main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Slacker Con

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Stalker, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    just ordered a card...hopefully it gets here before I leave next week.

2. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    wow that's quite a crowd!

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Okay, looks like I have to go to North Carolina that weekend (sorry, Satimber, and I was looking forward to another round of "Whose Empire is it, Anyway?" :cool: ), but I'm keeping Empire Con (?) and Balticon on my possibles list.

Celebration III is DEFINITELY on the list.

4. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    :_|

Renata...I was looking forward to seeing you again. :(

Oh well...I guess I can wait until April for Empire Fan Fest and Mark Hamill to see you. :p

I am trying to get some of the PHAT members from the area to go...

5. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Yay! Come to Balticon! With enough of us, it'll be cool.

6. Nave

Nave Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2002
    Does anyone here know Tim Zahn's policy on signings?

I plan on buying the book at that book store to be signed but may see if I can get him to sign a SW hat too (Going to try and get as many SW sigs on this hat as possible, not to sell but just to have).

Do you know if he refuses to sign anything other then his current book or what?

Also is SlackerCon going to be posted on the main FF.net page for all to see that this event is happening?

Nave

7. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    I wish I knew his policy.

As for posting on the Main page...

As if it would be posted.

They are so behind on some postings...it is not even funny.

8. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm not sure they'd want to post something we've called SlackerCon. Hehehe. But we shall see.

9. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    Valerie, I take it that you are looking into this already? Thanks. And yeah, they may not want to be associated with SlackerCon but we'll give them the chance to pretend to be cool ;)

10. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    The area is reserved and it looks like we will have our own room. They seemed to be appreciative when I told them that we wanted the place from 6:00 until closing (1:00 AM).

For those who do not want to drive there, there is a metro station less than a block away and directly across the street from the signing. Its the Courthouse stop on the Orange line. Parking around there is a bit pricey.

I look forward to seeing you all there. :)

Edit: P.S. I did tell them that we should pay as we go as I do not want to get stuck with a $2,000 bill at the end of the night and I am sure that neither of you would want to be trapped at the end of the night with others "forgetting to pay" as they left either. Unfortunately I have seen this happen all too oftem at big get togethers.

Also, All of the non-smokers (most of the attendees) will be relieved to know that I am getting a non smoking section.

11. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    Paying as we go sounds good to me :)

I dont think my group of three will be there till 1 am though lol :) We're hoping to get up early Sunday and do a little DC touring before heading back home southward.

I stole this from Summer's Website:
    Parking
    A relatively large metered parking lot sits across from the Arlington Courthouse. A massive underground garage exists underneath three large buildings along Clarendon Blvd and stretches underneath the AMC movie complex. The Courthouse, Jail, Police Station and most other important Arlington County administrative functions occur within a two block area. While it is one of the safest areas of the county, your chances of getting ticketed are higher here than anywhere outside of the District .

Use the garage after 5 PM and on weekends (it is FREE during these times) when the spaces above ground near Summers are filled. Just make sure you allow yourself a little extra time to park the car and emerge from the bowels of the complex. The lower levels usually do not fill up on weekends, but weekdays until 5 PM are reserved for the businesses that inhabit the complex. Take your bearings and walk to Summers in time NOT to miss any early goals.

Are there any big sport games that night?

12. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Nave, thanks for gathering that info on parking. Its weird that you found all of that out when I was up there last night and couldn't seem to find any place to park. I guess I should read more and explore less. Now I may drive up there instead of taking the Metro myself.

As for big games...I don't think so. The owner wasn't aware of any that is why he offered us a room to ourselves. He said that way we could have a nice quiet room...I thought that was too funny especially since all the people that I already know that are coming to this are anything but quiet :)

13. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    Reason I asked about games was cause I was thinking if there was a game THEN we may have to fight on parking :)

14. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    It's Saturday night - you WILL have to fight on parking if you try for street parking. But the garage is really big, even if it's a bit hard to find sometimes - look for the police station. And if you can Metro, I highly recommend it. Metro's open until 2 or so.

15. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Eugenia, you have a point BUT for those that will be there early for the book signing they will probably get there at about 3:30. Parking may still be an option.

16. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Just give me a place to park my car, that I can get to, so that I can leave...from Summer's.

I figure I can leave about 11:00 PM or so...I got a 3 hour drive home.

We are 5 days away.

17. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Shawn, are you sure you want to take that trip that late at night? You can crash at my place if you change your mind.

18. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Roger...I will keep that in mind.

I just desperately want to get back to my daughter.

19. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    I understand entirely Shawn. I just don't want you to feel like you have no option though.

20. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    It's Courthouse - my advice is to give yourself lots of time to look for parking, any time of day. You can find it, it's just never easy. And always check the meters - you will get a ticket if it's a pay on Saturday meter that you let run out.

21. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Roger,

You will need to subtract Wendy from the list. She is not able to get a sitter for her son.

Also, I will not be at the signing, but I will be at the restaurant at 6 for the dinner.

22. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Awww... that sucks.

23. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    The official list of confirmed attendees here...
    ----
    Me
    Liz
    Eugenia
    Ken
    Shawn
    Valerie
    Heather
    Jeff
    Tim
    Nave +3
    Ric +1
    501st members from Tyranus Garrison (x6)
    Greencat +4 (Pittsburg)

Thats an even 25 but I really want to hear something from the 501st just to see if anything has changed either way for them.

24. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Roger...thanks...I know that there are options.

I appreciate it.

25. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry I can't go Rog, but I had to choose this weekend or the following weekend for a sitter.

Have fun without me. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.