main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Slave Leia... help?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nidrail, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Hello everyone!!!!

I know there's a slave leia thread already, and i read through it, but it is locked. Also the pictures in there are outdated, as they no longer show up on the sites, so I had to ask:

does anyone have a good picture of the bracelet leia wears on her right wrist, and also a picture of the gold hair pieces she wears?

if anyone does, I would be VERY grateful. I am almost finished making this costume for my doll, and that is the only pieces left that I have not yet done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
    ~nidrail

2. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Never mind... I found some great pictures, thanks! I was too late to edit my other post though...

~Nidrail

3. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    http://www.rebellegionfrance.com/ewoks/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=375

Go here and click on "album" when you see it !

4. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    http://www.leiasmetalbikini.com

That's a great source for this project. Hope that helps!

5. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    thank you thank you both of you!!! fantastic pictures!!! alright, back to work... almost finished. I have the main parts finished, I just have yet to finish her collar and her hair pieces. :)

~N

6. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    hey BTW does anyone know a good way to make the armband (the curly snake-like one) for a doll??

~N

7. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Insulated wire painted gold? That's my thought. It sure would be easy to form.

8. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    wow, never heard of the stuff. Do you know if it can it be shaped? I have to curl the edges, to make it look right. I would just use clay, but for a doll, I am not sure how it would stay on and still be tight fitting. Delemmas! :) Thank you for the tip, Jedi_Loreen!!

Also, do you know where the best place to buy the stuff is?

~N

9. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I just meant normal electical wire, it's what I'm familiar with, since I'm more of a prop and lightsaber builder than into doing the more "girly" stuff of costume making. ;) :p I guess I approach things from a different direction, being that way.

You should have no problems spiraling it. Making coil shapes for the ends might take a little practice though, but it should be doable. The kind with the solid copper core (as opposed to stranded) is pretty stiff and should hold it's shape.

I was thinking it might be easier to put onto a doll arm than clay, and once you get it on, you can probably pull it a little tighter. You might even be able to find some sort of wire used in making beaded bracelets or jewelry that's already gold colored. Though I'm not too familiar with that kind of craft.

10. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow, thank you! I shall try that!!! Sunday I go to the store, so I'll look into it then. Thank you very much!!!

Well, I finished vs. 1 just now... :)
    The top is perfect, I've got the armband and shoes done to perfection, but I found I needed a different shade of fabric for the main part, and I have to redo a couple of the clay pieces on the sides. Also I've got to do her hair, and then Voila, she's done! So as soon as I get pics I'll get them up, but it'll be about two weeks. The camera has run off ;) lol with my parents. :)

Thank you again for the tip, Jedi_Loreen!! That's fantastic! I am going to enjoy this... :)

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

11. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I hope it works! Post pics in the Doll costume thread when you are done! Or here?

I don't do that kind of thing, but I enjoy seeing the work you girls do in that thread!
    :)

12. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Okay, wierd story here. As many of you whom have spawned may already know, Barbies are quite possibly the most mutilated toy in the universe. Those and green army men. One day whilst pondering what to do with a decapitated barbie, I decided to pop the top off of a C-3PO pez dispenser and do a head transplant. After bolting the head onto the doll, I took some heavy copper wire and a Crown Royal bag and made a very passable slave Leia costume for my cyber-mutant barbie. It suddenly occurred to me what a sick and twisted individual I really am. This abomination was too horrid to allow to exist so I dropped it in the trash. A week later I saw it at a flea market for 15 dollars. Somebody was dumpster-diving and apparently thought it was a collectable.

I think coiled copper wire will do you well for the armbands and be moe durable than sculpy.

13. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    I'll probly post pics in the doll thread. It is really amazing what those ladies in there do... all of them have been inspirations to me... but anthony and his padme doll are the reason I started doing serious doll costumes in the first place. I thought they looked so beatuiful, I wanted to learn how to do that!!!

LOL I am using a tonner doll but yeah, gold coil wire would probably work great. Now I just have to buy some...

~N

14. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    No need to buy anything. an 8-inch pieace of ROMEX (the wiring in your house) should do what you want to do. You should be able to scrounge a piece.

15. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Heh, it depends on what year your house was constructed.

There was no Romex 45 years ago when my mom's house where I'm back living again, was constructed. I've seen some of the wiring inside these walls and it's kinda scary.

Speaking of Barbies (I never got to have any kids, and now I'm too old to even want to think about it), I used to torture and mutilate my dolls, being the tomboy that I was, it was more fun.

Unfortunately, I had one of the original Barbies that came out, I think, in 1960. :eek: (original owner, yeah, I'm that old) I wish I still had that one! I wonder what it would be worth now? Maybe I don't want to know!

16. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    OMG Loreen!!! I wish you had it too!!!

Hey Btw I finished the leia slave all except for the armband. (earrrings, hairpieces, shoes, bracelet, bikini, collar & chain) I found some jewelery wire that was great, except it isn't half thick enough for that armband.

Any other ideas what might work for the band??

Also, one of my other tonner dolls, her arm came off once, at the elbow. It goes back together nicely, but I was wondering... what if I made an armband from clay, removed her arm and put the bracelet there? If I were to sell just the outfit, do you think that would work? I'm busy working on another design for the armband, trying different things to make it work. Never thought it would be this difficult!! :( Oh well back to work! At least it keeps me busy :)

Any ideas greatly appreciated!! And BTW I will have the pics of the finished costume sometime after april 3rd. That's when my camera gets back, see.

~N

17. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    'lectrical wire

18. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    *facepalms* Why didn't I realize it was electrical wire??

Anyhow, I finished it today!!! I actually made it out of clay and then just cut out a section about half a centimeter long, and it fit right over her thumb, and still fits snugly on her arm!!

So now the only thing left is the fabric, which warrents another trip to the store...

thank you all!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

19. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    [image=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/navarre1095/IMG_0235.jpg]

Is this what you're looking for?

20. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    is that electrical wire?? It's beautiful!

Well, I went to the store today, but they didn't have the right shade of fabric for me to finish this costume :( but sunday I get another chance!

~N

21. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    It's yours if you want it.The band, NOT my leia doll.

22. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    OMG really? Oh Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! It's beautiful!

23. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    PM me, I'll mail you this one and a slightly larger one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.