main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sneak Peak at a scene from my movie.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Well, I know some of you guys get tired of seeing fanfilms done in a forest. Sooo, how about Hoth? This required me to do a "digital matte painting." The process of how it was done is shown here....

Digital Matte Painting

Let me know what you guys think. Or how I can improve.

2. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    OH man! That's so sweet! No suggestions here... :D

3. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Truly rocking. My kudos are extended to you.

By the way, what program(s) did you use for the shot?

4. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Terragen (CG Lanscape)
    3DS Max (CG snowflakes)
    After Effects (compositing)

5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Very cool!

6. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    WOW! You could have just said "Here's a shot from my movie" and it would have looked live to me! GREAT JOB!!!

7. LostInSpace

LostInSpace Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2002
    WOW, this looks so good! One detail: at the right bottom side you can see the difference between matte and the real footage because of different intensities of blue. But it's a DETAIL and I wouldn't have recognized it if I hadn't searched for something like this anyway.
    So, this is really great work!!!
    Can't wait for the final one ! :D

8. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    nah its not that noticable, there are things like that throughout all movies. Looks good! I truly hope that you make a movie in a snow setting like Hoth.

9. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    Looks great... I'd like to see that one in motion.

BUT: Why the heck did you use blue for that area you painted out? It's already in the digital realm, so you might as well paint it "transparent"... I mean just use a mask in AfterEffects, or paint a seperate alpha channel. So you wouldn't have to bother with blue-spill at all!

10. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    No no no, I didn't use blue in the actual footage. I did make it transparent, I just did the blue for the sake of example, so that you guys could see what was real and what was CG.

11. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    aah, I see... good work then.

still, I wanna see it in motion.

12. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Holy...

Wow, Pixel, that's amazing.

(runs off to do it better)

13. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    GREAT JOB Pixel!

Everyone is always asking for ways to find great locations, when compositing makes it possible to have anything you want right in your own backyard.

I did the same thing for one of the scenes in my own film.
    Here's my original shot in the back yard, and here's the composite making look it like an indoor garden.

(I like your's better Pixel. Nice snow!)

Have fun!

14. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    that is REALLY good!...how did you do those particles?

15. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    That is certainly a great test. :D
    What so great about it that you kept it simple! You took each job in stride and then slapped them all together...the way it's supposed to be.
    Also, stop sitting so close to cold rocks or you're gonna get piles on your hiney! :p

Awesome stuff man! I think you can definitely reach your 'ultimate' goal with that kind of tenacity. [face_mischief]

16. jedi_slayer

jedi_slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2002
    Wow that was really sweeeeeeet!!
    Is that going to be an actual scene from the movie? like with the snow all animated and stuff?? well that is sweet!

17. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I love it!! Awesome job!!

Can't wait to see it in motion...........

18. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok, I guess I can't keep a secret. I will tell the story behind the scene. In my fanfilm, I will be running from a squarden of tie fighters. I am crouched behind the rock because the TIE fighters are shooting at me while I am on the ground. That rock pile is blocking the lasers from hitting me. The lasers will hit CG rocks (not yet pictured) and send rock and snow flying toward the camera, as you see the TIE fighters flying over. And no, you can't see it in motion until the film is released. A month or two.

As for particles...standard Blizzard particle system in MAX

And PadawanNick...that looks great! Just blur the footage a bit to match your background. I gaussian blurred my CG background by 0.5 to match the MiniDV footage. Because, unfortuantely, we don't film in Panavision. I also added video noise to the CG to help sell the effect.

19. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Pixel,

Extremely good job. I wish I knew how to do that. Well, I can figure it out, I guess I should say I wish I had the software to do that :)

And I wish I could have snow here in FL. THEN we culd steer away from forests....

~Neszis~

20. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    I updated the image and added the TIEs. Now, I hope it looks more real.

Update

21. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    I would raise up the tie on the right a little because it looks about 3 feet above your head

22. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Ahhhhh ... but therin lies the SUSPENSE. ;)

23. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    You know what would be cool? After the first two TIE's fly past him, the dude pulls out his lightsaber, switches it on, and tosses it up into the air, severing the wing on the third TIE as it screams past. Then the TIE spins out of control and careers into the ground.

:D

24. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    That's the idea Macho...

EDIT: By the way, look at the size of my body compared to the cockpit of the nearest TIE...that thing is a good 30 ft. away and 20 ft. in the air. But in the video, it will scream past right over my head. And about the idea of cutting the wing off with the lightsaber...I had the same idea...but eventually desided it would be too hard to complete the visual effect of it.

25. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    The dude shares a sneak peak at his stuff and now everyone wants to direct it and re-write the scene! :p
    Hands off get your own sandwich! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.