main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Slacker Con

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Stalker, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    awww, we will miss you Wendy. :(

2. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    :( its okay. I understand. I had to put my weekend with Zar off after I found out that President's Day weekend and Valentine's Day weekend were one in the same. She understands though and it was crazy scheduling for her in the first place. It was a weekend cursed from the beginning :(

3. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    I'm organizing the book signing and Slackercon attendance for Garrison Tyranus; we are expected to have 10 people from the Virginia 501st garrison, 5 from Maryland, and possibly one or two from North Carolina attending. I'm encouraging all of them to attend Slackercon. It should be a good show!

We'll also be at Farpoint science fiction convention in Hunt Valley, MD at the Hunt Valley Marriott on 2/13-2/15, and marching in the George Washington Parade in Alexandria, VA on 2/16: February looks to be a great Star Wars month! Please feel free to join us for any or all of these events, and to PM me for additional details. Thanks!

4. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    I scouted the location of the signing over the weekend and have better directions and details on parking to help everyone get there.

The signing starts at 4 PM at Olsson's Books and Records at 2111 Wilson Blvd. in Arlington, VA.

The bookstore is located on Wilson Blvd. between Veitch Street and Uhle Street. Please note that if you look it up on Mapquest, it totally misses that
    Wilson Blvd. is a one-way street. You need to turn right onto Clarendon Blvd. eastbound off of Courthouse Road, turn left onto Rhodes Street, and then left again onto Wilson Blvd. to get to the
    bookstore. For those of you who are totally confused at this point, detailed directions follow.

Olsson's Books and Records
    2111 Wilson Boulevard
    Arlington, VA 22201
    Books: (703) 525-4227
    Store is located right by Courthouse Metro stop

Directions from Beltway via I-395:
    (From Richmond: Take I-95 North to I-395 North, then follow directions below)
    Take I-495 to I-395 North
    Merge onto WASHINGTON BLVD/VA-27 W via exit number 8A toward VA-244/COLUMBIA PIKE
    Merge onto ARLINGTON BLVD/US-50 E toward WASHINGTON
    Take the ramp toward COURT HOUSE ROAD
    Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto N COURTHOUSE RD
    Turn right onto Clarendon Blvd.
    Turn left onto Rhodes Street
    Turn LEFT onto WILSON BLVD
    End at 2111 WILSON BLVD ARLINGTON VA

You can also take the Beltway to Rt. 50 Eastbound, and then exit on Court House Road as described above. There are a lot of stoplights on Route 50 before you reach Court House Road, however.

Parking:

I would recommend parking at the Arlington County Administrative Center parking garage located on the 2100 block of Clarendon Blvd. To get there, pass the bookstore and Veitch Street and make a u-turn so you are proceeding eastbound on Clarendon Blvd. The parking garage will be on your right at 2100/2200/2300 Clarendon Blvd. There is metered parking which is free on Saturdays according to the
    signs on the meters. The parking garage is only about 2-3 blocks from the store.

There is also metered parking on the street in front of the store and on the side streets, but you have to pay for those meters on Saturdays, so bring quarters just in case.

Attendance is expected to be large, and there is not that much room in the store itself. It would be wise to dress warmly in case you have to spend time waiting outside the store.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. This should be an excellent event, and I hope to see you on Saturday!

-Midi-ChlorianLori
    Garrison Tyranus
    501st Legion of Stormtroopers

5. Nave

Nave Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2002
    I thanked ya in the Del-Rey thread but thanks again for the directions :)

Wow its going to be a good size crowd lol :D

This bodes well for that store maybe having more in the future since we'll be giving them a good attendence :D (well I suppose they care more about a good number of sales ;) )

Nave

6. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Excellent directions. See everyone there - or at Summers at least.

7. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    I was coming to ask for directions but my mind has been read! ;) After reading those, I think I might Metro. Heh.

8. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    /hijack

Im going to be touring DC a little bit on Sunday. My group is planning on hitting the Washington Monument, and the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials.

Wanted to do the White House but its closed on Sundays.

Any suggestions on cheap/free stuff to do other then those 3 things? :D

Nave

9. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    The museums are also along the mall and are also free. There's Air & Space, Natural History, American History, National Gallery of Art, etc. Also, the Vietnam memorial is near Lincoln.

10. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Yeah the Museums are awesome. You won't have time to fully appreciate everything but spend as much time as you can at the Natural History Museum. They have everything from the Hope Diamond to giant dinosaur skeletons. A really cool place :)

11. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    If you want to go to the top of the Washington Monument, check on the web - I think you can get tickets for specific times which is way better than waiting in line!

12. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Nave, Don't forget to add The Capital building and The Library of Congress to your list of stops.

Edit: But watch out for the Ricin puddles...

13. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Check ahead for the Capitol - I know you can get on the grounds, but tours are another matter altogether, and who knows how this whole ricin thing will affect that. And the Library of Congress is great! There's also the Botanical Gardens near the Capitol, which is awfully nice in cold weather.

14. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    I love DC.

*cough*

15. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    If you are out late at night you might get lucky and see a bum fight. The trouble is that they always seem to happen in front of a metro entrance that I need to go into to get home.

16. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Bum fights are cool. On cold nights, if you offer the winter a bottle of Brandy it gets really good.

17. fakename99

fakename99 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    That is so mean Roger. However, I still laughed when I read it.

18. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Hooker fights are also fun.

19. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    /\Sooo many things I could add to that. Be thankful I'm a gentleman :p

20. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    /\ Who accused you of being a gentleman? :eek:

21. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Hey, it could happen.

22. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    /\ Yeah and I could get yet ANOTHER postcard from a chimpanzee.

23. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    Please stop killing my thread.

24. Nave

Nov 5, 2002
    The White House and the Capital are closed on Sundays :( So it the Library of Congress (I think from their site).

I think we're just going to do the Washington Monument (very few tickets reserved so far for Sunday so I think we'll be ok with getting the Free ones at the kiosk), the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials, and then the Smithsonians (American History and Natural History).

Hopefully we'll be able to fit that stuff in along with lunch and still get home at a reasonable time :D Stupid work on Monday :p

Nave

25. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I blame the ricin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.