main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Snoke possessing Luke in 8

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I don't see Disney playing Luke as a weakened/misguided/passive/vulnerable to possession old man. I think they'll play him as the most powerful Jedi ever. The first movie was about the search for Luke, Snoke is terrified of him and after the First Order attacked the Republic, he's been made to appear as the last big hope for the good guys.

Actually, I think Luke will be unconventional in the next episode(s). I think the reason he has retreated from civilisation is to learn how to balance the force within himself, because light v dark doesn't work. If that means being AWOL while the First Order destroy planets and Han dies, then so be it, because Lukes mission is ultimately more important than that. I think we'll see an awesome demonstration of power from Luke, showing Rey the way, with Rey then 'graduating' and being the first of the new generation of 'balanced' Jedi - Lukes true legacy. That will enable Luke to fulfil his destiny as the 'greatest of all time' before our eyes, but it's Rey that actually defeats the bad guys and is the star of this trilogy. So it means Luke becomes the mentor, but in a different, more effective and impressive way than Yoda.

In terms of Luke overshadowing Rey in confrontations with Kylo, they could easily have him on a separate but related mission so that he doesn't steal her limelight.

SunStar and nightangel like this.
  2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    nightangel, I definitely agree with you. Luke, not Rey or anyone else, needs to be the one who rebuilds the Jedi order. The filmmakers chose to destroy Luke's order between RotJ and TFA, and now I feel they owe it to Luke to allow him to be the one who rebuilds it again. Just training Rey is NOT enough. Now, I wouldn't mind having Rey help Luke restore the order eventually, but this legacy should be Luke's. It really irritates me that all three of the OT characters were handled so poorly and were so disrespected in TFA and it's backstory. If the filmmakers couldn't come up with decent, respectful roles for these iconic characters, they shouldn't have included them in the sequel trilogy in the first place. They should have just set their story one hundred or more years after RotJ, where the legacies and lives of Luke, Han, and Leia wouldn't have been affected, and they could have remained beloved, heroic characters of the Star Wars universe's past, instead of being broken characters with miserable lives and no legacies in the present time.

And whoever said that Luke has the legacy of " destroyer of the Sith", that's not really true. Anakin Skywalker destroyed the Sith, not Luke. Anakin killed the emperor and Darth Vader. So, Luke has NO legacy if he doesn't restore the Order. After the poor manner in which Luke has been handled, he had better survive the trilogy and rebuild the Jedi order. Having anyone but Luke get credit for restoring the order is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe that older characters should be tossed aside like unwanted garbage so new characters can shine and be given the legacies that should have been theirs.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Without Luke's decision to confront Vader with compassion in ROTJ, and defy the Emperor/ refuse to join the Sith, Darth Vader/ Anakin would have never killed the Emperor. And beyond that, without Luke leaving his comfort zone, and doing everything he did in the OT, the Empire, the Emperor and Vader would still be ruling over the galaxy with an iron fist. So Luke was indeed a fundamental part of destroying the Sith. That's definitely part of his legacy.

This deeply and singularly hyper-individualistic interpretation of legacy is sort of distressing. Luke, Anakin, Han, Leia, Lando, the Rebellion - they collectively brought down the Empire (and the Emperor). People hardly ever do anything completely and utterly on their own. If Luke, via his unique brand of teachings, trains Rey into an extraordinary Jedi, and Rey goes on to build a "Lukasian Jedi Order," then that is absolutely a huge legacy for Luke. And for Rey as well. This concept of a collective legacy is also far more consistent with the humility of Jedi teachings. The insistence that Luke must "own" the legacy of the Jedi Order by himself, without the significant participant of others, simply seems off-kilter.

I mean, does Luke have to build the new Jedi temple brick by brick for him to get credit for anything?

Dra--- and Thorin Oakenshield like this.
  4. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    It seems like you've made these points before.

Dra--- and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This has really just turned into another Luke or Snoke thread. Locking.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.