main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Slave Bikini

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Paradoxigirl, May 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I was talking about the wrist bracelets-they both turned out great-can't wait to see a full view of you in your Leia outfit!
    Oh-btw-what I wouldn't do to have your figure! :D
    How did you form the Premo Sculpey to fit like that? What did you use to paint over it, and for the circular orbs on the Leia belt? Looks good!

2. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I forgot, Anthony did not get to see me in this one, however, all of the actors that were signing certainly did and I got some lovely responses from Kenny Baker, David Prowse, Amy Allen, and Billy Dee Williams, among others *big grin*

As far as a chain goes, I don't think I'm going to do it. All the publicity pics of Carrie don't have her wearing it and the gal that wore the slave Leia with the big coat over it at CII had one on and someone said everyone kept yanking on it. So, instead of me having to beat someone silly from yanking my chain, I think I'm going to skip it (at least for now, may change my mind later)

*Blushing at the compliments of my figure*
    As far as getting the premo to fit like it does. The bra I used wire to make a framework that I worked around my chest to fit perfectly. As far as the bracelets, I had to make a form out of posterboard that was the same size of my wrist, then place the bracelt forms over it once made and keep them on it while baking so they would keep their shape. The arm band for slave Leia I actually made it smaller (when not on it has 4 wraps in it) howwever, when I put it on, it flexes so much that it will uncoil as I put it on and then just has 3 wraps to it around my arm, that way it is nice and snug. (I hope this makes sense)

As for the forms on the skirt piece, I molded the clay over the outside of a round tablespoon measuring spoon, then peeled it off and trimmed the edge a little and glued them with a 2 part epoxy. However, the ones on the hair pieces were done using 1 1/2 inch covered button kits and just molded the clay over them and left them on the button and glued the buttons on.

For Katana slave, no painting was done. For Slave Leia, I used gold Premo sculpey, then applied a thin layer of the Tulip dimensional paint in gold over the surface to make it match the detail work that I also did with the same paint. Then applied Krylon clear coat over it (which is not shown in the pictures except of the completed skirt and completed top. That made the paint feel dry and no longer tacky like.

Sorry for the long post.

3. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    Cool! you met Kenny baker!?!?!?!?! he must've saw you in that, and grew a few feet!

4. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    As always, Mirax, you do awesome work!!!! So when are you going to come down to Phoenix and give us a Fashion Show? ;) :D

5. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Mirax-I just realized something! I thought the sandals you wore looked familiar, and it turns out they are a favourite among bellydancers...for using in parades, er situations where going barefoot isn't an option, but giving that exotic bare look...
    I also plan on using these for my slave outfit, but when things progress that far, I will be dyeing them...
    Did you order yours in your street shoe size, or a size smaller? I was wondering about the fit, since some companies suggest ordering a size smaller...
    I haven't yet decided when I make mine whether I am going to use sintra or sculpey...I'd like to hear from some people who have used sintra and what they thougth about it...to have some comparisons...

6. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Yes, Mr Baker's eyes certainly got big when he noticed what I was wearing, or rather not wearing.

I wish I could go to Comic Con with you guys Obey, just not in the budget so gonna crash a Trek convention instead withSlave Leia. Not sure when my next trip to Phoenix will be, not till it cools down a bit :)

As to the shoes, I bought them at a dance store so I got to try them on. I believe I did but them in a 7, same as my regular shoes. I actually figured that if I ever decided to do Oola, I could dye them for that. Let me know how the dying works on them if you do it.

7. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Hey mirax, great site!
    I just got finshed with my top, and i am
    *almost* finished with the pelvic pieces, after that I am done! Yay!! I am hopefully finishing it this weekend, and I will have a site up soon with an extensive tutorial on mine as well....eep! this costume is so much work, more then one would think hehe. :)

8. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    post pics when you're dine, zam!

9. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Mierax --when and where is the trek convention? Is it the same time as Comic Con? ?[face_plain]

If it's a different time, and an easy drive, I'll bet a lot of the PFF folks would come join you.

Your local Rebel Fleet Trooper is always available to defend the Pricess. ;) :D

10. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    Dont know if you may be interested, but someone I work with brough a copy of FHM magazine out and it had a tutorial of how to make the slave leia bikini in it. I would assume it's the lates issue but I didn't check. It's in the section (which the slave bikine made!) for sexiest bikinis in movies - or something like that.

11. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Zam- Definitely must post pics for us!

