main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So 2030 Americas little problem

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Cept you just agreed to a similar sentiment (that the issue is far more complex than simply lacking willpower) in a different post.

And dude the edit button is there for a (or several) reason(s). One of which is so you don't have a string of responses in successive posts.

2. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    wrong, what I said was there of course are other factors playing a part in this. Not every single person who's obese is that way because they eat non stop.

what im saying is that most people who are heavy and out of shape can correct that by changing their poor eating habits.. its nothing more that a life style change that needs to strictly followed.

Yet you sit here and disagree with what every doctor and nutritionist says on this subject..

3. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I haven't disagreed with any doctor. Neither did Souderwan. He simply was illustrating the issue is far more complex than you make it seem.

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    If that were true, though, then why do diets so often fail (and spectacularly at that)? When you look here for instance (article from 2009, granted):

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/28/health/main620201.shtml

For example:

Studies conducted on obese people enrolled in hospital-based experiments have indicated that within a year, dieters regain one-third to one-half of the weight they lost. Within five years, most of them gain almost all of it back.

I mean, these are hospital-based experiments. I don't think the failure can be attributed solely to people lacking in willpower or desire to lose weight. And it's certainly not an issue with the program when it's doctors and nutritionists running it.

There's just too many other factors to consider.

Souderwan, Juliet316 and V-2 like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Somebody who was overweight/obese has to eat less calories to maintain, say, 180 than someone who has always been that weight-- and they have to do it forever. That's ****ing intimidating.

V-2 and Spider-Fan like this.
  6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

or it could be looked at as a life style change..

and to the other poster most people put their weight back on because they go back into poor eating habits.

Why are people even disagreeing with this. your diet plays a major role in a persons lifestyle

7. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

and I completely disagree. I already said if most people made small changes theyd lose weight.

8. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm curious how much weight you've had to lose since you were obese?

V-2 likes this.
  9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I was chubbier before puberty than filled out.... for only about 1-2 years... mostly baby fat or whatever they call it...

but that doesn't change the fact that there is so much literature on how better eating habits and working out very few times a week can make a world of difference in a persons physical well being.

10. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    No one is disputing that better eating habits and exercise will help the issue. They are saying the problem is far more complex than simply having the willpower.

Juliet316 and V-2 like this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    There's a lot of self help literature in general, none of it is necessarily true.

Nutritionists are about as reliable as economists IMO, but the most credible tend to agree that diets don't work, that you can't change your body type with exercise, that rapid weight loss results in rapid weight gain due to biological functions in the digestive system (ie, not something that strength of will is going to affect).

Souderwan likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    what Im saying is that most people who are poor can correct that by making more money. . its nothing more that a life style change that needs to be strictly followed.

Yet you sit here and disagree with what every economist and accountant says on this subject..

Spider-Fan and V-2 like this.
  13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Let them eat cake.

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

this is one of the most irrelevant things ive yet to read on this site...

being fat and poor eating choices is a bit different than making more money wouldn't you say... One is instantly correctable the other isn't.. Everyone whos heavy could put down the bad processed foods and pick up an Apple instead. they could go outside and walk for 15 minutes instead of watching tv.

youre example is so off the wall its comical.

15. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    and I say I disagree..

if people could quit smoking cold turkey, out of shape unhealthy people could do the same...

16. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    If being overweight was instantly correctable I would have been thin weeks ago.

You make it seem like a lifestyle change, ie a life-time commitment and complete change in state of mind, is as easy as flipping a switch. It's not a simple choice, it's a struggle like any habitual change.

V-2 likes this.
  17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

since when is doing something to benefit yourself ever easy.. Its like you've never watched a motivational speech or movie in your entire life. The best things in life are the most challenging.

Hence life style change, no one said its easy but where there is a will there is a way.

Honestly youre a pain in my butt on this site and kinda being a jerk to me constantly but BEST OF LUCK TO YOU... If you believe you can do it you can!!!!! Make it part of your life not an addition to your life. Than eating properly and exercising is always there for you.

18. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm sorry but you are the one claiming obesity is instantly correctable and that healthy living is a simple matter of choice.

