main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So 2030 Americas little problem

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Eating a dish of curried goat prepared by the folks in Jamaica with whom my missionary group in Jamaica was living was/is one of the most delightful culinary experiences of my life.

Souderwan likes this.
  2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Why havent the US switched over to goat? I am sure goat burger would taste the same as beef burgers. Goats require less water, less feed, herding is a bit problematic I guess. And goat dairy in my opinion is not as tasty as cow dairy.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I ate lamb in the UK (thanks to DarthBreezy 's niece ) and rabbit in France, both were delicious.

I think Souderwan is right, we're used to eating cows, chickens and pigs because they provide a lot of meat at very low maintenance, especially when they'll eat the corn that is already subsidized by the US government.

As far as goat dairy--even my picky-eater five-year-old was convinced to try goat cheese while visiting his grandparents last summer, and he really liked it. I think it should be offered as an option more often than it is; I don't know how the cost of raising goats compares to that of cows.

Souderwan likes this.
  4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that's the same argument in favor of medical marijuana...

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Goat's cheese is heavenly. Blue goat's cheese is beyond heavenly. I want some goat's cheese right now.

6. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I find too much smell not enough flavor, and thats when it dosent taste like mildly sour yogurt but it might just be me.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I've never seen a blue goat.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, there are purple cows, so why not blue goats, too? :p

[​IMG]

EDIT: I've tried goat cheese, but I'm not too crazy about it. LOVE sheep cheese, though. =P~

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'M FAT AND EUROPEAN HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That's true as well, but have you ever gone grocery shopping on a limited budget for a family of seven? You're going to spend an extra hour trying to find products that DON'T have that horrible crap in them, if you're in need of quick, easy-to-prepare meals.

My standby solution to a big chunk of the problem is to buy chicken and vary the bi-weekly slow-cooker recipes. I can't afford to shop at Trader Joe's yet, so I have to be creative in the kitchen.

I forgot where I was going with this.

Edit: Oh yeah...making your own hummus is not only fun, but far healthier.

Sauntaero likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Plus I'm not seeing a tired parent accompanied by tired kids spending an extra hour in the grocery store reading food labels. It's not a realistic expectation. Plus it gets harder when you shop at the grocery stores that cater more towards the working class. I know grocery stores vary all over the country but around here, at Food Lion, the one that boasts "always the lowest price--always" and no-frills grocery aisles, it's impossible to find yogurt without high fructose corn syrup in it. Whereas Harris Teeter, which is a fancier and higher-priced grocery store, or at Trader Joe's, you can find four or five different kinds of yogurt without HFCS. The food industry and grocery chains almost make it harder for poor people to eat well.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    EXACTLY.

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Smell and flavour are pretty much the same thing! I think you need to get the European stuff; American cheese is very useful for repairing a tire puncture, but I wouldn't eat it. ;)

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. I got hooked on Camembert when I was in France.

American cheese: cheddar made by the right cheese-maker is good, but when I think of American cheese, I think of "pasteurized processed cheese food," which is disgusting.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  15. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    When I hink of american cheese cheddar is the only cheese. kraft....substance isn't cheese it's...it's...ummmm.

16. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    QFT. Homemade hummus is so much better.

17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    chicken, brown rice and fresh veggies are cheap as anything and can feed families on limited budgets. The problem is fat familes wanna stuff their face with $5 bags of dorritos and mac n cheese...

eating cheap and clean isn't difficult, even for people with limited budgets. Its an excuse they love to use... By a water filter, way cheaper than guzzling soda and Hawaiian punch..

18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why all the hostility against fat people? Did your fat girlfriend run off with your fat best friend?

19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    With this woman:
    [​IMG]

, it would be that the best friend was a girl too (she swings both ways).

anakinfansince1983 and V-2 like this.
  20. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Loving the new series, btw, especially the opening of episode 1 (which kind of puts this on-topic, almost). :)

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I hate when laws are put into place for people who cant handle any type of self responsibility... Look at NYC, Bloomburg and his ridiculous ideas on obesity.

22. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Laws should be in place for people who can't handle ANY type of self responsibility. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Why do you think that fat people can't handle any type of personal responsibility? Being overweight isn't the same thing as being an infant or legally insane.

24. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    It's not fat people, its the magnatude. 2030 50% of the nation. we are over 300 million strong, so that it over 150 million fat to obese people in 17 years. that takes some people aback, the volume and the speed of it suprised the hell out of me.

25. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, but LandoTheCapeCalrissian actually equated being fat to having no ability to be responsible at all. I was wondering where he got that from.