main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Smallville reaching new heights

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Duguay, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    There can never be enough said about the last hour of Smallville I just experienced. Christopher Reeves is surrounded by the familiar; the world of Superman, the music of the movie he starred in. That was the most extraordinary surprise; they used music from the films! Specifically, the theme for the Fortress of Solitude (which is exactly the same as the theme for Krypton, except the ninth note is lowered a half step). I thought it would stop there, but they actually used the Superman theme! Just incredible.

2. Jinnetics

Jinnetics Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 1999
    That was an incredible hour of genre television. Their use of the original music cues sent a tingle up my spine! Not to mention the potential twist in Clark's backstory that was heavily hinted at....

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    :_| My condolences to IA, whom I caused to miss the last half of the episode. Apparently I need to be drawn and quartered for this. :( **sniff** I'll just go over here now...

4. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Ewwwww, what did you do ?

Did anybody record this ?

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I dropped by after karate to give him back his camera. :(

6. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    lol...Yeah, we ended up talking until Rob called in the bounty hunters. If anyone got this episode taped I'd like to borrow it.

7. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I would also like to borrow it my little brother Aaron-Michael is in the hospital and had to miss it.

8. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Sorry, I didn't tape it. :( But it was wonderful. Hearing the Superman music reminded me of our game of Guess the Score at CA Adventure on Sunday. :)

I loved seeing Christopher Reeve (I just think he is such an amazing person.) and the fact that Clark now knows something about his origins bodes well for future plot developement. Yay!

9. Diesel_Dave

Diesel_Dave Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I liked it too! :D

I flipped when I heard the theme the our very own John Williams wrote. It was great!

I however didn't care for the ending. particularly the message in the ship. Why would parents who cared enough to save their only child want him to do what was said in the messgage? (note: spoiler free ranting ;) )

10. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I agree. I have not seen smallville since the first season. I only watched it because my favorite Superman, Chris Reeves, was on the show. Just like all of you, you can imagine my shock and surprise when I heard the Superman music! I am going to watch it again.

11. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I think the message that Clark read in the ship was a nod to the original concept of Superman as a alien with super powers from another planet who conquers Earth and rules it like a tyrant (I can't remember where I heard it though). I think it also helps to keep Clark from wanting to distancing himself from Martha and Jonathan, by making his biological parents seem to have a questionable motive (I think it will turn out that maybe he did read the message wrong, or the message is out of context in some way that robs it of a more benevolent meaning).

12. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    (I think it will turn out that maybe he did read the message wrong, or the message is out of context in some way that robs it of a more benevolent meaning)

Yeah, it did seem like he jumped to conclusions awfully quickly. It seemed to me that his was not the only meaning to be taken from that message.

13. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Well I'm sorry I missed it. I just don't watch the show because I can't stand teen angst ridden stuff. And the show at least "apears" that way. I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong on that. I'm also more of a Marvel Comics guy. Anyway, sounds like it was cool.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i normally dont watch the show, but i watched it last night, because of the hype (im not even that much of a superman fan) it was neat to have the movie music in there... what bugged me was when Clark was reading the message on the screen at the plane-arium, the symbols kept scrolling.. you'd think kryptonites would learn that keeping the symbols stationary would make it easier to read. whitney thought some of the dialogue of lana and chloe seemed lame.

still, i liked it... and i might even watch again! (and it's after buffy, too!)

15. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok next question did anyone tape it?

16. Mara_Jade_AZ

Mara_Jade_AZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    The show gets repeated on Sunday at 4:00pm.

MJA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.