Furthermore I don't see how discussing your points and finding problems with your logic is being a jerk.

V-2 likes this.
  19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Listen if you wanna be a person who uses every excuse under the sun be my guest, its genetics, my genes, corn syrup, subsidies to corn producers, etc etc, etc...

Just put the friggin cup cake down and grab an apple. That's willpower and youll feel better about yourself in the end. People no matter what it is wanna put the blame on everything other than themselves, when its usually themselves who are their worst enemies.

I said it before best of luck to you man, im sure you can do it. Its not gonna be easy but only blame yourself if you cant keep on track.

Cigarette smokers do the same thing, oh I like when after I eat, its a habit, I like them when I drink or after sex. NOPE just put them down, sure the urges are like incredible but that's where excuses overtake you will power..

you know why youre a jerk on here to me. You act as if you live in a glass bubble with no real world knowledge of anything. The babe in the woods routine.

20. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I am not using excuses. I am not disagreeing that healthy eating and exercise go a long way to helping obesity. But you continue to oversimplify the issue ignoring the complex elements of weight loss and remain utterly condescending. It's not nearly as simple or black and white as you make it seem. Boiling down the issue to willpower does the issue no justice, is entirely inaccurate and continues to miss the point.

Not to mention cold turkey has a very low success rate in smokers.

EDIT: I'm actually pretty knowledgeable on the matter thanks. :) Again, calling into question your poor logic in a discussion doesn't make me a jerk. I'm sorry you feel so insulted by someone disagreeing with you.

V-2 likes this.
  21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    well I don't mean to sound condescending. I did tell you best of luck and hope you stick with it. I understand how things like that are hard, extremely hard as a matter of fact but you know people who put their weight back on do so for a reason. Usually coming off track of their goals. Its easy to slip up, I understand that but that doesn't change the fact that people need to look at themselves first and foremost in these matters.

Now im not saying this towards you at all but some of these people just need to make smarter choices. Its really that simple. If you eat fast food 6 times a week, well switch it to 3, than to 2 and so on. I just don't get how people don't do that. Don't cut it out completely but limit it gradually at a time.

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    See that's a much more reasonable post and I can agree with you there.

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Always fun to help a lardass customer at the store who wants to buy an inflatable life vest and gets argumentative about the size.

LAC: "I need it in a 4x"
    Me: "Well these are all made to be a universal fit. One size fits most."
    LAC:"Yeah but will it fit ME?"
    Me: "It should. One size fits most."
    LAC: "NO. Will it fit ME?"
    Me: "It might."
    LAC: "Well do you have any bigger ones?"
    Me: "No sir, all of these inflatables are made to be one size."
    LAC: "Then how will they keep me above the water?"
    Me: "Each one is made with a CO2 cartridge that inflates it. It is made only to keep your head above water."
    LAC: "Okay. Will it fit me though?"
    Me: "You can try it on. The inflatable vests only come in one size: universal adult. The only thing we have in traditional sizes are the regular vests."
    LAC: "But I don't want one of those! They are uncomfortable."

*sigh*

24. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This post, along with the sum total of all your posts in this thread and the fitness goals thread leads me to draw two conclusions about you, neither of which are particularly flattering.

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Willpower itself isn't an entirely mental phenomenon. It's a depletable biochemical brain resource. Decision fatigue is a well-studied phenomenon. People who are obese often not only have to learn to exercise and eat at a calorie deficit, they also have to learn how to navigate the limits of human willpower and cognitive control over what are basically animal brain processes.

If I were triaging the national obesity epidemic, I would start by preventing people who aren't yet fat from getting fat, starting with children. That certainly explains the First Lady's Let's Move initiative. One, it's easier to train children about nutrition and exercise than it is to train adults. Two, it's easier to stay thin than to go from being fat to thin. Third, the longer you have obesity-related problems like Type II diabetes, the more systemic damage it does.

We're more likely to have success by just giving up on the nation's obese adults and focusing all our healthcare resources on preventing obesity in childhood and creating a nation of healthier adults for the next generation. If we can create a new generation that eats less, exercises more, they'll also live longer and probably place a more manageable healthcare burden on our GDP.