main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Snoke in the Throne Room - Force Illusion ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PadawanGussin, Dec 17, 2017.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    When we look at Snoke in the Throne Room, he seems to be a younger , healthier version of who he was in TFA.

He was also killed very easily.

Could he, as Luke was at the end of the film, have been a Force illusion projected into the Throne Room to test Kylo's resolve ?

Could Snoke be safe and continuing to heal from apparent injury as he continues to manipulate events?

rebelknight1, TimeZone and Tanjint like this.
  2. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    actually, given how they keep trying to make Phasma happen and how the Knights of Ren still being an unshot bullet to let rip in Ep 9 thus leaving room to explore more Snoke/Kylo background your idea sounds pretty plausible to me.

-T

rebelknight1 likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There's no point to having Snoke not die in TLJ, as he's a boring shell of a character anyway, and bringing him back would add nothing. Having in the first place arguably added nothing either.

4. REALBOBAFETISH

REALBOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    he has said "WISE" 3 times now. Plageuis!

Darth Smurf likes this.
  5. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015

Well at least with him being alive we had a dark side force user who was very strong. Kylo can't even overpower an untrained Rey....

rebelknight1 likes this.
  6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    *Freezes blaster bolt in mid-air*

"Herp derp, Rey, derp derp."

rebelknight1 likes this.
  7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I've said before that I think this is quite possible both in the Snoke thread and the other thread asking this question.

The purpose of Snoke doing this IMO would be because he's trying to kill the light in Kylo. He realizes that he can't get Kylo to kill Rey because of that light. So he lets the charade play out. Rey's rejection of Kylo after activates Kylo's abandonment issues and he declares later in the movie that he will destroy Rey. That's the kind of resolve Snoke wants. Though I think that resolve fell apart again in the end.

Basically if Snoke is the master manipulator we're supposed to believe he is and knows how to play Kylo like a fiddle, this is the far more likely scenario to me.

jimtalkbox likes this.
  8. TimeZone

TimeZone Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2015

Didn't work out too well for him after she discovered she was force sensitive.

9. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    This is exactly what I'm hoping for. =D=

10. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Hello, been awhile since I've been on here. Bear in mind, I haven't had a chance to read the books for the new canon yet, so maybe my ideas are already squashed in some novel. As far as Snoke possibly being a force illusion, I could see that but I have an idea for slightly different take on that. We've seen that Snoke created a force "bond" between Rey and Kylo, so who is to say that he hasn't already done so with Kylo in a similar matter. This force bond with Kylo might even go to a greater extent than the one between him and Rey. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps Snoke has somehow become a part of Kylo, essentially possessing him in a sense. If that were the case, it wouldn't matter if Kylo decimated his master's body, because Snoke would be a part of Kylo Ren's mind/spirit.

Basically my idea starts out that Snoke makes a bond with Kylo, and somehow manages to connect their life forces, for the purpose of enhancing or replenishing his strength. If this were the case, then it would explain why the Supreme Leader looked somewhat healthier in TLJ than his appearance in TFA. All the while, Snoke is training Kylo with the secret intent to essentially turn him into the perfect vessel for his own essence. I'm drawing a little inspiration from Palpatine in the old EU where he would transfer his spirit in multiple clone bodies. Since Disney/Lucasfilm has been cherry picking elements from the old EU to reuse in the new canon, I could possibly see them going this route with Snoke. An eerie thought occurs to me. Snoke mentioned seeing the rise and fall of the Empire correct? What if the whole time he was hiding out in the subconscious of one or more characters throughout the other two trilogies, perhaps even influencing them without anyone ever realizing he was there. Others have mentioned when Snoke was described as being wise, suggesting him being Darth Plagueis. My thought is he could have been some entity that was influencing the Sith Lord into creating the ultimate vessel for him. His current form could have been from a failed attempt, possibly interrupted by Palpatine who destroyed his master and attempted to destroy Snoke. With the old canon, I've seen it suggested by other fans that Palpatine might've created the Empire to prepare for the Vong invasion. Perhaps in the new canon, Snoke had assumed that role after Palpatine was unable to defeat this person/entity for whatever reason.

