main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Small children + ROTS = Trouble?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Hoby-Wan_Kenobi, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoby-Wan_Kenobi

Hoby-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Howdy folks...

Hans and I went back to Century Rio today for our 2nd viewing of ROTS at 7pm. We were totally stoked and ready to pick up on all the things we might have missed the first viewing when, of course, a woman and her two kids (ages four and ten) proceeded to make a HUGE racket through the whole first 45 minutes of the movie.

The woman couldn't control her kids and every two seconds they would burst out in excitement. It's awesome that the kids were geeked for Star Wars but really, the show was full of adults who wanted to listen to the movie and they would not be quiet. The four year old was standing up and holding the back of the chair of the person in front of him, shaking it and blabbering in the peoples' ears.

The two people in front of them kept asking them to stop and be quiet, but the lady either wouldn't or couldn't do anything about it. The longer the movie went on, the more aggravated we became so we decided we would just refund our tickets and go see it another time.

In the scheme of things, I guess it's not really THAT big of a deal. But lots of people were complaining and were I the mom, I think I would have been embarassed and probably taken my kids during the day or something instead.

I guess the reason I'm posting is a) I'm wondering if we were overreacting (it was a busy, stressful Sunday so that could have bled into it) and b) what else can you do in this sort of situation? We didn't want to be rude to the mom or anything, so we left...but was there another way?

Maybe you parents out there can provide another perspective. Would you take your four year old to see ROTS? And what would YOU do if your child were causing such a disruption?

I'm just curious :) Hope I haven't offended anyone who DOES have kids...I'm sure a lot of kids could probably watch the movie quietly with no problem but this one pair in particular was just ridiculous.

Anyway, time to end the rant. Thanks!

2. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    haven't experienced that in ROTS yet but in plenty of other films... so I understand what you are talking about.

3. Arian

Arian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    When I was about 3 or 4, my family all went to see Indiana Jones, and it completely freaked me out. I ended up spending most of the movie in the lobby with my mom. That's the fun of having children, I guess.
    -Arian

4. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I have a 5 year old - and in fact went to see "Madagascar" with him today. Had a similar experience on Friday - the kid was too young and ROTS is not the kind of movie for a very young child. He was running through the aisles out of boredom, but his dad did little to stop him. :mad:

It is the parent's responsibility to control their kids..and if they can't, then leave so as not to ruin the experience for the rest of the audience. If you're willing to take them to a movie, be willing to take them out of the movie if they act up or until they can get control of themselves. This goes for restaurants as well...I really don't tolerate my child running wild while others are trying to enjoy their meal. But we've taught him from an early age that there are certain behaviors that are not acceptable in public - and we reinforce that idea by taking him outside if he doesn't abide by those rules. Unfortunately, there are many parents who turn a blind eye instead of taking the opportunity to teach their kids something about respect and manners. Sorry - I'm old school, I guess.. :)

5. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    i wish you were the mom when i saw the matrix - 2year old kid there. great movie for a two year old...

6. black_8ight

black_8ight Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2004
    I went to ROTS with Bob and his two young kids and they sat quiet and well behaved though the whole thing. I guess it's the way people raise their kids. I think it's great for kids to go crazy and have a good time but not in a movie theater and at that point the woman should have dealt with it. It pisses me off when I'm at work and there are kids running in the store knocking things down, opening candy and the parent will just stand there looking at them.

7. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Wook, I agree with your method... I never understand why people insist on taking young kids to movies. Do the parents HAVE to see the movie THAT BAD?
    I pretty much am keeping mine out of theaters until I have carefully tested them in kid-only movies... and I'll be prepared to leave at the first sign of trouble!

8. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Thanks, Peter. We've tried to make sure we've taught the boys exactly that - there are times and places for that behavior, but inside a movie theater is not one.

Jonathan and Matthew (our 5 & 2 year old boys) are pretty good at going to see a movie in the theater. They know if they act up, they won't be sitting there for long.

It's just simple, decent respect you have to teach your kids. The fact that many parents nowadays don't teach that is pretty disturbing.

9. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    My two kids (Matthew 7, Alexandra 3) are usually only quiet when we go to the movies. We tested them out at the dollar theater a few times to make sure they would be good, and they know that if they act up they will be going with me out of the theater. Thankfully they behave themselves at the movies, and at restaurants. I wish they could just behave themselves at home.

10. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    I am glad to know that I can now go to the movies with almost any family in Mos Alba.

11. Hoby-Wan_Kenobi

Hoby-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Glad to hear we weren't just overreacting then. :) And it's incredibly encouraging to hear how you guys have taught your children. I just wish more parents followed your example!

12. black_8ight

black_8ight Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2004
    All the kids in Mos Alba are more well behaved in public than I am :p

13. Ulic-Qel-Droma75

Ulic-Qel-Droma75 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2005
    We took our 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter to see the movie the first weekend it was released. The theater was full of families with children approximately the same age, some well behaved, and some not.

Wook is right when she says that it's the parents responsibility to remove the child from the theater if the behavior becomes disruptive to other patrons.

My 5 year old daughter goes to movies all the time and we've never had a problem with her being quiet or wanting to run around. My 3 year old son is good depending on the movie. He was squirming a little through ROTS, especially during the parts with a lot of dialogue, but overall, he wasn't disruptive.

In addition, ROTS is marketed a GREAT DEAL towards children, small children included. They see merchandise at every store, and Vader ice cream from the ice cream truck, etc. It's difficult to turn around and tell them they cannot see the movie.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.