youthful age that Anakin was in that story. It was sort of a kids movie. It's a Golden Era, there are mysterious things going around in the back ground, it's bright and cheerful and sunshiney. In many ways, just like how we experience childhood. AotC deals with a teenager Anakin. It's quite literally a turbulent movie. Anakin now how's great power. There's a darkness that begins to fight it's way in. Innocence begins to be lost on Anakin, and the Galaxy at large reflects this turmoil. RotS, deals with a young adult Anakin. The moment in our lives where we really being to choose our path, and who we want to become in life. Anakin chooses the darkside, and the Galaxy follows him there.

Twenty years later the story pics up with Luke, who's already at a similar age of when Anakin fell. To me, he literally continues his good father's journey thru the human experience. The rest of the OT deals a maturing Luke, who defies the darkside at every stage, and comes out mature, reasoned, smart, brave, and ultimately...the hero. He even manages to save the old generation in the process, his father returns from the darkside and so does the Galaxy.

So if we continue that theory forward, the ST could potentially deal with much older offspring in the story. Leaving off around the same age Luke was at the end of RotJ. Children, who aren't technically children anymore. Who have already left the nest, with a parental generation who are retired, who have died, and have already been passed the torch. I think we would need to think about how Skywalkers relate to the Galaxy as well, since they seem to by symbolic of the larger mythology of the galaxy.

To add my 2 cents into the ring. I think I'd rather Luke have no offspring. That Leia and Han do, and Luke has already trained them. Perhaps Luke has already died and communicates to them directly via Force Ghost. Although I'd much rather see what finally takes Luke over to the other side. And that could be very important motivators for that next generation.

kainee and Krueger like this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm sure Ben Skywalker will carry the film with big support from Jaina Solo & Jag also with smaller support of Luke, Han & Leia & with apperances of Allana , Lando , R2D2 , C3PO & Tahiri .

4. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't decide if I think they'll use Ben Skywalker or not. People have been debating the EU's inclusion for awhile, and both sides make good points about whether it will or won't be used. It's one of the things that I'm most curious about. On the one hand you've got ready made characters with a fanbase ripe for the picking. On the other hand you've got Lucas and the writers probably not wanting to be weighed down by EU baggage.

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the best of both worlds would be the whole 'Cherry Picking' idea of taking what works for the story and ignoring what doesn't. I mean the Solo Twins are known outside the Star Wars fanbase to a fair degree. The greatest weight that could be placed on the story would be to include all the baggage those figures have in the EU. Without the baggage they're much more usable and adaptable. At the same time it'd be throwing a bit of a bone to the EU fans without hamstringing their writing.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Very good overall thoughts but I can't aggree about Luke not having offspring - in the EU he has an ideal offsping in Ben Skywalker to carry the torch....however I wouldn't be surprised if Luke dies at the end of EP7 & then we see how Ben deals with this in EP8 .

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And, I could see them doing that. I guess it comes down to whether George has something else in mind and is adamant about the direction. I'm sure Kathleen Kennedy and the writers will take their ques from him. Does George have his own Skywalker heir in mind, or would he write a treatment using Ben?

8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It comes down to mythological roles. Luke's role was to save the father and vanquish evil. Leia's role is something different. In mythological terms, she being a women, is classically represented to be the Mother. Fertility. Now she's more than that, obviously, she's a strong role model and a fighter. But...What better way than to have to the New Jedi Order and the New Republic both come directly from her and her lineage.

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I figured that GL and the film makers of the new ST could play fast and loose with Yoda's comment about "There is another." There is precedent for reversals on established backstory, like what Obi-Wan first said to Luke about Vader and his father, and then later smoothing over the obvious accusation of "Liar!" with "Well, it's all about a certain point of view."

One of the story ideas about the sequel trilogy was about Luke searching for the Other, and then training that person, or enlisting their help to defeat a threat to the Galaxy. If we set aside the preconceived notion that The Other and Luke's Sister and Leia are all the same character, it gives us some wiggle room. Lukes Sister and Leia have been concretely established as the same. Obi-Wan established additionally that these two character concepts are also synonymous with The Other.

