main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So 2030 Americas little problem

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I wrote in an early post that it might be possible that dying younger represented a net gain for the health care system. One thing to remember is that what might be true under the UK universal healthcare system might not necessarily be true in the U.S. There's a good chance it is true though. No matter when you die, there tends to be a massive amount of spending on end of life care. If you die sooner, you still have the massive end of life care but maybe lower lifetime costs.

So, maybe our system is the best way: fatten up the poor and get them out of Medicare sooner. Maybe they won't even make it to Medicare!!

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The UK has been discussing the idea of a fat tax for years, but we already have high food prices and things like the pasty tax have proved unpopular. Supermarkets refuse to cooperate with the government and each other in creating healthy food indicators on food packaging, the government, motivated by party contributions from the supermarket owners, is not willing or able to force them to do anything.

I think the US is in a better position to set a modest tax on high calorie foods and snacks because your food is so cheap, but I expect your supermarkets enjoy even more government corruptionperation than ours.