main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------

As we've been discussing in the Wii U thread, Iwata recently unveiled the project codename for the next Nintendo platform in development: Project NX.

"Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices, but it is not because we have lost our passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems. On the contrary, because now we have decided on how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than before.

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand new concept under the development codename 'NX'.It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year."

Additionally, in regards to the DeNA (pronounced "DNA", fyi) announcement, it was also indicated that the new online membership platform (the unified user account system expected to replace Club Nintendo) would be able to be accessible across smart devices, PCs, the existing Nintendo devices and the NX.

So, naturally we don't have a lot to go on- the popular assumption is that this is the next console (following Projects Reality, Dolphin, Revolution & Cafe) that we know has been in development (as Nintendo pretty much works on their next system the moment a new one launches), although given the timeframe of a 2016/2017 release (and upcoming slate of Wii U releases indicating strong continued support for the platform) it is also quite possible that the NX could be the next portable (following Projects Atlantis, Oxygen, Nitro(gen),Twlight, Citra & Infrared), since the 3DS is older than the Wii U, with the N3DS being analogous to the DSi in this scenario- which would still leave the N3DS at around 2 years old by time NX launches.

Alternatively, it could be something else entirely- a mixture of the two platforms (like the likely-just-fan-rumor "Nintendo Fusion" concept) or something else entirely (a "third pillar", much like how the DS was to the GCN & GBA- something that would only replace one of the hardware lines if it proved successful but could coexist or be discarded should it be rejected or recieve mild acceptance)- because, well, lets face it: this is Nintendo. You can't really predict what they're going to do most of the time.

We'll likely be sitting on a lot of speculation for awhile, but I wanted to give that discussion a home outside of the U's thread. Humorous music thread title reference will be pending the reveal of the actual system's name and nature down the road. ;)

kubricklynch likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll go for insane and unlikely - it's the new NGage like awkward cell phone/handheld hybrid. The NintenGage, if you will.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think we'll see a cell phone component- that would require either a whole new infrastructure and hardware development or tech partnership on the part of Nintendo- and I just don't see that happening. Especially not on the scale that would be needed for them to launch it outside of Japan. The Satellite NES/SNES service wouldn't really work as a model here either.

However, with the DeNA announcement, one thing I could see happening is access to the mobile apps as a separate mode on the NX- kind of like a VC dashboard designed for apps of that nature. It could potentially bring some cross-buy leverage- though the games would have to be tweaked for a GamePad or similar touch device compared to a smartphone.

At the very least, i could see a "buy this game for a Nintendo system, get a related mobile app free" or vice versa incentive feature ("Thank you for buying Super Mario Swipers Mobile App! Use this code to get a $5 eShop credit towards Mario Strikes X!") even if they don't bring the same mobile app playback functionality to the NX itself.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    If they have a program like the Digital Deluxe Promotion that just ended, also be a good way to check your points accumulated and redeem. I remember hearing how they want you to be able to view the eShop and make purchases from websites/app and then your console will start the download at home or something. Wonder if this is a feature to their plans and be implemented for the current systems.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The return of the Game Boy? Or the Virtual Boy? :p Anyway, I'm leaning towards it not being a Wii U successor quite yet, the Wii U is still relatively new and them pushing a successor system would hurt the current one even more. Maybe something based on the 3DS? It has been several years since the 3DS launched, and while they've worked on improving the 3D aspect and improving the hardware (as well as trying out ideas like the 2DS), they'll probably have to come up with an actual next generation leap eventually.

Though Nintendo's handheld market is doing pretty well, so they might not want to mess with a winning formula too much. The Vita is much more powerful hardware wise, and its not exactly doing great.

Not sure how closely related it'll be to the announced smartphone deal, the NX, whatever it is, is possibly still far off enough to have something smartphone related included. I half expect Amiibo or something similar to be incorporated as well, with how it seems to be popular right now and how most of Nintendo's systems support it (and even the original 3DS is supposed to be getting an adapter).