Keeping in mind GL's comments that he wouldn't have married Luke off and have kids, and Leia and Han's kids are not going to have the surname of Skywalker, then there is an avenue that holds mystery, the promise of unknowns, the potential to learn more about what we don't know yet. It is a path that re-opens the plotline of having Luke search out an "Other" who is another Skywalker.

I know there's a lot of people who aren't keen on many elements of the Prequels, and to a certain extent I'm sympathetic. But I think it would be interesting to explore if there's anything left of Shmi Skywalker's family and history. It's an opportunity to see if any new young Skywalkers emerge from that branch of the family tree, and delve into what happened with this family that left Shmi Skywalker in the circumstances we see her in; and if the family has any extraordinary secrets that point to an unusual relationship with the Force itself.

TreborSabreon and LawJedi like this.
  10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think that's exactly what Leia's role will be = mother. Mother to two of the new Jedi and mother to the New Republic. I wouldn't be surprised if she's Supreme Chancellor.

11. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Lucasfilm have already said that it won't be based on the EU, so they obviously aren't too bothered about upsetting EU fans.

12. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I hadn't considered that as a possibility, but I can see it.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, they said the story won't come from the EU. It's possible they might use some characters. Or, maybe they'll ignore all of it. I could see it going either way.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A Star Wars without Skywalkers is a Star Wars not worth having!

15. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Not the whole discussion as to what Kathleen Kennedy meant by a 'Template' for the films again... we're going in circles

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, that could be interpreted a few different ways, so it's all just guess work on our part.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think these would have episode numbers if they weren't about a Skywalker, so either George changed his mind about Luke marrying or...?

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ...Luke was Palpatine this whole entire time!

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't like the idea of starting out this trilogy with Luke having children. Not so much because of the old Jedi Code, but because it would come out of nowhere, having not been set up in the previous films at all. Han and Leia having children, however, is an easy leap to make from we've seen in the story thus far. So my thought about continuing the highly Force-sensitive genetics through Leia yet still keeping the iconic Skywalker name intact is this... Yoda didn't just say, "There is another"... His last words were actually, "There is another Skywalker"... meaning Leia of course. Now maybe it's just semantics, but this seems to me like it sets a precedent that could potentially solve this dilemma. My feeling is that after Leia learns of her lineage from Luke, and her father redeems himself, is it not conceivable that she could take the Skywalker name and pass it down to her child/children in order to honor her family and carry on that line?

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    But, wouldn't that be kinda insulting to Han. And, do you think his child/children would want to change the name?

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe Han and Leia never got married. Yeah I know that's a stretch for movies like these but it's the best I can do on short notice. As for the kids, if their mother is named Skywalker and they are born with that name, then why should they care? This happens frequently enough in real life.

22. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think that Luke having kids is that big of a stretch... We went from a 24 year old Skywalker in RoTJ to a probably 60+ Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order, that's plenty of time for Luke to find a girl, get married, and have a couple kids... Now naturally any Solo kids would be older since well... Han is older and there's already an established relationship there. The same isn't true for Luke.

And lets face it... Luke trying to assemble force sensitives and train them into Jedi would meet a lot of people... A lot of Force Sensitive people that he could end up involved in... and that would probably result in pretty strong Force Sensitive children. This is partly why I like the Jaina - Ben team as a concept... we have two characters with connections to the OT trio, one is an older more experienced Jedi, the other is a younger apprentice sort. This would echo both the Han - Luke and Obi-wan - Anakin team dynamics. It seems like a rather natural fit, but it's not in my hands... too bad.

EDIT: The problem with that is that Leia is Leia Organa, I don't see her dropping that last name... Bail was her father in all but blood.

23. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Well, hang on. That's not entirely correct. They said this will be an original story but will probably EU elements contained in the story. Also Pablo Hidalgo has been consulted (read his star wars blog), so we can asse this is due to continuity issues and potentially EU continuity?

Also, not having skywalkers appear in EPVII would be like Jedi appearing in the movie without Jedi robes. It's gonna happen.

24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well she sure didn't seem too broken up when he died, but I guess that's another matter. I just think that there's at least a fair chance that once she learns her true Skywalker lineage, she will want to honor it by taking that name, especially after Anakin dies a hero. It seems plausible enough to me anyway, and that's all that matters if they decide to go that route.

25. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Her full name in EU is leia organa solo. Seems pretty straight forward to me. No need to mess with this small piece of continuity.