main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. Considering the size of the Switch console and the fact it's a hybrid, I think it's a reasonable tradeoff.

Life likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’m actually considering this approach too- start grabbing the accessories I’ll need over the next couple months, then grab the actual system after the holidays when not only will I have time to play it (especially considering the ton of Wii U content I have to go through still) but the system will be easier to obtain.

But I’m sure a Black Friday deal will change all that lol.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Regarding the SD card issues; I've learned that "L.A. Noire" will require a patch upon loading the game which will require 14 GB of space. If you buy the whole game from the E-Shop Channel then the total memory will be 29 GB, which I presume includes the patch. This reaffirms what I said, that you will need an SD card, especially for third party games.

As to the Black Friday deal, there's only two items excluding the other deals.

[​IMG]

On the left is a Zelda bundle that gives you the game, a guide book and a two sided map. But the DLC is not included as part of the bundle, so you will have to get it separately. On the right is the original 2DS with "Ocarina Of Time" downloaded.

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    How could anyone possibly buy a 3/2DS when Nintendo literally reveals a new model every week?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They’re pushing the lower price point of the 2DS as a dedicated portable option. Presumably to win over some holdout families or to capitalize on kids finding renewed (or emerging) interest in Nintendo properties via the Switch hype.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. That's been Nintendo's M.O. since the days of the SNES. They kept the SNES around as a cheaper resource for young kids who couldn't afford the fifth generation consoles, the N64 in particular, all the way into 2000. The only reason the Wii U isn't following suit was due to its failure. The original 2DS retails for $79.99 and is bundled with either "New Super Mario Bros. 2" or "Mario Kart 7" and now with a Zelda game.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006

I've never played a Xeno game, but that looks ******* amazing.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999

I can't possibly justify buying a Switch for one game, even if it is absolutely brilliant.

But XC2 does look so damn good.

Assuming they are smart enough to make the Wii original available digitally for the Switch - and they absolutely ought to - grab it. It's one of the great but little known JRPGs, with a unique game world.

You notice in the video creature levels can vary drastically? So Lv 4, Lv 5, Lv 4, Lv 75! That's been the way of it from the start. You have to be very aware of your environment. Also, there are no private punch-ups, other creatures can join in at any time. It makes for a very involved game.

EDIT: Oh, bollocks:

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-2-pre-load-live-file-size/

So, all I need to actually get this is a spare £320. This is not looking good - I'm going to end up buying this, aren't I?

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Going to be getting Doom in a couple of days. I'll be getting the physical copy...looking forward to it.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, look at it like this, XC2 may be a top priority for you right now, but who knows, there may be something else down the line as well. Back when I first got to really look at an NES, I had wanted it purely for one game; SMB. This was twenty nine years ago. Well before I got my own NES and five games with it. And before my friend had gotten his NES and two third party games, both of which I would want and eventually would get. Never underestimate any gaming console.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, there is. I just watched that video properly and damn, it looks good.

There's also an array of JRPGS - I Am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Octopath Traveller and maybe, if we're lucky, Bayonetta 3.

That'd be enough to justify it. I just can't do so for 1 game, even if it does look utterly amazing.

One thing I have been impressed by is that, at a time when game data is getting more bloated, Ninty looks to be going the other way - Odyssey is but a handful of gigs, XC2 13GB - for full games of this generation, that's massively compressed.

So probably won't need that SD card immediately, which helps, as I just like the idea of buying the console and that has everything I need at that point.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The problem is that a lot of the Triple A games that are being made are trying to go for photo realistic and overtly detailed, in order to compete with each other. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing that, but it results so much memory being required to play these games and then add DLC and patches, and before you know it, you're buying additional storage. I'm not against those games at all, but you can see why Nintendo hasn't had to rely on that for their own games. Of course, their games didn't have much in the way of DLC and haven't required patches.

Though, Nintendo has a limited amount of storage space for both the Wii U and the Switch, so it is understandable that their first party games would be small compared to their competitors and third party companies.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd agree with that to a degree but when Doom racks up an 80GB patch install on PS4, some scepticism over the size is warranted. I think developers could be more data efficient but see no reason to be in a world of multi-terabyte hard drives.

Which is why I like that Nintendo are going contra-flow as much as they can.

Life likes this.
  14. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    80GB? The storage is only half the problem at that point. It takes ages to download.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, that in itself is also another issue with like the new X-Box and having only one terabyte of memory. If you download six games instead of getting the physical copy, you won't have much room left. But that's a whole different system. I think in the case of games like "Doom", they're in such a rush to get it out there, that they don't take care of all the issues before hand and thus needing a patch. Nintendo hasn't done that, but then they've also made a point of maintaining a standard of quality for all their games, even the crappier ones.

Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The Switch is my go-to console for first-party Nintendo titles and smaller downloadable games from the indie space. As cool as it is to see the console getting support from third parties with ports of games like Doom, Skyrim, and L.A. Noire, I have no desire to play those when there is a more powerful option available, even if I could take them on the go. I haven't bought the Nintendo version of a multiplatform title since the Gamecube days.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    True, but you're also someone who can afford two consoles. Some cannot. So this would be a very good deal and the portability factor cannot be ignored.

Life and Chewgumma like this.
  18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The only problem I have with ports to the Switch is that some of them seem to have been rushed out in a haphazard fashion, which leads to some pretty iffy problems. While playing Doom on the train the other day I somehow managed to fall through the floor and out of the game world. I was astonished given how polished both the PS4 and PC versions of Doom were. The Switch is a fantastic console, and I want to see more games ported to it. I do think those ports need to be handled with the same level of care as their older/more fully fledged cousins.

Otherwise people who only have a Switch and haven't played the 'superior' versions will be stuck with frustrating, game breaking bugs that spoil their experiences with what are otherwise truly fantastic games.

Another frustration I have with Doom on Switch is that the update that installs the hefty multiplayer component was basically mandatory, with you having to turn on airplane mode to prevent the automatic install of the day one patch. And even after installing the patch the game freaks out on launch when the console isn't connected to wifi, which I found a rather major annoyance when you consider the selling point of the Switch version was the ability to play Doom on the move.

Life likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Was the floor glitch repeatable? If so, it'd be interesting to see if it exists in the other versions. You may consider those polished, but if you didn't enact the exact circumstances in them, it's quite possible you simple didn't stumble upon the boundary glitch in those versions, despite it potentially being present.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't gone looking around for reviews, but what little I do know, is that it is considered a very well done port. As to the seemingly rushed nature, that's because a lot of these third party developers probably didn't think the Switch would do well and thus didn't take it seriously. We'll have to wait and see what 2018 will bring, because it might be a bit thin.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, a lot of bits to talk about tonight but I gotta get up early tomorrow so, real quick:

-LOZ: BOTW got GOTY at the Games Awards
    -Metroid got Best Handheld Game
    -Bayonetta 1 & 2 coming to Switch, and Bay 3 has been announced as a Switch exclusive too.

SensationalSean, Nobody145 and Life like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    God-dammit!

Bastards. Rotten bastards.

OK, fine, I'd already accepted it was inevitable with XC2, but add Bayonetta 3 in there, with two wonderfully barmy games in the series already - the second one was, in some ways, even more nuts than the first - and it's only a question of when I get a Switch.

Nobody145, SensationalSean and Life like this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ain't it? Still get to decide when it is.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, when is not that important unless you want to be first like the "first posters" on a message board. It was five years before I got an NES, two years for the GB, a year for the SNES, two years for the DS and four years for the Wii U. All good things come to those who wait.

Life likes this.