Slow- and Fast-Motion--their uses and disuses

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by EagleIFilms, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've seen many films that do a good job of using slow motion. But others that I see, the ones that really stick in my mind, really get in the way of the film watching experience.

Slow-Motion, in my opinion, should be used for slowing down moments so the viewer can see what is happening, when the action is fast. I hate it when they use it to just draw out a moment, usually just to spice up a dull shot.

Fast-Motion gets on my nerves even more, however. The new series 'Birds-of-Prey' constantly speeds up the motion, and all it does is make the show feel amateurish, it definitely doesn't make it look like anyone is moving faster.

What do you think? Is slow-motion a good thing or a bad thing? Where should it be used? And is there a good time for using fast-motion?

2. jedistratus Jedi Youngling

i think kurasawa is the only person to use it to its full potiental, the matrix pullet time was done in blade, but not as well and not quite the same technique
  3. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Here's an obvious answer:

"Because we can" is NEVER a good reason to use the effect. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!
  4. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I hate slow-motion when its used for humor and the characters talk.....juuuusssst.....liiikeeee.......thhhiiiissssssssss. Fast-motion is okay when its used for humor,like on the Munsters or for a montage. That's my feelings on that.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    All too often, slow and fast motion are used simply, as Adam mentioned, because they can. . . That's not good.

The last time I saw fast motion used effectively was in Chaplin, when it was obviously used for comedy effect, drawing parallels between Chaplin and the characters he portrayed on screen.

Last great example of slow motion was The Insider, which it used it minimally and only a teensy bit slower than normal for the lobby scene in the beginning for instance.

Other notables: Raging Bull uses both to great effect and of course The Matrix must be mentioned for it's pioneering effects, now sadly ran into the ground by every action movie since.
  6. flyingseal Jedi Master

star 4
    2 words

John Woo...
    Now that's a guy who knows how to use slow motion!
  7. Estranged Jedi Master

star 4
    I dont think slow motion should be used in most action scenes. Like in Spider-Man when he is dodges the razor bats in the apartment thats on fire. Now that was so long and just boring.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.