main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ~*~ Sleep Well ~*~ written for MMM

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Irish_Jedi_Jade, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    TITLE: Sleep Well
    AUTHOR: Irish_Jedi_Jade
    GENRE: Mush, sadness
    A/N: Written for Monday Mush Mania's "Loss" challenge. Everyone loses someone they love, it's a fact of life and of loving. Write a vignette exploring the impact of the loss of a loved one on a character. Hope it turned out alright...I don't usually feel depressed when I finish writing for MMM! I'm working night shift, so I'll be asleep for the rest of Monday...just finished it and as such, this is un-beta'd. All mistakes are mine!

Her skin was so soft. He ran his hand slowly along her forearm, almost expecting her to shiver and give him the half-hearted glare he loved so much. Her hair still shone, even under the harsh, unforgiving light, and it slid through his fingers like water as he ran them through. Her lashes, so beautifully long, feathered out from the eyelids covering green eyes he would never tire of looking into.

But she was cold.

That small fact made it impossible for him to hide from the truth. He sat in the hard chair next to the table, thankful he was alone...alone with his wife. How often had that happened in the last few years? Precious little. A galaxy at war, a family fracturing at the seams, a government in chaos...that had left so little time for the two of them. For Luke and Mara. Neither had ever complained about the burden placed on them: it was their responsibility, their lot, to protect and serve. But while a word of anger had never escaped either of their lips, the sadness had been there. Every time the boarded separate transports, left on different missions, slept alone on a cold bunk...it was their life, at least for now, but it was with wistful longing that they looked forward to the quiet days ahead. When the galaxy they had worked so hard to preserve would take care of itself, at least for a while. Long enough for them to be in love.

But that would never be.

Luke choked back a sob as the thought settled in his mind. A million reproaches filled his heart, a thousand angry questions, asking why he had never simply walked away, even for a day, to devote himself with just as much fervor to loving his wife. But he knew the answer. It was his duty...it was hers. The answer, as cold and unforgiving, nevertheless quieted his thoughts. This was who they were...they were guardians, to rail against that was to dishonor her. To disgrace her sacrifice.

He took her hand; rubbing his thumb over the small cuts and scratches as if to soothe them.

"You know, I used to watch your hands when you weren't looking." His voice was rough, harsh from trying not to cry. "I always thought they were so elegant...the way they moved almost magical. Even when you would do the simplest things, like typing in coordinates or tying your boots."

Taking one of his hands from hers, he scrubbed it over his eyes, trying to will away the tears.

"You are--" He stopped, and the tears came then. Great, racking sobs that shook him as he pressed her hand to his cheek. The simple complement, one he had given her all the time, now stuck in his throat, as he realized it was forever altered. He could never say it the same way again. I can't do it! Mara, I can't do it. Come back, please please, come back. Don't make me say it. His breath was ragged as he tried calm himself. The words rolled around in his mind, taunting him. It felt like he was the one raising the sword for the killing blow...to say the words felt like a betrayal. Like it was real.

But it was. Looking up at her still form on the table, he couldn't deny it. It was real. Sitting up, he looked at her face, her serene, heartbreakingly lovely face, and said the words.

"You, Mara..." he took a deep, shuddering breath, "you...were...the most beautiful woman I had ever seen."

His soul ripped in half, agony so deep he felt like death had come now to claim him...and he welcomed it. But slowly, the pain ebbed, and her face swam back into focus. The words came easier, rambling, as he tried--too late--to tell her all the things he wished he had said.

"You were my savior, love. You

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hello!!!!!

Hello!!!

Mondays rock again!!! :*

Oh this was lovely!!!!!

So lovely!

The words and the memories both.

Irish is back indeed, never feels like you were gone. :D @};-

[face_love] & huggles,

A very Moved Jade

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Ditto Jade_eyes! This was wonderful.

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Her skin was so soft. He ran his hand slowly along her forearm, almost expecting her to shiver and give him the half-hearted glare he loved so much. Her hair still shone, even under the harsh, unforgiving light, and it slid through his fingers like water as he ran them through. Her lashes, so beautifully long, feathered out from the eyelids covering green eyes he would never tire of looking into.

But she was cold.

Amazing opening. It creates the perfect tone and visual.

Luke's speech was beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes.

This is one of the best responses I've read to Mara's death.=D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely, adding so much depth to her death with these thoughts from Luke.

A great read=D==D=

6. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    :_| :_| :_|

This was so hard to read, but for you my former padawan, I could not resist. *sigh* How long before we heal? I just don't know...

Nicely written. You brought the stabbing emotion of loss right up to us and did not allow us to look away.

Well done! =D=

7. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Absolutely beautiful! I could never imagine that feeling...

=D=:_|:_|:_|

Great response!

8. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    This brought tears to my eyes. [face_love] :_| Luke's response was so emotional and heartbreaking.

Wonderful response to the challenge.

9. Overboard4aFel

Overboard4aFel Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    Awww! Poor Luke! This was beautifully and artfully done. Could really feel the emotion in the story.

:_| :_| :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.