main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN SMT Biggest Loser/Take it Off Challenge

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    So, we've all decided that this year we're going to get in shape, drop the extra weight, lose the "happy fat", whatever the case may be.

I think we discussed this New Year's Eve, and came up with the Percentage Lost calculation as our measurement. I know some of us are doing Weight Watchers, some of us are doing the Biggest Loser challenges, and some of us are winging it. We can build on these, as well as incorporate what we're already doing into our individual challenges. We could do it over 12 weeks, so the week of April 11th would be end of round one (for those of us who may need to lose more, we can go onto round two for another 12 weeks, and so forth and so on).

I thought we could toss around any final ideas, etc. and come up with something to start as week one next week. We'd need to decide on a weigh-in day, that we would come here and report our percentage. We can also discuss special challenges, recipes, exercises, and ideas for doing things together that involve being active, and eating healthy. Don't forget to share special milestones that you hit, or things that you're struggling with. Changing your lifestyle is easier when you have others to help motivate and share.

Here's some sites that help you track things like food, activities, motivators, etc.

http://www.weightlosswars.com

http://www.Livestrong.com

http://weight-loss.fitness.com

http://www.ediets.com

http://www.weightwatchers.com

Percentage Lost

Overall percentage is calculated pretty easily.

Total starting weight - Total End Weight = Total Lost

Total lost / Total Starting Weight = amount lost x 100 to get the percentage

Excel spreadsheets are our friends for this one

Some other ideas:

Five a day challenge - where people get bonus points for eating a minimum of five fruits or veggies a day.
    Water challenge - where they have to drink X amount of water a day.
    Walking challenge - where people have to contribute x amount of miles a week.
    Cardio challenge - where people have to contribute x amount of cardio (can include walking) x times a week.

As we figure this out, we can have individual threads for recipes, weigh-ins, etc.

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    These are great ideas! I'm in. :D My biggest problem is consistency. I'll start a routine or schedule and keep it up for a week or two, then skip a day and another day, which turns into a week then a month...

I like the idea of having scheduled weigh-in days, etc. just for the accountability.

Another idea, and something that Tim and I have talked about joining, is the Pound for Pound challenge. We can create a team like we did with Race for the Cure if anyone is interested. :)

3. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, hopefully we can help keep you motivated for the consistency. Checking in here every day will help, I'll bet. It actually works for me to talk about it with people to keep me going. I suffer the consistency thing as well.

Nicki, I don't know what your weigh-in day is on WW, but mine is Wednesday (although I try to weigh at least every other day to keep myself honest from day to day...it just works better). I can change mine to whatever the group decides or work it in somehow. Wednesday is good because you have time to recover from the weekend, and reap the benefits of having more time to exercise over the weekend, as well.

When I was weighing in on Mondays, if I'd screwed up over the weekend, it usually showed and I got discouraged. With Wednesday, if that happens I have a couple of days to get back on track.

Also, I think I'll start a "what I ate today" thread. I may be the only one posting in it, but it'll keep me honest, even though I'm having to "journal" with WW.

I'm up for the pound for pound challenge, or whatever!

So for my start this week, I tried to be really good, even when we ate out (logging everything I ate, no alcohol, no fried foods, and working out at least three times) and I've lost 1.4% of my starting weight, or 5 lbs.!!! :D If I had done that before I turned 35, I'd have dropped more, but the over 40 metabolism is a beyotch. :/

4. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Mine is Tuesday.

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I can change mine to Tuesday, I think it used to be. The day that I used to use when I lost a lot was Friday. I don't know why I changed at first, but for some reason I went to mid-week.

6. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I found that I do better weighing in on Tuesday or Wednesday. It gives me time to recover if I slip on the weekends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.