main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

smuggler outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Robal_Krahl, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    okay, so we know the typical smuggler outfit; the vest, the pants, the shirt, and the holster (containing a blaster, of course)

But I have a few questions:

What type of pants should be used for a male smuggler? Female? I mean, there are jeans, dockers, khaki, etc pants out there, but I still do not know the type of material, say, Han Solo's pants were made of. I am currently considering the warm-up pants (the kind that athletes wear during excersize).

The shirt itself is also something that I wonder about; should a regular button-down shirt be used? Most of the smuggler outfit I am creating will be based on Han Solo's own outfit (with a few modifications, of course; can't very well have a character-clone of Solo :p )

And the boots. Tricky, here... I was considering using my regular steel-toe boots; nothing special about them, really. Shoe laces, and the boot comes to about 4 1/2 inches above the top of my foot, and I think it would be fine. Any suggestions are more than welcome, though.

I would appreciate tips on male and female smuggler outfits. Thank you, in advance :)

2. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Think "rugged necessity".

They would need pockets, but not too many. Don't wanna look sloppy. Then their is their function - what did they do before they got into smuggling? Pilot? Farmer? Gambler?. They would carry an influence over into smuggling. Alot of the video game smugglers/bounty hunters are in some version of X-wing gear. You need a back story on your character to GIVE him/her character.

Stores to try:
    Hunting stores
    Gemplers (online)
    Dollar Store (got some good ideas there)
    Ebay

I love the character Aurra Sing. She is a good example of what I am talking about. There is a simple vest, an holsters for her guns, but under that is a plain body suit. Don't over accessorize your character - sometimes less is more. Lucas worked on a shoestring budget, and did a pretty good job.

Hope that helps-
    ~DG~

3. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    There is almost no limits when doing a smuggler costume. but you should try to stick to what limits there are in the movies. One thing pretty established was there were few button down shirts seen, Han in ANH had a long sleeve shirt that almost lookled like a T-Shirt. It was undersized, and the sleeves were definately small.

In ESB and Jedi, the shirt was more stylish, and double breasted, but still looked to be a pull over.
    FOr my custom Smuggler Costume, I went with a long sleeve T-Shirt, the kind with 3 buttons at the colar.

http://echobaserebels.com/photos/displayimage.php?pid=132&fullsize=1

I went with a Vest, instead of a Jacket (again using han as an example) But I used a Vest from an Army Navy Store. This is a OD Ranger Vest. They come in Black and Tan also. it has a more padded look then Han's Vest, or even the vests worn by the Rebel Fleet Troopers. Another Idea I wanted to pursue, but coun't find an affordible one was The Old Viet Nam Flak Vests. a Long while ago, I saw Army Navy Stores selling just the shell, not the actual Flak Vests.

An Upgrade I'm working on for the vest is I got a Snow Trooper Shoulder bell that had a dent in it fromt he molding. I'm going to add it to the Vest as a shoulder pad, giving it more of a Mad Max type look. I will also add a COmm Padd to the front left Breast.

Pants, Han uses Almost a Dockers type pant, withth e Bloodstripes added to them. This would work for you as well, instead of the blood stripe, you might think of somethign like a solid stripe, And match it to the color of your pants, Brown with Blue, Blue with Red, or something.

I went with Military Cargo pants. simple, and looks like something a smuggler might use. If I could sew, what I might do is move the cargo pockets from the sides of the thighs to the front of the thighs. Luke's ESB Uniform, as well as all the pilot Jumpsuits all had the pockets there.

For boots, it depends on what you want, In all my costumes, I usually wear my Army Issue Combat boots. Not canon by a long shot, but not terrible.
    In that picture, I am wearing a pair of Motocross boots. I got them for the Classic Battlestar Galactica costume I will eventually make. They are different, and has that rugged look a Smuggler would get.

In that Photo, I have my holster as a cross draw one. something to set me aside from Every other SW costumer. but I have also recently, ordered a pair of Luke ESB holsters, one for each hip. Giving more of a cowbot look.

Another thing would be not to limit yourself in blaster selection. Not everyone in SW uses the DL-44. Even your choice of Blaster can set yourself apart from everyone else.

Hope this helps, :)

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    If you want an ultra girly smuggler, there's always what I did...
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/starwars/eff/websize/eff27.jpg]
    ... Felisity Canis - She smuggles exotic animals from all over the galaxy.

