main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Slightly Off topic Question

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediKnightPasJoDacle, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    What's some other forum sites that deal with costume replication such as sci-fi(ie: star wars/x-Men)? Thanks!

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  3. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Cool beans dude, thanks!

4. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Righto, I have my own slightly off topic question as well, but I didn't want to toss up another off topic thread when we have this one right here.
    My question is about Harry Potter. Right now I'm making myself a Harry Potter school robe loosely based on the movies, I've already cut out the robe portion of the fabric. My problem is I'm not sure how to do the hood, I've used my own home-made pattern for the robe, but, like I said, I don't know what to do for a hood. Can anyone help me here?

5. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Here are some instruction from Amber's Jedi Meditation Chamber:

Hood Instructions

6. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I'm making myself a Harry Potter school robe loosely based on the movies, I've already cut out the robe portion of the fabric. My problem is I'm not sure how to do the hood, I've used my own home-made pattern for the robe, but, like I said, I don't know what to do for a hood. Can anyone help me here?

There is NO hood on the Hogwarts School Robes. It's just a semi circle piece of cloth on the back.

At MadameMalkins ML, a member posted this "tutorial" based on her doing the robe from Simplicity 5840

"The hood pattern is Ok if you want a hood- but the robes in the Movie do <NOT> have hoods- they have a collar that resembles the mock hoods used on scholar/ graduation robes. If you want a hood, you will probably want to eliminate the point on the hood- just cut it off and round off the back of the head area. If you line the hood with the same fabric as the robe, it lays in a manner similar to the scholarly collar, but still can be used as a functional hood if you want to play Deatheater.

If you want to have a collar just like in the movie, take your neck line measurement, and add in about 6-8 inches. Cut two half circles of material with the straight edge of the 1/2 circle being your neck measurment plus 6-8 inches. If the half circle looks like it is too long when held to the back of the neck, then flatten it, and make it more of a half oval shape. Collar should fall to shoulderblade level, no further. Effect is more like a half oval than a half circle.

Pin your half circles of material together and stitch along the arc of the 1/2 circle, clip, and turn right side out. Press, and top stitch the edge if you like.

Pin CB(Straight edge) of the top layer of the collar to cb seam of your robe. Pin the right side of your collar to the inside of your robe neck, so that the seams stick up.

Pin points of the collar to your finished front opening edges of your robe. Take 2-3 pleats starting about 1 1/2- 2 inches from the cf opening, to take up the extra collar material. The pleats should lay in <front> of the shoulder seam and on top of the shoulder seam, so that when the neckline folds open lapel style in a v, the pleats
    are visible where the neckline lays open Lapel style. Pleats should open to the front, with the folded in material laying back towards the shoulder/ back of the neck.)

Finish pinning top layer of the collar, sew. Press under seam allowance of the bottom layer of collar, Pin in place, enclosing the
    seam allowances with the collar itself. Take pleats in the same place whre pleats were taken on the top layer of the collar. Hand
    stitch the underseam of the collar closed- this will be hidden underneath the collar, so it doesn't need to be anything fancy, but
    by hand stitching it, you won't mess up the way the collar lays by having topstitching coming thru to the top side of the
    collar/neckline whre it lays open.

If you still want hood for your school robe, then Amber's Tutorial will be useful. ;)

Jedi_Junkie, if you didn't noticed it, there is also a thread about HP Robe on this forum.

7. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Whoa, thanks Eagle! I thought they had hoods. o_O Good thing you came along, hehe. And I didn't know there was a thread for HP.. I'll check it out. A MAJOR thanks, again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.