main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Skywalkers and deaths of the major villains

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Jun 2, 2018.

1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I find it interesting that other than Maul, the deaths of pretty much all the main saga villains (dark side users) are at the hands of Skywalkers:

Tyranus - Anakin
    Sidious - Anakin
    Snoke - Ben

It would have been fitting of Maul had been killed by a Skywalker showing only the Chosen One and his descendents were destined to beat the Sith

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I wonder what that means for the end of the ST...
    Will they mirror the beginning of the Saga by making Rey a Kenobi and have her cut Kylo in half?

3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Then he'd be just Fyvehundred Ren.

4. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Snoke is a Sith? o_O

ZodaEX likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well, if he walks like a Sith, talks like a Sith, and quacks like a Sith, what's a duck?

6. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Good question. We might have found out except Rian Johnson found Snoke boring (which I agree with) so he killed him (which I think was unsatisfying).

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That seems more like coincidence. So far all the movies that focused on the force were mainly driven by the Skywalkers. It's kind of hard for someone else to kill the evil force-users, when the majority of people in a position to do so have been Skywalkers. The only movie in which that wasn't really the case, a non Skywalker killed a Sith.

You can't just take the concept of evil force-users just being killed by Skywalkers in the few movies we've got so far (which isn't even true due to Obi Wan killing Maul, disregarding his "rebirth" later on) and assume that this means that only Skywalkers could kill evil force-users. X leading to Y doesn't automatically mean that Y leads to X as well.

And if you move from killing big villains to only Skywalkers being destined to beating the Sith, you have to include another factor: Palpatine killing Plagueis, which throws a wrench into the theory ;)

Generally speaking: they went towards having more "regular" people taking up the mantle of hero again, with the force chosing whoever it feels like to fill a required role (which also fits to Anakin Skywalker as well, he came from a random family), it would be very unlikely for them to head for "only Skywalkers could deal with the Sith" again.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Maybe it’s another type of rebranding. If the Empire became First Order and the Rebellion became the Resistance then maybe the Sith became the...Soth?

Sarge likes this.
  9. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    The Sith are a religion with specific traditions, principles and a code.

Erkan12 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They are now the Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Sarge like this.
  11. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Anakin Killed Palpitine as well

12. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well maybe Qui-Gon knows the difference between a duck and a Sith ;)

''My only conclusion can be that it was a Sith lord.''

13. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    To add to this fun and perceptive theory, it can be said that Anakin kills Vader. ;)

It's made me think of the secondary villains and even who kills heroes (or good guys).

Obi Wan kills Maul (both times).

Mace kills Jango.

Obi Wan kills Grievous.

Luke kills Tarkin by blowing up death star.

That suicidal A-wing pilot kills Piet.

Han "kills" Boba Fett (if he did indeed die in NuCanon)

Anakin kills Nute Gunray and Rune Haako and also killed the Nemodians aboard the droid control ship in TPM (which includes Tey How and Daulty Dofine).

Anakin kills the rest of the Separatist leaders too.

Now for heroes...

Anakin/Vader kills all of the Jedi in the temple.

Vader kills Obi Wan.

Maul kills Qui Gon.

Anakin and Palpatine kill Mace.

Kylo Ren kills the new Jedi.

Kylo Ren kills Han.

What about defeats without killing?

Dooku defeats both Anakin and Obi in AOTC.

Yoda defeats Dooku in AOTC.

Obi Wan defeats Anakin at the end of ROTS.

Rey defeats Kylo Ren in TFA.

Vader defeats Luke in ESB.

Luke defeats Vader in ROTJ.

Mace defeats Palpatine in ROTS.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  14. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Anakin has the biggest Sith lord kill count, which includes himself :cool:

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Everyone here seems to have forgotten that Leia kills Jabba. Chalk up another homicide for Clan Skywalker.

vncredleader likes this.
  16. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Yes I was just about to add Leia killing Jabba! How could I forget the Hutt Slayer?

17. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    It's interested me lately how little killing bad guys actually seems to accomplish in this story. Kill Maul (presumably) and you just get Dooku. Kill Dooku and you get Vader. Kill the Emperor and bring an end to a dynasty of evil that had plagued the Jedi for thousands of years, and you get Snoke, some random guy no one had heard of who wasn't directly connected to any of that mess but who could absolutely inflict a third straight generation with horribly destructive war. Seems like a theme to me, as if the films are saying that the Jedi did misread the prophecy; that you can't bring balance to the Force by killing the bad guy, because there's always another bad guy.

Same goes for superweapons. Blew up the Death Star? Yay! But here comes another Death Star. Blew that one up also? Have a Starkiller Base. All of them get destroyed, but that doesn't help Alderaan or the Hosnian system.

And now Ben has killed Snoke, and still no balance. So maybe Ep IX will conclude this saga by showing another, more effecttive way to bring balance. I seem to recall that Joseph Campbell had quite a bit to say about transcending dualities. "Darkness rises, and light to meet it." "Powerful light ... powerful darkness." Can this cycle be broken? Time will tell, but my hunch is that this isn't all concluded by killing another bad guy.

Sarge, Cave of Erised and BlackRanger like this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Luke kills Vader

19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    How? That was a passive "kill"

Not even giving Anakin credit for his own death [face_shame_on_you]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  20. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Wait, so did The Emperor, Luke or Anakin kill Vader? I guess i've always assumed it was the Emperor but after reading this thread i'm not too sure.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends on how vital you think Vader's mask is to keeping him alive.

"Luke - help me take this mask off."
    "But you'll die."

It may be that taking it off hastened the death of Vader slightly, even if he was already dying from Palpatine's lightning.

Another question is "What did Palpatine's lightning do that killed Vader/Anakin - wound him, or wreck his suit's life support systems?"

In the Ryder Windham Junior RoTJ novelisation which was updated for the newcanon - we have this after the Emperor's death:

From where he lay, Luke could tell by the rasping rattle from Vader's helmet that his breathing apparatus was broken. Luke crawled the short distance to his father's side and pulled him away from the abyss.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018