You could use those small shorts here too. It's inspired from the Rebel Fleet Troopers, I need a holster for it though.

5. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Han in ANH had a long sleeve shirt that almost lookled like a T-Shirt. It was undersized, and the sleeves were definately small

whoa... this actually narrows my search by a large margin. I was in Target the other day, and saw these types of shirts. After Christmas, I'll be heading down there once more (you shoulda seen it... the place was a zoo!)

what I might do is move the cargo pockets from the sides of the thighs to the front of the thighs. Luke's ESB Uniform, as well as all the pilot Jumpsuits all had the pockets there.

thats something i never thought of! And I even own a pair of cargo pants that would be perfect if I move the pockets!

For boots, it depends on what you want, In all my costumes, I usually wear my Army Issue Combat boots. Not canon by a long shot, but not terrible.
    In that picture, I am wearing a pair of Motocross boots. I got them for the Classic Battlestar Galactica costume I will eventually make. They are different, and has that rugged look a Smuggler would get.

this is the boot that i am planning to use; I don't think it's exactly cannon myself, but I'm hoping it would work:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/TheCosmicCastaway/boot.jpg]

In that Photo, I have my holster as a cross draw one. something to set me aside from Every other SW costumer. but I have also recently, ordered a pair of Luke ESB holsters, one for each hip. Giving more of a cowbot look.

That's an awesome idea! One question; did you get that idea from the movie Tombstone? I know Doc Holliday had a cross draw in that movie, and your mention of it reminded me.

Another thing would be not to limit yourself in blaster selection. Not everyone in SW uses the DL-44. Even your choice of Blaster can set yourself apart from everyone else.

Oh, I hear ya on that one. My own fanfilm (for which I am creating these costumes) is going to shy away from the ordinary; DL-44s are very common, and I like to keep my things unique. So, I have chosen this plastic gun (in need of a repaint, of course) as my weapon of choice:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/TheCosmicCastaway/blaster.jpg]

You have helped tremendously, and I thank you for that :)

If you want an ultra girly smuggler, there's always what I did...

wow, you did a good job on that! It has given me some ideas :)

You could use those small shorts here too. It's inspired from the Rebel Fleet Troopers, I need a holster for it though

A drill holster is something that might work; i bought one for my above-mentioned blaster, and the holster stays right at the hip. It's perfect for holding a weapon, and it's cheap; about $8 at a local hardware store. :)

6. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Another quick option for pants are good old BDU pants you should be able to get at any army/navy store. Plenty of well-placed pockets, practical neutral colors, and very comfortable--only they all run a little on the big side if you're petite. I got a navy blue pair for a really informal smuggler costume I threw together for Halloween, and I've seen light/dark gray, olive green, brown, and black. :)

7. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I actually only saw Tombstone recently on Cable, never saw it in the movies. So I can't say it was my inspiration for the holster.

I'[ve always been a Gun person, going back to High School, and all that. So I've known about Cross Draw holsters and such. I actually had the holster designed and made for My Rebel Pilot costume. When seated, the cross Draw is easier to do then a traditional holster. Just made more sense For a seated pilot.

Nice choice for a custom Blaster.

If you need any more help, gimme a Yell.

8. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    well, here's what I have so far; a few touch-ups are needed. My sister recommended darker pants and a lighter shirt, but im not sure...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/TheCosmicCastaway/bobbysmuggler.jpg]

input is, as always, appreciated :)

9. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    hoped to have this doen earlier... but the repainted blaster (so far)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/TheCosmicCastaway/repaintedblaster.jpg]

10. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Looks OK, (I think you need to higher the settings on your camera)

11. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003

i actually used my webcam... i dont own a digital camera, and i have about 18 pictures left until i have to develop my regular film.

12. Maggie21

Maggie21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2004
    No purple shirt...gah! ::averts eyes::

Okay, so it's not that bad, but generally pants are darker than shirt in color. Um...I am not sure where I got this rule, but I just did.

Also, you need to make sure that it is a costume, not just random pieces of your wardrobe thrown together. It feels different if it is an actual 'costume' not street clothes.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Mag

13. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    very true. thanks for the input :)
    i'm gonna go with the darker pants and lighter shirt, as you suggested.

the shirt is actually a dark blue... but for some reason, my webcam gives everything a pinkish reddish orangey type of tint. My room's walls, for example, are a white with a light shade of blue, yet they look pink-orange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.