main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, a dislike button in the future? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 2, 2014.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Now, set aside that it's me advocating for this, and give it some thought. Well, more thought, because there's no way that this hasn't been thought about by others. :p Among the new features we've been enjoying with XenForo is the 'like' button. Serves a rather simple purpose, but a useful one. Sometimes it's easier to simply like a post without needlessly repeating the sentiment and/or facts present in the original post, or on the flip side, it can add to the experience of whatever discussion is taking place. So, why not have an option showcasing a less than enthusiastic view? It doesn't necessarily even have to be the word 'dislike', but 'meh' or something similar to that.

Is this a pressing issue? No. Admittedly, we can continue to go on without it. However, why not add a little something different to the posting experience?

Qymaen, V-2 and Bounty Hunter Heshler like this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because there isn't a dislike function, the closest addon that broaches that kind of functionality is one of those tedious karma meter dealies.

Falcon and Bazinga'd like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus it will end up being used for cyber bullying, as 110% of us will dislike every imbeezel post.

Juliet316 and FatBurt like this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    On a forum I moderate, we have karma disabled for that very reason; it's rife for abuse. Bad enough that someone discovered a way to abuse our like buttons there.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, I guess I "dislike" your post Tunick...

TrakNar likes this.
  6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    So, the consensus appears to be a 'no'? Thank goodness for that. My posts are usually met with silence, birds chirping in the distance, a pin drop and the like. As such, I like to leave it up to my imagination that such a lack of response is due to people being in pure awe of what I write. That many are taken aback by the points I raise. I need only assume how much of that perceived tranquility is in actuality censorship of rage, ire... perhaps even general contempt.

Having said that, a dislike button may appear to be a fun new addition on the surface, but for me it could turn out to be somewhat too... revealing. I can see it now... Jetedonne Pur-Pureus the first person not to be technically banned by mods, but instead ostracized by an overwhelming margin of angry Star Wars fans. No thank you.

Lord Chazza, Thuro, Pensivia and 7 others like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This exactly.

I've actually heard complaints that the "like" function is used for cyber bullying, with someone saying something nasty to or about someone else and several other people coming in and "liking" the nasty comment.

I personally enjoy the "like" function as I can show that I agree with someone's post without making another post that says "I agree," but a "dislike" function wouldn't serve that purpose. Better to post that you disagree and say why.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm also going with "no", for the multiple reasons outlined above.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ditto here. Simply too much potential for nastiness and general bad feelings.

10. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Facebook still hasn't adopted it no matter how much it's been called for, I don't it coming here. :p

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This isn't reddit.

PRENNTACULAR and Darth Guy like this.
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Literally THIS

Darth Guy likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think a "dislike" button is contradictory to any forum that welcomes a diversity of ideas . It will disuade New Users from posting for fear of being ostercized.

The Shadow Emperor and J_Girl like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd also be against it - it would show an unfriendly side to the site, especially for new users that might not be familiar with forums.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Bounty Hunter Heshler Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2014
    We could have a dislike button
    It's fully possible
    Too bad some of us are not mature enough to have it.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think this would be very unwise. There are some very sensitive folks here it could do much more damage than I think some would consider.

twowolves likes this.
  17. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    the dislike button wouldnt bother me. that being said, i am in the vast minority with that opinion.

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Or some people are mature enough to understand the broader consequences of having a "dislike" button.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Oh. Well, I've never come across one of those karma meter dealies in any of the forums I've posted and/or lurked in. I'll have to look that up to see how that exactly looks, etc.

That's fine; an acceptable action to take.

Well, and this too goes to the points made by Bazinga'd & LAJ_FETT that are below your post, forms of negativity already exist (whether it be because of schitck, or via debates, either legit or otherwise), so I don't think a 'dislike'esque option would add that much more to the overall negative equation, at least over the long haul. At the beginning? Sure, but eventually people get used to it, etc. I think having a climate in which a diversity of opinion is wanted, needed, etc, can still continue to survive. I realize some would be put off by it, and this is still is a family-centricish site & forums (maybe), but having too much of a kid-glove environment isn't exactly the greatest thing.

At least, that's the way I feel about it. This is going to end up not happening anyway (that's abundantly clear), which is okay.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    In my experience this place doesn't have kid gloves.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    for you and I. Others need to be protected a bit.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That was in reference to 1) the sentiment against the 'dislike' option and 2) policy against certain word usage, etc, things of that nature. The nature of certain forums is a whole different story.:p

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Wanting a degree of decency isn't 'kid gloves'.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I think (even with the edge some forums have) that the degree of decency we have & expect can continue, even if some current banned words were to be granted TOS-friendly status. Doesn't matter, though, because that won't be happening either.

25. Malcolm Reynolds

Sep 2, 2013
    the chances of that happening darth are the chances of the dodgers winning the series this year :p