main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Sleepless Knight" Eppy III A/P vignette *SPOILER WARNING*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by nya, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    If you are avoiding Episode III spoilers, READ NO FURTHER. You've been warned.

/
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /

Story teaser: Set as a scene from the beginning of episode III, this short story was inspired by the Before the Helmet picture of the same name. Anakin has just returned to Coruscant after a long mission. He and Padme reflect on the tough decisions they have made about their future.
    Author disclaimer: All the usual disclaimers apply. Characters and story is the sole property of Lucasfilm Ltd. This scene was written referencing episode III spoilers and a little speculation on my part, so reader beware.
    Setting: The Old Republic/ Rated: PG

?Sleepless Knight?

It was night on Coruscant. The city was alive and awake, and the night air was filled with the bustling sounds of speeders and the excited voices of the Coruscant nightlife. Yet by the most dramatic contrast, the interiors of Padme?s flat were silent and peaceful. The staff had gone to bed hours ago, and Padme, exhausted from a day of endless committee meetings, insisted on going to bed much earlier than usual. Everyone was asleep. Everyone, except Anakin. He was finally home after months of fighting in the war. The war, he thought. It was tearing the galaxy apart, and it was keeping him away from Padme. Before his last mission, he was content with just being nearby. He would occasionally steal glances of her going about her duties in the Senate, and once in a while he could visit with her. It gave him a peaceful sense of security that if anything were to happen; if another attempt were made on her life, he would be close enough to protect her. But this war, this horrible war, was making it difficult for him to be on Coruscant any more than a few days at a time. And these days were always spent regrouping and preparing himself for his next mission. He never had much personal time, nor should he. He grimaced at the thought. After all, he was a Jedi, and Jedi were meant to protect and serve. The needs of the galaxy and everyone in it were always placed above the needs of the individual.

But this time was different. He had successfully rescued the life of the imprisoned Chancellor, and the Republic had earned a decisive victory in the biggest battle of the war. The Separatists were weakened, and it was believed that the war would be over soon. Because of this turn of events, Anakin was given a new assignment. The Chancellor, quite impressed by his rescue, requested that the Jedi Council give Anakin leave of his field service to be placed in charge of his personal security detail. Under normal circumstances, the request would have been denied. But with the success of the last battle, the Jedi could afford to re-assign some of their knights to less active-duty type roles.

Anakin respectfully accepted his new charge with all of the politeness and formality that he could muster. But inside he was overjoyed, though he dared not show it. It meant that he would have a permanent placement on Coruscant, and thankfully, a lot more time with Padme. She was overjoyed too. He happily remembered their meeting earlier that day. He arrived at her doorstep just as the sun was beginning to set. She was so excited to see him that she practically knocked him over when she threw her arms around him and showered him with kisses. Yes, he loved these homecomings. They would always bring about the most irrational behavior in his wife. He had to quickly peel her off of him. After all, doorways were not places to be displaying any affection that unwanted eyes might see. They must be careful.

And now, he was lying next to her, watching her sleep. He watched intently as she inhaled and exhaled, thankful for this stolen moment. His fingers played with the trinket around her neck. The Japor snippet. He smiled and thought about the day he gave it to her. Only they knew its significance. It was the only token of their marriage that she could wear in public without raising suspicions. How beautiful it looke

2. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    That was beautiful, and very well written. :D The boards are generally dead silent this time of the week, so it was especially nice to find this. Great job, and thanks for sharing it with us, nya. :)

JD.

3. nya

May 22, 2001
    You're very welcome JDH3! It was fun to write. This was my first attempt at a fan fic so I was a little nervous, lol!

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great! Picturing it was even better! Love the portrayal of Anakin and Padme! Great work!!! :D

5. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    A very well written account of how challanging it will be for Padme and Anakin to be seperated it reminds me of how Leia was seperated from her kids.
    I like how you described the kicking baby and the way Anakin tried to leave the Jedi in a less extreme way but willing to leave if necessary. You wrote Anakin and Padme well

6. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Oh nicely done! I can see something like this happening!

7. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    I enjoyed this. I have been wondering what was behind that Episode 3 picture and this scene looks real enough to be a real spolier.... if you understand me. I hope you write more stories.

8. nya

May 22, 2001
    Kynstar- I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading!

Hananiah- Yeah, I always pictured that Anakin would have wanted to leave the Jedi order peacefully, but obviously that won't happen. I figure that if I ever write an A/P AU that I would give these characters a happy ending. But then I know that the prequels are mired in tragedy and that their world will come crashing down around them, whether I want it to or not. *pouts* But a girl can only hope that there would be some glorious saving grace for them. Won't happen, though :_|

DreamOfKenobi- Thanks! I tried to write it in a way that would make sense within the context of the story in episode III. I wrote the scene, especially the dialogue to be plausible with Lucas' narrative and style. I hope it worked!

Jedi_Bant- I'm really glad you liked it! I always wondered about that picture too. This is the scene that I'm looking forward to the most, I think. Or any A/P scene that shows how much they care for each other. I really hope that Lucas can really nail these moments because it makes the tragedy of the outcome that much more poignant. As far as spoilers...the dialogue and what they are talking about is my own speculation. I put a spoiler warning in the header because the beginning of my story talks about the events at the beginning of the movie. As far as I know (and I'm spoiled rotten) there hasn't really been much information about this scene.

9. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Awww... I love fics based on that picture! :D

10. SPP

SPP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2001
    What a sweet story! Great characterization. Thanks for sharing.

11. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Beautiful vignette [face_love]

12. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    You did a great job capturing that pic, wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.