main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Slavic Literature: The Novels of Lukyanenko, Vasilyev and Sapkowski

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Cobranaconda, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Back in the late 19th Century, Russian authors were some of the best (Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Pushkin, etc), but then sort of faded out during the Cold War. Now, however, they seem to be getting back into the swing of things, most of which are in the fantasy genre.

Russia isn't the only country experiencing this. Poland seems to be getting a boost also.

I am, of course, referring to 3 authors in particular. Sergei Lukyanenko, Vladimir Vasilyev, and Andrzej Sapkowski.

Sergei Lukyanenko is the author of the now quite well-known "World of Watches" novels: Nochnoi Dozor (Night Watch), Dnevnoi Dozor (Day Watch), Sumerechniy Dozor (Twilight Watch) and Posledniy Dozor (Final Watch). The first story in the novel Nochnoi Dozor was made into a film of the same name three years ago, and the second and third stories of the novel were combined in order to make the film Dnevnoi Dozor (Day Watch), which has nothing to do with the Day Watch novel at all. The first three novels have now been translated into English by Andrew Bromfield, and I have no idea when the fourth one is coming out.

Andrzej Sapkowski is a Polish author who writes general fantasy. His main work is The Witcher series, which is basically about a freelance magician (Witcher) called Geralt who wanders around doing odd magical jobs for whoever can pay. The short story collection known as the Last Wish has been translated and released now, and it's damn good. I have no idea when the novels are coming though.

Vladimir Vasilyev is linked to both of the above authors. He co-wrote Dnevnoi Dozor with Lukyanenko, and transposed Geralt The Witcher into some of his own stories. He writes in "all genres except boring ones."

Anyway, the New Wave of Slavic Literature has hit hard, and it's all damn good. What's more, English readers are reading it, which is extremely good.

I have no idea about US release dates for some of these books though :p

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've been meaning to get the first Witcher book since I first heard about it.

I also need to get more Dostoevsky as well.

It'd be even better if I could read them in their original languages, but I'll settle for translations.

3. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Reasons this thread won't get many (or any) responses:

1) Enigmatic title
    2) Small availability of these books in English.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    What's the first book in the Witcher series? I'm sure I was told but I can't remember. [face_blush]

Also, the Witcher game is out tomorrow.

5. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Of the authors above I've only read Lukyanenko's Night Watch, Day Watch and Twilight Watch. Very good books. =D=

I've never even heard of Vladimir Vasilyev and Andrzej Sapkowski before. [face_blush]

Wikipedia is you're friend :)

Here's another good author that I recently discovered.

Nick Perumov

His "Keeper of the Swords" series has just been translated into swedish and I've read the first two books (Diamond Sword, Wooden Sword, and Birth of the Mage) and they are near perfect fantasy. Highly recommended if you have the opportunity to read that series.

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I got secondhanded Nightwatch today. :) Now I just have to bring myself to actually start reading it. :p

o_O[face_worried] Ana Karenjina =/= Fantasy
    [face_shame_on_you]

But most of the other stuff is good, yes. :)
    Did you have a go with any of the Gogol's (sp?) books?

7. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Haven't seen any. Did you point them out to me or something?

If so, my memory has failed again :p

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I got 'The Last Wish' for my birthday. I'm looking forward to reading it, but I'm not sure when that will be as I have a load of other books to read as well.

9. Yo_Raja

Yo_Raja Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2006
    I'm pretty sure that what he meant was that now they release mostly fantasy ;)

By the way, 19th century brought some good 'kinda-fantasy' stories by Russian writers. Pushkin's "The Queen of Spades" is the most famous, I think. I've read it and it's great. Dostoevsky wrote a couple of gothic-style short stories too.

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've finally started reading 'The Last Wish'. I've not read much but I'm liking it. :)

Should I buy the Witcher game?

11. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    The cutscenes are good, but the gameplay is weird. Moving my mouseclick... not my bag :p

12. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Sort of a big up.

Just an update really. The English translations of Krew Elfow (Blood of Elves, by Sapkowski) is out on the 18th of September, and Posledniy Dozor (Final/Last Watch, by Lukyanenko) is due out on the 2nd of October.

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I wish we didn't have to wait so long for Blood of Elves. :(

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocking.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ooh, I'd forgotten about this thread.

I have Blood of Elves! :D

16. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Me too, tis a good book. Now I want the next one, which I've forgotten the name of :p

I also got Last Watch. Very good, actually. Probably better than Twilight Watch.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I got the Night Watch trilogy for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to reading that. I have so many books to read and not enough time to read them. >_<

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Unlocked.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm reading The Night Watch at the moment, and I have a few questions. Would I be right in thinking that the film adaptation was just the first part? I can't remember much of the film, but I'm sure that some of the things in the second part didn't happen.

20. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    1st part of Night Watch book = Night Watch film
    Parts 2 and 3 of Night Watch = Day Watch film
    Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch = Not in any film

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That seems a bit crazy to me. 8-}

Oh well. I'm just waiting for The Final Watch to arrive, I'm sure it was supposed to be dispatched within 24 hours when I ordered it but now it's 7-10 days. :(

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've started The Day Watch and I've finished reading the first part. I thought it was really sad. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.