Hm, random idea, maybe something social related, Nintendo has been pushing the Streetpass function of the 3DS a lot, I still remember the Pokewalker from a few generations ago, perhaps something customizable and portable like the amiibos that can then be taken home and scanned into something bigger and designed to interact with a token like that compared to the current Gamepad's NFC capability. I'm just rambling at this point.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Time has an interview with Iwata with some additional details and just observations on Nintendo's general philosphy (in a nutshell: they don't just make a system and see what games can be made for it, they start with an idea for games that they can build a system around; additionally, they aren't out to squeeze every possible dollar out of their customers):

Not on the agenda: abandoning hardware. In addition to its revised mobile strategy, details on a new Nintendo platform codenamed “NX” are due next year. Iwata argues that pressure to get out of that business has always reflected a deep misunderstanding of the company’s approach to innovation. “We view it as that marriage of the software with the hardware that together creates a compelling experience,” says Reggie Fils-Aimé, Nintendo of America’s president. Iwata concurs, explaining that dropping out of hardware would cripple the company. “If we don’t take an approach that looks holistically at the form a video-game platform should take in the future,” he says, “then we’re not able to sustain Nintendo 10 years down the road.”

Nintendo’s executives are adamant that creating dedicated hardware is a core part of its creative process. That is why the announcement of new mobile titles coincided with the announcement of a new platform, the NX. “For us to create unique experiences that other companies cannot, the best possible option for us is to be able to develop hardware that can realize unique software experiences,” explains Iwata.

That division’s approach to game design can sound counterintuitive. Conventional wisdom holds that consumer-electronics manufacturers should first design a game system, then lure third-party software developers to furnish it with hits. Nintendo says it does the opposite: it experiments until it finds something its existing systems can’t do—motion sensors in the case of the Wii, or a touchscreen for the Wii U—then makes the hardware to support it. “Our job is to continue to create new platforms that enable us to create fun new ways to play,” says Miyamoto.

Mobile games will present a new set of challenges for the company. Many of that market’s biggest hits are initially free to download but generate enormous sales by constantly prompting users to pay small amounts for in-game items. Iwata says this doesn’t track with Nintendo’s identity. “Nintendo does not intend to choose payment methods that may hurt Nintendo’s brand image or our intellectual property,” he says. That doesn’t mean so-called micro-transactions are entirely out of the question, however. The company will decide which payment system to employ depending on the title, Iwata says. He adds: “It’s even more important for us to consider how we can get as many people around the world as possible to play Nintendo smart device apps, rather than to consider which payment system will earn the most money.”

That's the thing that makes it very difficult to predict right now. Nintendo's handhelds are doing good-to-great but are also the oldest- yet just had a hardware revision so it might be too early for the NX to be its replacement.

On the other hand, the timeframe of the NX 's launch, while not beyond averages, does seem a tad on the early side for it to be a Wii U replacement (but that could be just a necessity of easing fears about the direction of the company in relation to the mobile announcement).

Afterall, the Wii U may be performing below expectations but people have an exaggerated idea of by how much: one has to keep in mind that the only reason XBO has sold more systems than Wii U worldwide is because MS launched in China. Take them out of the picture to make comparisons to last gen more even and the picture is very different.

Beyond that, this gen is still very young- the PS3 had a disastrous launch thanks to Sony's poor decisions but ultimately managed to overcome the 360 and end up in 2nd place. But it took the PS3 four to five years to become a system with a viable library that could accomplish that.

The Wii U probably won't make that kind of comeback, but it's difficult to predict what it'll do over the next 2-3 years as it builds it's user base and library.

And that could very well be enhanced by the NX's announcement if it has backwards compatibility (combined with a pricecut on the U), which might encourage some buy-cheap-now-upgrade-later purchases.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure I see the point in the DeNA thing. Making games for phones sounds good in theory but I'd rather play them on my 3DS than on a device with no real controls. If they come out on both then either the phone users won't get the full experience offered by the 3DS or the 3DS versions will just be ports with 2nd screen functionality tacked on. Either way sounds bad to me.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The mobile games will be original software releases designed for just mobile platforms (ie: touch/accelerometer controls, played in shorter bursts, etc).

They won't be ports of U/3DS/VC titles- so the mobile games aren't lacking features found elsewhere nor will they have second screen versions tacked on for a console/3DS release (unless done kind of secondary dashboard functionality is implemented, as I speculated above).

kubricklynch likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Latest Iwata quote about the NX: "However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull. In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.”

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also interesting that the reports suggest that the system won't be underpowered either.

