main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Smudge/whatever on the Emperors face

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AVECEASAR, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVECEASAR

AVECEASAR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    OK, I've heard just about enough of this. Could anyone please show me the thing under the Emperors hood in ROTJ? I simply don't know what are you talking about, because I don't see anything in there. Maybe it's just me, but please show me and tell me why it pisses you off so much.

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    The onyl people who see it are the ones who have their contrast set too high on their televisions. In 20 years I have never once seen the "slugs" on my VHS copies, and when i finally did see them in a still picture on this forum the picture was much brighter than any other picture I'd seen from the Emperor scenes I'd seen int he theater or my TV.

Basically, fix your black levels with a THX optimizer (found on most THX certified DVDs) and you guys will cease to see the "Emperor Slugs"

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    You can see them on the old CBS/Fox VHS tapes. Their on his hood, not his face. They move across his hood.

4. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    There should be some sort of FAQ thread for the questions like this one that seem to be asked every few weeks or so.

5. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Or a Search function of some kind?

Oh...wait...

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I'll include this on my thread of redundant posts.

7. point5pastlightspeed

point5pastlightspeed Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    Just ignore my previous post. I didn't realise at the time that there actually is a FAQ thread here.

8. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    "The onyl people who see it are the ones who have their contrast set too high on their televisions"

ehem...first off, the only way to see the slugs would be if your contrast is set too low, not too high. setting your contrast too high would mean that the differences in brightness to darkness would increase, so dark areas get darker and bright areas get brighter. if dark areas get darker, then the slugs would be conveniently obscured. If your contrast is set too low, making the ratio between bright and dark lower, then the slugs would become visible.

the reason people complain about the slugs is not because of contrast settings, but because ILM messed up. they are visible even IF YOU SET YOUR CONTRAST ACCORDING TO THE COLOR BARS (the way you are supossed to set your brightness, contrast, color, and tint). in fact, the Emperor's "slugs" were visible in the theatrical presentation as well, but they were less visible because of the latitude of film is more forgiving than ther latitude of video. they are there and they should be removed...

maybe people should start using the THX optimizer that comes with the discs? I would bet that most people have the sharpness of theit tv set way too high, as well as their contrast (which usually tends ot be the factory setting in a lot of tvs...)

9. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    ^^ Wow. That's from a totaly diffrent thread.

And no. The problem is that the added "black" is much, much darker than the natural "black" of the robe. If you turn the contrast up, this is much more obvious. Thurn it down, and things blend better. Thank you for playing Vision 101!

10. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    hmmm...are you sure about this?

11. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    Sure about what?
    That the comment is from a diffrent thread? Yeah. Same topic, diffrent thread.

The contrast thing? Yes. The contrast setting is how much the TV (or monitor) emphasizes the difference between colors, or, the contrast.

12. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Can someone take a blasted picture of it? I've never noticed them.

13. Stale_Elvis

Stale_Elvis Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2002
    here you go ...the visible dark blobs on his hood next to his right eye...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.