main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Small giant explosions & ghost commandos

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Clone-Of-Kenobi, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clone-Of-Kenobi

Clone-Of-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2005
    What I wonder about when I see the battle of endor, is that when they blow up the shield generator it looks like the explosion is big enough to wipe out half the forrest, but han and Leia etc. are just hidding behind a tree. I mean what is that!!!

And how about those Ghost commando soldiers Han, Leia and Luke bring with them? In the beginning, before they meet the imperials, it seems like there is a small group of about 20 soldiers, but when Han. Luke, and chewie walk into the ewok net-trap, they have vanished, were are the soldiers now? Then our heroes join the tribe of ewoks and the soldiers are still missing, but when they attack the imperial bunker there are suddenly about 5 or 6 soldiers helping our heroes, but when the Imperial division is attacked by the ewoks I can't seem to find the soldiers.

Have I gone blind or does anyone else wonder about this to?

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I believe the back entrance to the bunker is pretty far away from the actual shield generator.

And those commandos disappear when Han sends them away to "meet at 0800 at the bunker", before the heroes go searching for Leia
    so of course they're back at the bunker as they were told
    they're off-camera for most of the battle because they're not important

3. Clone-Of-Kenobi

Clone-Of-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2005
    "I believe the back entrance to the bunker is pretty far away from the actual shield generator."

That's some trule wonderous explosives then, How can the explosion go off far away from where Han places the detonations?

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Simple, the explosion caused the power generator to explode, which would probably result in a nice explosion.

5. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    About the shield generator explosion, all I know is Han does one of the goofiest runs in history there. :p

6. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Everytime I see that part where he's running towards the camera I think of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, when he's running from the natives. The only think missing is the Fedora, and lots of dust behind him!

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Han was protected by that huge pane of glass behind him.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    You're right, sith_rising. It does look like that. All hail Harrison Ford, the "King of the Goofy Run". :p In Jedi, though, Ford seems particularly out of shape during that little sprint.

Something goofy about his exit-stage-right thing he does at the end of the scene. too.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "That's some trule wonderous explosives then, How can the explosion go off far away from where Han places the detonations?"

I mean that only the entrance is far away. Between the room where they plant the charges and the entrance might be a nice long set of hallways. You just don't see them going all the way, just as you don't see Han climbing out of the AT-ST to sneak up on the reinforcements.
    It's not just a doorway. It wouldn't be very secret if it's just around the corner of the real thing.

10. Newbie_wan_Kenobi

Newbie_wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    "What happens when you detonate a spherical metal honeycomb over five hundred miles wide just above the atmosphere of a habitable world? Regardless of specifics, the world won't remain habitable for long."

Endor Holocaust!

11. Darth_Exodus

Darth_Exodus Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2001
    Something goofy about his exit-stage-right thing he does at the end of the scene. too.

That always used to get to me, too. Why pause for an extra second so we can see him move? It was only after many years that I realized the next action we see, Akbar moving in his chair, is sort of a continuation on Han's move. My guess is Marquand didn't know how best to get from one scene to the next without it feeling jumpy, so he cut on action. Still kind of odd, though.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The "back door", acording to the map of Endor's surface in "Inside the Worlds of the SW Trilogy", is about 5 miles away from the actual shield projector (and the underground complex itself is 43 miles in diameter).

>>In the beginning, before they meet the imperials, it seems like there is a small group of about 20 soldiers, but when Han. Luke, and chewie walk into the ewok net-trap, they have vanished, were are the soldiers now?<<

"take the squads ahead- we'll meet at the shield generator at 0800"

So, after the squad is sent ahead, Leia's rescue party meets the ewoks, and after the Ewok situation is resolved, they meet up with the troopers in time for the bunker attack.

>>but when the Imperial division is attacked by the ewoks I can't seem to find the soldiers.<<

Though they don't get the focus, you can see them in action briefly- particularly one that ducks behind some small piece of equipment as several shots hit it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.