main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sleepy Hollow Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Anybody heard the stuff from this CD? I'm thinking of getting it, but I decided to ask you guys first what you thought of it. The movie was excellent BTW. :D

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I liked it,very Tim Burton

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I thought it was pretty weak. Elfman's got much better stuff, and there are also much better horror scores. It works well in the movie, but it never fails to bore me when I try to listen to the score alone.

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The Sleepy Hollow soundtrack is the only cd I've ever lost in my life.

I lost it two years ago. Have I replaced it? No. I guess that says something right there. It was okay, but nothing really stood out. The opening credits and maybe the track with the Church battle were the only ones. Maybe if it's on sale for like 6 bucks I'd pick it up again.

5. HanyBezem

HanyBezem Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    It's really good!

But just one Question?
    Who composed it?

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Danny Elfman

7. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Ugh. It was way too noisy for me. In my opinion, Elfman's last truly original score was Mission: Impossible. He's been ripping off his own material since then.

8. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    Ugh. It was way too noisy for me. In my opinion, Elfman's last truly original score was Mission: Impossible. He's been ripping off his own material since then.

Example?

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Speakig of ripping off: Faofa, that's my icon!!

10. pahket

Apr 6, 2001
    For example, listen to Men In Black compared to Mission: Impossible.

11. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    I don't understand, you think Men In Black is a rip-off of Mission: Impossible? How so?

12. pahket

Apr 6, 2001
    The way Elfman uses his synth percussion and bass in M:I and MIB to great similarity just felt cheap. Planet of the Apes, too, was just plain loud, and the main theme seemed overly simple and obvious to me.

I would, however, like to recant my stated opinion on Sleepy Hollow, though. It serves the movie very well. He builds terrific suspense, but the action cues to me were a bit too discordant. Just like when folks say Don Davis' work on The Matrix works well in the movie but not as an album. I found myself playing the SH soundtrack one day and we got to the carriage chase at the end, and I had to say "Man, I can't listen to this!" and turned it off.

I certainly don't hate his work, but I lost a little respect for him because of the glaring likenesses in these particular two soundtracks. Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, and even his score on Chicago were all simply brilliant. But he does seem overwhelmingly to be abandoning the melodic and adopting a more clamorous approach to composing.

Just my 0.02 dollars.

13. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    There was very little synth-percussion in Mission: Impossible. I think what you were hearing is electronic bass.

14. no-celebration

no-celebration Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    If someone likes huge gothic music, Sleepy Hollow is a safe bet.

15. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Speakig of ripping off: Faofa, that's my icon!!

LOL!! Actually, I change my icon every month or so. Wait! It's December 1st! Time to change!! ;)

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I heartily disagree that Planet of the Apes, or any Elfman score for that matter, is overly simplistic.

I love POTA and Sleepy Hollow because there is so much to dissect. Elfman's scores require many in-depth listens to really pick up on all the musical ideas he throws in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.