main
side
curve

VIDEO Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Games' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know about the game itself, but I didn't know this theme song was something I wanted in my life until now:

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically from a 3DS game but, nonetheless, the greatest thing to come out of E3 this year:

[​IMG]

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Incoming 45 min Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 6PM EST. it'll be focused on both Switch and 3DS, as well as new Odyssey details.

5. themoth

themoth Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2015
    Really excited about that. I'm hoping there's another game announcement of some kind, but I won't get my hopes up.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While we're waiting for tonight's Direct, there was an Nindies presentation a couple weeks ago too:

I found this one really interesting- it actually looks pretty clever for a shooter, especially if the level paths take advantage of the size differences.

Clearly, there is no "No Oddjob" rule to be had in this game, lol.

Life likes this.
  7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    November 17 is going to be crazy, with both Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and Skyrim out on that day. And huh, Doom and Wolfenstein are coming to Switch too.

Xenoblade looks good of course. And if I didn't already have a Switch I would so get that bundle (though it'll be hard to get of course). That Pokemon 2DS XL looks great too of course.

8. themoth

themoth Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2015
    Doom coming to Switch? :cool:

I'm obviously getting Odyssey next month, and I have my eyes on LA Noire.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nice stream of games coming out and it looks like most of the launch window titles are getting free updates with added content and gameplay enhancements, so that's pretty cool. The Arcade Archives thing is pretty sweet as well.

Looooove the "HD-2D" style for Octopath Traveler. It's very near something I'd been dreaming of for awhile.

And XB2 is looking gorgeous, as expected.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 8

Jul 19, 1999

Bugger, I'm going end up having to get the Switch to play this, aren't I?

11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Force Ghost star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It's had a rough first few months content wise (But then, so did the PS4), yet the Switch has got a pretty packed first holiday season with Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors.

And while some may sneer at the number of ports coming to the Switch, I see a dedication to the system from third party developers that Nintendo hasn't seen since the Wii days. Doom, Wolfenstein II and L.A Noire are all impressive catches for two reasons.

1) They help bolster the Switch's variety. Nintendo are great at producing family friendly games and niche titles, however they're not so great at putting out titles that are aimed directly at adult, western audiences. These titles help cover that base.
    2) We are seeing major developers/publishers assessing the Switch as a success and willing to push valuable resources towards making products for a viable platform. I'm not suggesting that we're going to see Rockstar announce Red Dead Redemption 2 on the Switch, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Fallout 4 and a port of the first Red Dead game come to the platform in 2018 if this year's slate of ports sell relatively well. This dedication to the system could also lead to some major third party exclusives further down the road.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently the NES Golf game is embedded into every Switch as a charm of sorts, so that Iwata can look over every unit. It can only be accessed by a factory default Switch that hasn't been hooked up to a network yet, setting the clock to the date of Iwata's death, and then repeating the "Direct" motion several times with the joycons.

Life likes this.
  13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Doom, Wolfenstein II, L.A Noire, Mario Odyssey....yep, i'm now nearly sold. But, I still want to know what's happening with Virtual Console or its successor.

themoth likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Don't know, but Nintendo will shut down the Wii Shop Channel in 2019, which will end the ability to obtain games there.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    So, about that Switch Holiday Bundle...

[​IMG]

It'll be available at Amazon, Best Buy and Gamestop.

Life likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm... tempting but I'd want a physical version of Mario (and I still prefer the grey puppy dog joycons :))

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm also someone that would prefer a physical copy of Mario.

The Switch just doesn't have enough internal storage for me to feel confident in buying too many major titles digitally. The fact that the system is shaping up to have a killer library of downloadable indie games has already got me considering buying a micro SD card.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You would need one anyway. As I understand it, some third party games will require it. "NBA2K18" apparently requires at least 5GB free to save your game stats and a digital download over the physical copy would pretty much eat up all of the system's memory.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The GCN Controller extends its reign as the king of controllers to a fourth console generation.

The latest Switch update silently added support for the Wii U GCN Adaptor, enabling GCN Controller usage across all games (it can basically replace the Pro Controller).

This, of course, suggests either Smash or GCN VC is imminent (or both), which is awesome.

Reynar_Tedros and Life like this.
  21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Nintendo seems to be taking an interesting approach to marketing this Christmas.

This seems to go hand in hand with the recent report that Nintendo is actively pushing developers to make "mature" titles for the Switch. They really want to be seen as more than just family friendly.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It fits the Switch debut trailer's style/focus. It also reminds me of the GCN-era commercials as well, just less abstract.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 8

Jul 19, 1999
    So went looking for a Mario Switch bundle and found one on Amazon but then it said: "Mario Odyssey code"

Download code? Well, if the Switch's internal memory wasn't 32GB, some of which the system will take up, then I'm a bit wary now of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 bundle.

Although it looks like Odyssey is coming in at a surprisingly compact 5.7GB, so if XC2 follows in the same vein maybe it'll be viable.

I don't want to be tempted by a Switch bundle only to find I have to acquire a big SD card because Ninty couldn't be bothered on the memory capacity.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One assumes you'd want to upgrade to a larger card anyways, but also that Nintendo wouldn't sell a bundle lacking sufficient storage for the pack-in game.

Life likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The need for an SD card right now is an issue, but I wager that unless you're planning to buy a good number of games out of the gate, you can wait until you need it. You can buy a 64 GB SD card for fifty bucks at Best Buy or 128 GB SD card for ninety dollars, also at Best Buy. I think you can get away with the 32 GB SMO and XC2. But if you go for something like "Doom" or "NBA2K18", then you better get the SD card.

This is why I'm waiting on getting the Switch until next year. I'll buy what I need over time, rather than all at once.