Sleeping Cars?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by darthdickalan, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthdickalan Jedi Knight

Hi, I live in Colorado Me and my friend want to drive to Indiana and just sleep in the car instead of an expensive hotel. Or maby pitch a tent do think they would let us do that? Well tell me if you are doing that or if you think it is a good idea.
  2. Darth_Adaul Jedi Master

star 3
    A tent would be a good idea.
  3. Doright Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There is got to be some camp grounds around there. Early May doesn't look too bad but it can still get a bit cold. Average Highs around that time are in the upper 60's/lower 70's and average lows are in the middle to upper 40's. Still Record lows are in the lower 30's. Some one who lives in that area may be able to tell you better. I am just checking climate data.
  4. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    And I guess you could use a log if you needed to pinch a loaf. The only problem would be not showering for three days, and then you also have to risk storing anything you buy in your car. Getting your vandilized or stolen sucks, but adding stolen SW merchandise on top of that only makes it worse.

For a few bucks you could stay at a cheap motel, it wouldn't be the best place, but it beats a car or tent since it does have indoor plumbing. Conventions will wear you out enough as it is without having a decent place to stay and getting a good night's sleep each night is essential.

U might also want to get togethor with your local FanForce chapter or a nearby one and buy a room togethor. You can usually get the price per person down pretty low once there are 4 or 5 of you.

Also, WOTC has reserved several of the local hotels or portions of them and supposedly discount prices will be available to Celebration II attendees.
  5. Tobey-Wan FanForce CR Northwest Ohio

Chapter Rep
    star 9
    The Days Inn is about 7 blocks away (according to some locals) and is around $60 a night for a room. Might also want to consider one of those cheaper hotels.
  6. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't suggest sleeping in your car for one. If you really want to sleep in a tent, there are a few campgrounds in the Deer Creek/southern Noblesville area on the north side of Indianapolis. But I would say that you would have a 30-45 min drive minimum to get to ICC plus pay for parking.

If you can scrounge the money, get a hotel. If anything, get a cheap room at Motel 6 or Super 8. Those are all over town and usually cheap enough, like maybe $30-$50 a night. You would still have a bit of a drive, but only like 20 min as compared to 30-45 min. Plus it would be a lot safer.
  7. darthdickalan Jedi Knight

Well thanx for all the info. But two highschool teenagers (going to miss our senior prom) cant aford it to buy the 75 tickets + gas money + rooming so one of them had to go. Guesse wich one? So a tent seems like a good idea, plus I camp alot so I KNOW it cant be that bad. Has anyone ever done the drive from colorado to indiana? or anywhere around colorado to indiana and if so how long roughly did it take? Well i hope i can make it, I loved the colorado one! (sorry about the weather)
  8. whojedi Jedi Master

star 3
    Made that drive for the first Celebration and if I remember right it was about 19 to 21 hours, and I was going about 80 the whole way. Be careful in Kansas though, I got a ticket there.

Jay
  9. Lost in Coruscant Jedi Knight

star 2
    Heeeheee...I live on the east side of Kansas, the turnpike is so boring you've GOT to speed just to prevent yourself from falling asleep. :D

Be careful 20 miles west of Emporia, there's a doozy of a speed trap.
  10. snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know what you mean. I'm coming from Central PA with a couple others. The PA turnpike turns into the Ohio turnpike, so we'll be on the same road for almost 10 hours.

!snap
  11. Lost in Coruscant Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh yeah, I took that back in July...wow, that is one boring stretch of highway! But keep your eyes open for the anti-gun control road signs, they make the trip interesting.

I get to drive across Missouri, woohoo. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.