However, if it turns out as simple as what we see on screen, and Snoke is simply dead, that still works for me. The whole motivation behind Kylo Ren is that he hero worships Darth Vader and wants to finish what he started. I'm sure he found out Vader had tempted his uncle with the idea of uniting and overthrowing the Emperor. Regardless if Vader truly meant that or if it had been just a ruse, Kylo may have chosen to believe his grandfather was sincere and added "overthrowing my master" to his checklist of becoming like Vader. And succeeding at what Vader failed to do in his eyes I imagine would be a major ego boost for Kylo. No matter what route they go with Snoke after TLJ, I don't see Kylo coming back to the light easily.

11. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Yeah those shots of him with tongue hanging out... no illusion there. He’s dead. Treated like a piece of garbage getting kicked around.

Unless......

He again escapes death, is totally hell bent on killing Kylo, nearly destroys him until Rey finally kills him and saves kylo.

Good lord JJ don’t screw this one up!

Boski and robbman21 like this.
  12. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    How could he be a projection if a lightsaber is able to pierce him? Look how Kylo's lightsaber goes right through force projection Luke.

It's a neat idea but I don't think it's true. He's dead.

We already had the master planner, evil demon dark side manifestation Emperor character as the central villain. Now we have a more conflicted, reckless, unstable and flawed, tragic, morally complex antagonist who is building over the course of the three movies slowly into the ultimate villain, going where Darth Vader could have had he not been maimed and disfigured on Mustafar and had he succeed in killing Palpatine.

Kylo, as a Skywalker, has the potential to be more powerful than Palpatine or even Yoda. "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us!"

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I like your thinking, but unfortunately Snoke's body never disappeared. They even showed a close up of it a few scenes later.

DarkGingerJedi and wobbits like this.
  14. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    He most likely is, but it's fun to speculate. I got a good chuckle when they cut back to the throne room and I think his lower half plops off the the chair. Probably Rian Johnson driving home the point that he's dead as a door nail.

15. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I hope he's dead. And Ben hasn't truly wanted to defeat Rey yet. Twice he's asked her to join him and now that they've bonded I hope they stay hopeful of each other in IX

Trikuza23 and oncafar like this.
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017

And you can hear the thud when his lower half hits the floor.

Cantina Regular and Krueger like this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the only illusion is that snoke thought he was all powerful.

zackm likes this.
  18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Uuuuuuh, if Snoke's death was somehow a Force vision, we'd never be able to trust anything else in the movies. I think that would be one fake-out too far. Although cutting Maul in half didn't seem to work; I suppose it's not impossible.

Also, if Snoke was somehow still alive, then I think he would HAVE to be Darth Plagueius, who presumably had control over life and death. But honestly, would Snoke give up the chance of tweaking Kylo about how his lightsaber didn't work on him if he was just a Force illusion? No way. He was having waaaaay too much fun insulting him at the time.

Is this going to be like it was after TESB came out? Everyone was like, "Oh, Darth Vader CAN'T be Luke's father! We'll find out the truth in the next movie!" So, they're going to have to definitively say, "Yes, Snoke is dead." in Ep IX.

19. SnokeIsAMidget

SnokeIsAMidget Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Nah, he was just a vehicle for Kylo's character arc. It's disappoining but this is the way movies are going nowadays.

20. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    darth maul survived being cut in half and tossed down a shaft. apparently he used the dark side to accomplish this. i imagine he used the force to hold his blood and organs in his body.

21. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree with the first sentence that Snoke as a character was used to further the darkness in Ben Solo but it was "not disappointing"; Snoke like emperor Palpatine was over-confident and that was his demise. "I see now you are ready to .... kill Rey and then you will be as powerful as ... Darth Vader" all at the same time Snoke believes he can still read his apprentices thoughts, and that that moment Ben is slowing turning the "Skywalker" lightsaber to kill his master.

22. SnokeIsAMidget

Dec 16, 2015

The disappointing part is that Snokes only point seems to have been to further the darkness in Kylo. The scene itself was very entertaining, but it happened at the wrong time / in the wrong movie.

23. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Well Ben Solo and Rey are the two main protagonist (or protagonist/antagonist) the entire cast serves their character arcs regardless of subplots.

24. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I don’t know Snoke seem to be able to survive death dealing blows already. What’s a severed body?

25. SnokeIsAMidget

Dec 16, 2015
    That might be true, but cutting Snokes screen time when he is the pivotal figure of the setting transitioning from the OT to the ST was a mistake. Especially, when there is a half hour long subplot in this movie that doesn't do anything to further the story.