Snow!

Discussion in 'Midlands and Wales' started by To_Mega_Therion, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To_Mega_Therion Jedi Knight

star 3
    Rumour has it it is going to snow around here tomorrow, if it hasn't already!

I love the snow.

Is anyone prepared for the arctic conditions? I am! :)
  2. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    I wasn't but I am now the coalman has been... I love snow to I can't wait :D
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Snow is great
    Apart from the fact it disrupts traffic

Shame it doesn't snow as much down south here as it used to, cant even go sledging :_|
  4. rebeljediknight_88 Force Ghost

star 4
    its snowing!!!! but its not sticking :_|
  5. veritasuk Jedi Master

star 4
    no snow here, in fact its getting warmer, we havent had a frost for 3 days! Hearing about awful conditions in the midlands on the radio yeasterday , and we had blue skies!
  6. To_Mega_Therion Jedi Knight

star 3
    Am disappointed. It was a sunny day. [face_worried]
  7. rebeljediknight_88 Force Ghost

star 4
    no snow! nice warm day! I've seen HP!!!
  8. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No snow here, either.

Frost is settling in for sure, and it's freezing out there. Still, where's the snow? :confused:
  9. rebeljediknight_88 Force Ghost

star 4
    its amazing. its actually too cold to snow - is that possible??
  10. darkinhere Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've never understood that phrase. How cold is it in the arctic circle? It still snows...

(stands back and waits for the meteorologists to jump in)
  11. veritasuk Jedi Master

star 4
    I hate this weather. I hate being cold 24/7. I'm never warm despite wearing so much wool I wouldnt dare visit wales, I thought Thermals were meant to keep you warm? How? by Burning them? I hate this country cold. Cant we drag it nearer the equator?
  12. elelith Jedi Knight

star 1
    NO! The cold is fantastic!! The heat is awful, when you're hot, it's really difficult to get cool again, you always end up getting too hot again. BUT, when you're too cold, just stoke up the fire, turn up the thermostat and put on a lovely thick warm jumper. I love the winter, may it never end. Oh that would be great like in a Narniaesq situation, where it was always winter and occasionaly Christmas. That way there would be snow all the time.
  13. rebeljediknight_88 Force Ghost

star 4
    izzy will probably agree with me here. it should be like iceland. especially with the heated pools :D
  14. To_Mega_Therion Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's not looking promising for a white Christmas.
  15. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5

Errr hi.

How Do Snowflakes Form?

Snowflakes are a particular form of water ice. Snowflakes form in clouds, which consist of water vapor. When the temperature is 32° F (0° C) or colder, water changes from its liquid form into ice. Several factors affect snowflake formation. Temperature, air currents, and humidity all influence shape and size. Dirt and dust particles can get mixed up in the water and affect crystal weight and durability. The dirt particles make the snowflake heavier, and can cause cracks and breaks in the crystal and make it easier to melt. Snowflake formation is a dynamic process. A snowflake may encounter many different environmental conditions, sometimes melting it, sometimes causing growth, always changing its structure.

Can it be too cold to snow?

In actuality, earth's troposphere is not too cold to snow but rather it is "too dynamically stable to snow". Dynamic stability may be present due to low-level cold air advection, a lack of upper level divergence, and/or a lack of low level convergence. Also, if dynamic lifting does occur it may not produce precipitation that reaches the surface due to low relative humidity values in the lower troposphere.

Any of that make any sense or do I have to Englishify it?

16. rebeljediknight_88 Force Ghost

star 4
  17. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    No as in take out all the sciencey words and put it in laymans terms or did that make sense to anyone?

It only makes sense to me doesn't it :(
  18. veritasuk Jedi Master

star 4
    no, not at all. I understand it but then I'm a super genius.
  19. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am sorry Terry but you are wrong. So here's the real science bit (shakes hair like in hair colour advert) ... Snow flakes are drandruff from the gods (ye gods of olde!), super frozen just because they like it that way. Why would they drop their dandruff on us, well go ask an ant, and you'll get your answer. I do all the time. Smart little things ants.

And whilst I make my escape, I will leave you with the almighty snow dance (much funkier than common rain dance) and hope that it works in time for Christmas day :p

[image=http://www.timbolton.freeserve.co.uk/forum_pics/penguin_01.jpg]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.