main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Slave Bikini

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Paradoxigirl, May 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Mirax, I forgot to ask, Is it ok to put posterboard in the oven? I never did that before, because i was afraid it would start a fire........so it is ok ? Or did I misinterpret what you said? Just wondering, for future reference... :)

2. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Zam- I don't know if it is ok, but i did do it so I could keep my bracelets' shape. To get the bend in the skirt plates and the 2 hair pieces, I laid them over something (I used a glass cup for the hair pieces. I think the plates, I waited till they were out of the oven and then put them over something big and round (like a koolaid jug) while cooling to give a concave shape. I got a sample of the sculpey flex but went with premo since it had more colors (specifically silver and gold) and could buy it in 1lb packages too (I used 3 for each slave costume)

3. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Just out of morbid curiosity: when you've done the hair pieces, how do you attach them to your head.

In fact, how exactly does the whole Slave Leia hairdo work anyway? I know that the two sort of sun-like ones go on the side, so am I correct in my assumption that there is a bun with the top half of the hair, the sides of which the sun-like pieces are attached?

Then with the bottom half of the hair, there is a braid, which I think also has its own accessory--but what accessory and how is it positioned and attached?

4. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    I honestly don't know about the hairdo but what you said was basically what I was gonna do. I'm going to use and epoxy to attach bobby pins to the insides of all the hair pieces.

5. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Man, all I have to say is If you are are new to costuming, like myself, DO NOT choose this as your first project. Hehe,

There is a LOT more to this than myself and other people would realize. I have had failure after failure with the whole entire skirt ensemble. It is definitely a lot harder then it would seem to be. But it has been a learning experience above all.
    Well, I came to realize that my skirt pieces are just too bland ,so I am starting all over on the skirt, and I used velvet for the skirt. This fabric seems to be too heavy to hold up. What kind of lightweight fabric would you suggest?

6. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Mine is like a satin. It is not too heavy at all. I I know what you mean about failure. I tried several methods to do my first slave costume and my husband kept saying to give it up. But I finally found a way to make it work.

7. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Hi, everyone. How are costumes in progress coming along? I have a nice pic of Leia's slave hairdo from the Art of Return Of The Jedi, if anyone wants it, tell me and I'll put it up.

8. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    That would be fantastic! I still have my boots to do. Actually bought some stuff yesterday to try and get them done.

9. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Mirax you are just awsome. I like the changes to the website

10. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    Okay, it's not letting me hotlink. Sorry, but it looks like it's going to be a cut and paste job...

http://www.geocities.com/paradoxigirl/leiaslave.JPG

By the way, nice page, Mirax...

11. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Thank you both very much! I just learned how to write code so that is my first attempt! That is a good picture of her hair. I just wish I could get a straight back view of it darn it!

12. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    i'm reworking the site right now. I have some new pics of Lisa's stuff.

13. Paradoxigirl

May 5, 2002
    I know how you feel, Mirax, I wish they'd just show us the pictures already! There's a brief moment in the film where she's watching Luke and Han through the window of the sail barge, and we see a full back view...but it's not much to go on.

I'm dying over here in University applications, so I've had no time whatsoever to even think about costuming...sigh...

Anyhow, good luck to everyone for everything! =)

14. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, I finally started one of my boots last night! We'll see how well this goes. Never made boots before.

15. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    We've finally put up some more photos of stuff on www.azeem2000.com. One of them is of the side of my Slave Leia boot. I was worried about making the boots, too, but they actually turned out to be really simple to make. Mirax, I hope you have good luck with yours.

16. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Thanks! So far they are going ok. I need to make all the gold decoration for them next. That is the part I am dreading! The site is looking good Stubbzilla!

17. Stubbzilla

Jan 30, 2001
    The gold part was actually really straight forward out of sintra. The only problem I had was that I sanded mine too much and made it weak, then when I squated, one snapped and I had to glue it back together.

All I did was trace out the design on a big piece of sintra, use a dremel to cut it out, then boil a pot of water, dip the sintra in, and bend to the shape you want while you're wearing the boot. After I got the shape, I glued the leather to the sintra. It made it stiff enough to stand up by itself, which is nice, and won't happen if you use a material that's too flexible.

18. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    I'll be making my detailing out of premo sculpey. Don't know why I'm dreading it, just for some reason, I've been putting it off. Stupid cause it is really all I have left to do, besides just a few minor details and alterations.

19. Stubbzilla

Jan 30, 2001
    I considered using sculpey for the boots, but didn't want to have to make some sort of support mold to bake it on. How are you baking it but keeping the curved shape it's going to need?

20. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, I will use 22 guage wire, as I did for my top, and place the clay on top of it. If I do need more support, then I will just use poster board rolled into the approximate diameter of my boot and keep the frame on that while it baked. I've used the poster board before for my bracelets and it worked great. I'm going to post some pics of what I have so far for boots later today.

21. Stubbzilla

Jan 30, 2001
    Hmm, I didn't think of using poster board. I would have thought that would cause problems in an oven.

22. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, I thought so too but I've used it several times with no problems. Granted, I do place it in a glass baking dish so it isn't in contact with the wire racks. I guess it must be a low enough temp that it doesn't cause a problem. Here's pics of my boots:
    [image=http://www.mirax.iwarp.com/slaveleia/boots.jpg]
    [image=http://www.mirax.iwarp.com/slaveleia/boots01.jpg]
    [image=http://www.mirax.iwarp.com/slaveleia/boots02.jpg]
    [image=http://www.mirax.iwarp.com/slaveleia/boots03.jpg]

23. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    They look good, Mirax. *smile*

24. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Thank you!

25. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Cool boots Mirax, as always you do a fantastic job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.