main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Smartest tactician from ANH to NJO?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by chissdude10, Dec 31, 2001.

?

Smartest tactician from ANH to NJO?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Thrawn

64.6%
  2. Pellaeon

2.1%
  3. Dodonna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bel Iblis

5.2%
  5. Ackbar

12.5%
  6. Dryson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Piett

1.0%
  8. Dalla

2.1%
  9. other

12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Thrawn's not smart. He's idiotically omniscient. There are thousands of different forms of human art. Studying a sample of it WOULD NOT give someone a perfect psychological profile of the entire human race. Nobody else understood him. He'd just make random jumps that turned out to be correct, and even Pellaeon didn't understand but just followed orders. It was ridiculously stupid.

2. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Well, even if GAT wasn't as smart as we think he is, he sure seemed like it. And remember that he did almost bring down the New Republic at a time when the Empire was in severe decline.

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    bel Iblis - could go toe to toe with Thrawn any day.

4. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    I have to say Grand Admiral Thrawn. In My Opinion, he was the coolest villian in the EU. When I read the Thrawn Trilogy, I was impressed and frightened of him at the same time. I mean, the guy can look at artwork that a person choses and be able to tell how that person will react from that? That's just brilliant. No one else could come close to second guessing him and the only reason he died was because his bodyguard turned on him.

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Lord Bane, Yes Iblis could take Thrawn, yet Thrawns forces were outnumbered most of the time...

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Warlord Ken: My recollection of the Jedi Academy Trilogy is hazy at best but re: Daala's Maw battle......wouldn't any tactician worth their salt know that when faced with an unstoppable adversary, the only option is a swift retreat? ?[face_plain]

7. Warlord_Ken

Dec 2, 2000
    I assume you're referring to the one with the New Republic forces.

Admiral Daala couldn't and shouldn't have retreated until she finished downloading all of the Installation's research. Otherwise it would have fallen into NR hands. I'm not sure how readily the NR would have used it, but the thing is the Imperials wouldn't have access to it anymore.

8. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    I still belive ramming a star destroyer into the former imperial government world is stupid, just like the lady who planned it.

9. Warlord_Ken

Dec 2, 2000
    The main problem was that Coruscant was too heavily defended.

The main problem with Admiral Daala in general is that she's too caught up in her emotions. The plan to ram Coruscant came from heat of anger. Notice how she learns from her mistakes in Darksaber.

Geez, I must be the only person out there who'd defend Daala... :D

10. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    The one and only, Ken! ;)

11. Warlord_Ken

Dec 2, 2000
    Actually I remember someone else that had defended Daala...can't remember his name though. Ghengis might have, in the past.

<Shrugs> I admit that Grand Admiral Thrawn was probably the best strategist, but he failed to use adequate insight in grand strategy, which is, among other things, the fusion of military and politics. Hence, his death at the Battle of Bilbringi.

12. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Warlord_Ken, Yeah she did kinda mature in Darksaber.

13. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I defend Daala

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Thrawn easily.

15. moff_Sammael

moff_Sammael Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    I voted for Pellaeon... just for variation...

16. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    No question about it. Thrawn!

17. Playa_numero_1

Playa_numero_1 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Thrawn was smart and everything, but he wasn't very brave. He hid from the New Republic and the Empire until the Empire was desperate enough to accept him as their leader. My vote is for Grand Admiral Zaarin. He was smart enough to be a Grand Admiral and help design a few of his won weapons. Plus he had the courage to attempta coup against Emperor Palpatine, and he was nearly successful and would have been if it wasn't for the combination of Lord Vader and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

18. moff_Sammael

moff_Sammael Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Thrawn was smart and everything, but he wasn't very brave.

For the Chiss, heroism is for fools.

19. _Zap_

_Zap_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    thrawn

20. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Back from the dead I have come...

To address some of these canidates...

Thrawn:Was able to predict a oponents move with little sacrifice, Could also remain calm in battle even under the most tense situations. Devised brillient tactics with outdated ships, like Vics and Lancers. Would not get "greedy" in a battle, recognized when it was time to leave and rethink the plan. Knew how to use smugglers to get his way.

WEAKNESS:Lacked a backup plan at times, also used people unethically.

Pellaeon:Sometimes called Thrawns protege. Understood most basic manuevers and had a keen eye for going head to head and spotting other Corillians(Like Iblis Yes) Recognized limitations and could make political dicisions.

WEAKNESS:Leadership role, Pellaeon was not a born leader, as shown at the retreat of Annaji.

Dalla:A almost mad Admiral who would go to extrems to accomplish her goal. Was vrillient in devising tactics but could never show she actually could use the,

WEAKNESSES:Very apparent, driven by to much rage to achieve a commen goal. Would simply kill to get her way. Lack of tactics and abstract thinking shown on her part.

Bel Iblis:Long time militry man who understood a veriety of tactics partaining to ships of clone war vintage and of new. Semi-stubbern, liked to do things his own way. Had a knack at facing Thrawn that he is yet to show on other commanders. Political hero with influencial words.

WEAKNESS:Ego, this guy doesn't know the meaning of cooroperate. Also has shown advanced aging.

21. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001

Jan Dodonna
    A brillient tactician and starfighter engineer who pioneered the military operation of the early Rebellion. A leader, he could show much compasion or terribly little to accomplish his goal.

WEAKNESSES:Lack of developed tactics for post-Empire era.

Admiral Ackbar
    A Admiral who is needless to say a brillient tactical engineer in modern space combat techniques. He could go head to head and not even blink at these other canidates.

WEAKNESSES:Lack of political influence, understanding, control.

Piett
    This Admiral was said to be Vader's personal Admiral, commanding from the bridge of the hated Exectuer. He never showed brillient tactics in battle, but was said to have been a rival to the Grand Admirals.

WEAKNESSES:eek:verall fear of Vader, couldn't get out of his shadow.

other

22. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    What about HAN SOLO?

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Bel Iblis is simply put, da man! :D

24. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Ive only seen him take on Thrawn with success.

25. SilverDog

SilverDog Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2002
    god you make this so hard.. all of them.. or atleast most of them where genius'. I am going to say Thrawn because he was amazing and i loved reading about him but Jan Dodonna was great! as is Ackbar and many more... arg i hate making choices like this ;)

-silverdog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.