main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Snoke has a Deeply Painful past.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiWanKnowsMe, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    It's absolutely lazy storytelling if they can't even give us one or two or three--THREE!--lines of dialogue telling us who this guy is/where he came from/why he is important. If you have to buy eight books, three comics series, and a toy line to get your answers, the movie is just a marketing tool designed to sell merch, not a film to stand on its own two legs. Tie-in materials are there to enhance a viewing experience, not fully explain it.

If Snoke has been around during all the other films, and is this powerful, but wasn't present, we need just a little bit of material to tell us why. This isn't the Original Trilogy setting up these films, but the eighth in an established continuity. Snoke is absolutely pointless now

ObiWanKnowsMe, Shadao and CommanderL like this.
  3. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    maybe the novel of TLJ will tell us some thing?Any thoughts on this?Any leaks?

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You realise that your rules also apply to the Emperor and pretty much every previous character. Why is he important? He was the leader of the FO. Could we get a little more in 9? Sure, but I don’t think it’s 100% necessary. Could you have given him a line or two to flesh out his overall agenda? Maybe, but I’m not even sure we get that from Palpatine in the PT. we know he comes from Naboo. We know the Sith want revenge for being wiped out. Other than that and that he killed his master, we know almost nothing about his backstory and any deeper character after ROTS. It isn’t lazy, it just doesn’t match up with what some want from their storytelling. When/if TPTB feel that kind of exposition is relevant to the story it will be revealed.

Strongbow and Christopher Blair like this.
  5. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    We had three movies building up the Emperor in the OT. It wasnt much, but there was quite a bit of hype and payoff when he appeared, a tiny, shriveled man, and controlled a character like Darth Vader. We didnt need a lot of backstory, since it was a small, undefined universe at that point. But we saw him perfectly manipulate and take control of the galaxy during the prequels. His rise to power was masterful storytelling, and definitely one of the best parts of the prequels.

We're eight movies and 40 years of lore deep into the Star Wars franchise, and 4 years or so into the new canon. If there's a guy running around that's more powerful than Palpatine (supposedly) and everyone seems to know him by the ST, we need something.

CakeThiefPro and Shadao like this.
  6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    All you’ve done there is underlined the double standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    All I wanted to know was how did Snoke arose in the First Order and the galaxy in general. The Emperor was always there from the very beginning. But Snoke just popped out of nowhere in the grand context of the Star Wars Saga. He was never mentioned in Episode I-VI and thus I want explanations. You simply cannot use the Emperor to deflect criticisms against Snoke. If Snoke was part of a standalone trilogy unconnected to the Star Wars Saga, that's completely acceptable. But when you have Episode VII plastered in the opening crawl, I want his brief backstory and rise to power before I can accept him as the Emperor's successor.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    GL was absolutely lazy for 3 films for Vader and 6 for Palpatine.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not really. From the very first film we were told that Vader was a Jedi that betrayed his brethren and serves the Empire. That is sufficient biography. It tells us why he has his powers, and how he's prominent in the Imperial hierarchy, and how he likely feels about Obi-wan and Luke. All further information adds detail and color to the proceedings, but the need to know information was contained in a single sentence in the very first film.

Palpatine, likewise really needed no introduction. We knew there was an Empire. Then we were told it has an Emperor. Because so little was established about the universe, there were lots of ways that could make sense. Maybe he took over. Maybe there had always been a hereditary monarch in this system and he just inherited it? Maybe, in the style of Mussolini with the Pope or Franco with the Spanish monarchy, the military was just empowering a bit player that had cultural resonance to give their own reign more legitimacy? It didn't seem to directly contradict anything we already knew.

Snoke contradicts lots of things. How did he become so powerful unnoticed, when so many different groups were actively searching for powerful Force users? Since he was obviously alive during the Galactic Civil War, why didn't he do anything at that time? How did he get so close to the Solo-Skywalker family? This calls into a question a lot of things we have learned over the last six films. It deserves some form of answer in ways that previous villains do not.

Shadao likes this.
  10. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I think Episode VIII is fantastic, and I think Snoke is a great character.

But I have to admit--I can't argue with this.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TOO MANY SNOKE THREADS. LOCKING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.