main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Snoke's ultimate goal... what he REALLY wants

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, which is why he created them.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm undecided either
    this
    [​IMG]

or
    [​IMG]

hmmm, maybe it's both.[face_thinking]

Alienware, 11-4D, Darthman92 and 5 others like this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Been trying to reverse engineer aspects of the story. If we assume for a moment that both Rey and Ben become heirs to the Skywalker line my question to that is... what good is that if there's no kingdom to inherit or wealth to inherit? Star Wars is based on myth and often when heirs battle for something it's a dynasty of some kind.

This brought me to Snoke and Anakin's prophecy. What if the Chosen One prophecy was a little more complex than originally thought (somehow)? Or, if there was another aspect to it connected to it? I have no idea what such a thing could be but I do know it wouldn't be hard to set such a thing up. Especially with Luke at the first Jedi temple and Snoke possibly ancient and well-versed in Force lore.

Basically, I think there had to be something for the Skywalker cousins to either want or want to stop the other from gaining. That would help play into lineage mythos more. Otherwise, I'm not sure it makes full use of the bloodline potential or Kylo representing the Dark Side of the chosen One and Rey representing the Light. It has to lead to somewhere more mythical than the war itself and feel more epic and connected to the nature of the Force itself somehow. Such a thing would still connect into the war but also be its own Force-related story onto itself within the saga.

I think Luke is becoming aware of this and Snoke already is.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He want's people to stop suggesting that he's related to Rey.:p

starocean90 likes this.
  5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Of course it is about some force-legacy. This is not Game of Thrones.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    "I've already forgotten Snoke."
    - GreyJedi91

They definitely should have made his agenda clearer.

7. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Hi Satele Novelist,

When Kylo in TFA took off his mask already and told us that he is tempted by the light, Snoke's ultimate goal is one of the few mysteries left in the ST.

8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    for better or worse, the skywalkers have been kind of controlling the fate of the galaxy for a while. the winning skywalker "takes the galaxy" (at least from an evil pov). from a good point of view, one would want to defend against those who would claim the galaxy so as to restore peace and justice.

but i think there is even more now, with the unknown regions and the 'beyond' as for especially the evil characters (like snoke) there may be more to claim than just this galaxy. greater power though is greater power.

9. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Totally galaxy allegiance.

10. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    ....... is pepperoni, sausage and banana peppers on his Tombstone.

11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Snoke's ultimate goal? To wear his hair down too.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I keep telling people it's probably some big Force Drain galaxy life sucking scheme to make him either all powerful, younger, or immortal. Or all three.

lawton and Darth Caliban like this.
  13. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I've read many theories that give Snoke a higher mystical goal, often related to affecting the state of the Force on a cosmic level. Some of these are interesting, but I find all of them somewhat unlikely, mainly because of the medium. I don't imagine the remaining films will suddenly become deeply philosophical and devote time toward introducing a significant level of metaphysical layers so that a general audience can understand what Snoke is doing.

Most likely it will be a similar situation to what happened with Palpatine. He was the Emperor and wanted to continue being that during the original trilogy. In the prequels he was not the Emperor, and wanted to become that, while at the same time he also wanted to eliminate the Jedi. Pretty straightforward. We do get some additional internal perspective on grander schemes of Palpatine's in Tarkin, but Luceno has specified that that is part of his vision of the character, rather than something that he was directed to include by the story group.

So I think we'll likely get an equal level of depth on Snoke's intentions from the films, while any deeper characterization will be provided in novels, if anywhere. Certainly, these movies work best when they stick to the more archetypal and mythical story elements, rather than devoting attention to the details. So I would not be surprised if what we get from the films is that Snoke wants to conquer the galaxy, gain complete control, and eliminate any threats to himself. I do think we may get some more glimpses into a personal goal, based on his deformities and injuries, but I don't think it would go too far beyond him wanting to stay alive.

Granted, they could present both the surface-level, cinematic narrative in the films while giving more hints at a more metaphysical, Force-focused backstory that would then be expanded in books. What I do think will be interesting is how his methods differ from Palpatine's, since it's likely that they will try to diverge from that. We don't really know much about him, so there's a lot that could be done there to differentiate the method and character of his plan, even if the eventual destination is the same (power, and lots of it).

Sudooku likes this.
  14. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Snoke wants retribution from when Anakin cut off his hand and Palpatine blasted him out the window with Force lightning.

dogprivilege likes this.
  15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    To be a more effective Galactic Empire.

16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    What he really wants is girls.

And a new bathrobe.

17. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    I hear that the Snoke Mansion is much better than Palp's Imperial Palace. At the Snokester's place, there's hot tub parties with all the Twi'lek bunny girls. Everyone who's anyone in the galaxy is always there for games night and holo-movie night.

18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    snoke is being ushered out by the dark side, being eaten away and he doesn't want to go. that's why he's high strung, desperate, afraid. he's an old man racing against the clock. perhaps it's not that he would want to crush kylo but infuse him? possess him? become him?

19. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I'm picturing Kylo in a gold kimono now.

20. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    He wants the Force to himself. Probably needs all that power to actually obtain immortality

if he even has the Force, I'm still not convinced.

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    What does Snoke really want? More screen time! Sorry Snoke. Sometimes where there's Snoke there's not always fire.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I don't remember Anakin doing that.

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    this reminds me of kylo saying look how old you've become to LST. snoke is a petty elderly materialist and he doesn't wanna go. the age remark could have interesting significance later even if only a tie in to snoke's dilemma and the theme of letting go?

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, we know Snoke used to be handsome and even now that he looks half dead he's still trying to look attractive in his golden robe. So it's pretty obvious that Snoke still wants to be player with the gents/ladies.

Snoke is just an allegory for all of us over 40 SW fans still trying to have game when we should really just hang it up.

25. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Golden Robe for Snoke? Where's that?