main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sluggish Vader

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NateTheGreat, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    In ROTJ, Vader looks very sluggish in his duel with Luke. This could be because he is a machine, or because of age or whatever. Could it be possible that Palpatine was somehow slowing him down? Or could it be that Vader wanted Luke to strike him down? Any other theories? Thoughts?

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I think it's a combination of the will of the Force, Anakin's age, the suit, and Luke's rage.

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Darth Vader's internal conflict is weakening his control of the Force. He is, therefore, unable to command his crippled body as he normally would.

4. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    Vader's control of the Dark Side was slipping, so he was no longer able to use the Force effectively when fighting.

5. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I personally don't think he was fighting as hard as he could have. The idea was for Luke to turn to the darkside, not to kill him. Vader wasn't supposed to win the fight, he was supposed to draw Luke to the darkside.

6. Kirr_Canos

Kirr_Canos Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    The last thing Vader wanted was to win, cause he had to defeat his own son.

All the other possibilties were fine:
    - draw Luke to the darkside, rule as father and son
    - Luke defeats Vader: He will finally rest as a Jedi turned good. I think Vader was returning to the light side for some time....

7. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Me too. Probably since the ending of TESB. Notice how after the Falcon escapes, he quietly walks away.

8. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    Part Luke's rage, part internal conflict. I don't think it has anything to do with the suit.

9. data68

data68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2003
    he had to take a crap really bad.

10. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    But wouldn't that make you go faster? 8-}

I'd say it's his internal conflict and his age and injuries starting to catch up with him.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Luke´s rage? He wasn´t in any rage until the very end of the duel.

12. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    He was getting overwhelmed by Lukes rage.

13. DarthAblaze

DarthAblaze Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2003
    Nah, I don't think it has anything to do with his age, suit, or Luke's rage, at least not directly.

More-so for his connection with Luke. No one wants to strike down their own son. He was conflicted by this, and was just confused and lost his grip of control over his emotions. So naturally, he was battling himself, and Luke's rage hacked him down as he was contemplating his position.

If Vader were focused on the match he probably would have deflected Luke's hacks and continued to parry, instead he stood there, fell back on the railing, had his hand cut off, and Luke backed down, and was fried by the Emperor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.