12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Some stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously pure speculation, but I have a theory on how this whole hybrid home console/handheld will work. Of course, this is absolutely circumstantial evidence and tenuous at best, but work with me.

In the photos we see a laptop and a large monitor. It's no secret that Nintendo are branching out to developing for tablets and personal computer. What if the Nintendo NX, on the one hand, was a traditional plug-in console for your television. But, if you do not want to buy the console, you simply buy the control and, I assume, have access to the same library of Nintendo games via some other compatible hardware medium (such as a beefed up PC).

That way, it effectively works as a handheld in that if you're travelling and don't want to take your console, you save your progress in any game to a cloud. Take only your controller and your laptop so you can resume where you left off at home.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The laptop doesn't indicate development for PC- before final hardware is available, most hardware dev kits run on a PC of some sort that approximates the expected capabilities of the final hardware.

But the rumors of it being able to stream to any monitor via Wii U's streaming tech would align at least partially with your theory.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm skeptical of the controller leaks mostly because the timing of the patent filed for said controller doesn't seem far enough in advance relative to the development cycle, particularly if we're meant to assume devkits already exist.

Also because real talk I hate touchscreen buttons and my opinions aside they'd basically make the controller a death sentence for third party development. Again.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    The "confidential" labels should have been the giveaway. Fool me once...

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Only because it's apparently not quite insane enough for a legit Nintendo dev kit. Back in the GCN days they apparently installed sealed lockboxes directly to desks. To get a new game put it, someone would have to literally fly down from Seattle, open the box with a key, put the game in, and then reseal the box.

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Doesn't quite match Konami's North Korea inspired regime.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, yeah, there's Nintendo Crazy and then there's the pachinko mines.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo's financial report is hitting now. It confirms the NX will be launching March 2017.

It will not be shown at E3, either- instead, Nintendo's E3 will be focusing on Zelda U: which has also been delayed into 2017 for simultaneous release on both Wii U & NX.

Life likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A March launch is... different. Did they want to get out of the way of the Playstation NEO, maybe?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they want to make sure they have enough games at launch- the 1st & 3rd party delays of key titles in the first few months of U did considerable damage to its momentum and began the whole 3rd party "waiting for a larger install base but don't want to compete with 1st party releases" chicken/egg migration.

Delaying to March gets them Zelda, the rumored Smash port (and possibly rumored Mario Maker & Splatoon ports) on top of whatever other new NX launch titles and delayed unannounced U titles they have in the pipeline.

Plus it gives them time to further build up the library for holiday 2017 and let the hardcore gamers buy it up off-holiday so they can mitigate any potential supply issues caused by having the hardcore and casuals buy it up at once on-holiday.

23. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    With the ports and such, it seems to imply that there is some form of backward compatibility… I hope… It would be good to be able to carry over content.

It does make sense on getting enough software ready and I hope that they will stagger releases somewhat to prevent periods of no software coming.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    It would be nice if they kept backwards compatibility as a feature, its been on the last two systems (and XB1 has been trumping it as a somewhat important feature too). Probably not Wii backwards compatibility, that probably isn't worth much (eShop ports would probably be a better idea). And while the WIi U was mostly a failure, it did still have good games. Probably a USB port too for that Gamecube controller adapter too (and everything else USB too). Wonder if the Gamepad will be able to link up with the NX.

Here's hoping Nintendo comes out swinging next year, since otherwise doesn't sound like much big things for 2016 (aside from Pokemon Sun/Moon late in the year). I expect they'll probably save the NX announcement (such as the official name) for one of their Directs after E3, probably by... October or November. It'd be fun if Reggie could announce it, but that's unlikely. He'll show up, but he's still only NoA's president.

A March launch is... interesting. Guess Nintendo is just giving up on the holiday season in general, what with Sony and Microsoft trying to kill each other there (and Sony is probably winning, barring a huge XB1 price cut). Speaking of that, Wii U should be pretty cheap by then. Here's hoping next generation is better for Nintendo.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is my main concern if the NX controller/portable/whatever doesn't have a suitable second screen. Not only for backwards compatibility but for future game possibilities.

The Pro Controller really needs to be kept though- not only is it still perfect for third party ports, the battery life on that sucker us insane. Damn comfy controller too.