Obey- It is the same weekend as Comic Con:(
    I swear I am going to Comic Con next year (I seem to say this every year but I think we are going incorporate it into a vacation to the wine country as well) And a princess always needs protection!

12. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Stubbzilla crashed Grand Slam (Pasadena Trek convention) in her Slave Leia outfit.

Got LOTS of attention.

13. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Cool! I wasn't completely sure about doing it, thought I might get a lot of crap from people, and a lot of "who are you?"

14. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Oi ! On second thought, my costume wasn't finished this weekend :(
    But alas, It is getting there! I am DEFINITELY posting pics when I am through!
    Hey who is on the cover of FHM this month?? I must go to the store and look at this metal bikini tutorial! ;)

15. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    "thought I might get a lot of crap from people"

If Klingons can come to Celebration, surely a Slave Leia can go to a Trek convention.

16. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    aRRRGH!!! I finally put my costume on and something just wasnt right. Does anyone have any suggestions for the "sides" of the skirt and how to attatch them to the skirt pieces? And I came to realize my elastic was too thin on the bra, and would anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the top on? Sorry, I feel like an idiot [face_plain]

17. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Jedi Toren, I remember those Klingons, was disapointed they didn't come to CII.

Zam, those side pieces are a bitch to do. It took several times to try and get everything tight enough to stay on. I used black 1/4 inch elastic and attached it to the back skirt piece on each side. I made metal loops on the inside of the side pieces that I could loop the elastic through and then used hooks and eyes on the front skirt piece that they attached to. I had to keep making the elastic tighter so it would stay up. My metal skirt pieces attach to the skirt, make sure they are on as you tighten the elastic as they will weigh it all down. As to elastic on the top, I'm not sure where you are using it, I didn't use any on my top.

18. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Hey Mirax, what would you reccomend for the keeping the bra on to where it wont just fall off? that is the only thing that is a concern for me, and those stupid side pieces hehe.....oh and did you use sculpey for the entire part of the skirt pieces (i.e. the plates?) I first used sculpey, but it was too heavy and ended up breaking in half :( , then i used foamies and hot glued it to carddboard, then i used puffy paint to make the swirly designs on them. What would you reccomend?

19. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Hey there everyone, sorry I haven't had time to come on and post recently...augh, it's exam year and the teachers are really piling the homework on...

Mirax: Do you still need a good picture for the bracelet? I have one that's not bad, just don't know if you have it. If you want it, just say so and it's yours. =)

Good luck, everyone, can't wait to see all the results of your hard work! =)

20. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Paradoxigirl- Sure, can never have too many reference pics!

Zam- I used premo sculpey for everything, is different than regular sculpey, doesn't break easily. The bra actually stays on well. I designed it the same as the original, with the piece that wraps around the rib cage. I just used some lacing I had around the house but will get black leather to tie and criss cross in the back. Maybe you can send a pic of the top and explain what isn't working. Is it a fitting problem? Are you tying it tight enough? The way it is designed, it shouldn't fall off.

21. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    And there's nothing saying it would be necessarily bad if it did fall off! ;)

22. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
  23. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Just listening to this...there could be a few things that are wrong...
    The front frame of the bra piece should fit like an underwire bra at the bottom point-framing the underneath of your breast if you will-so it will not "come up" when you are in movement. The side parts of the frame should also be snug-basically holding your breasts perfectly in place. You need to be using a strong enough cord to tye it in the back-I don't really recommend what it called "rattail cord" like you can get in the trim section at the fabric store-it is too "satiny" and will not stay tied well...
    Use a cord with a bit rougher texture-not slippery smooth.
    If the bra fits as properly as it should-it is the frame that will hold itself to your chest, and you will not need elastic-once again-elastic is going more towards a soft cup bra-this is designed more like an underwire.
    If you don't normally wear this type of bra-go try on on in a fitting room-you will see what I mean.
    Hope that helps a bit...

24. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Ok! I tried a piece of thick cord, and it worked like a charm! i am going to be taking a picture of it tonight or tomorrow, and i will post it up on this thread....... thanks for the tips everyone!!!
    Hey Mirax, have you ever worked with that flex-sculpey? it is made so that it can be molded and baked into "flat" surfaces. I was looking at it yesterday at Michael's, and it looked like it would be perfect for skirt plates.....since it is made to bend and all...hmm....dilemma dilemma..... :)

Oh yea, to nien, ;)

25. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Glad it is working out better! Can't wait to see it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.