main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So about the boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Why are they always breaking, and when is that going to be fixed?

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I was going to reply in agreement, but then the boards broke again so I couldn't.

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I couldn't even get a page to load for about 15 minutes or so. Now, it seems to be at least a little better.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I had that prob several times Sunday and a bit in the late afternoon until just a few minutes ago.

I've asked the authors I beta for to use my private e-mail it's so sporadic. :p

I participate in several games with time limits so that's also [face_frustrated]

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Wow, once again, it's taking awhile to load... [face_whistling]

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    We should move.

Amazing.

7. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Right? It seems to me that at least once a day the boards fail. Conveniently enough, this happens exactly when I have an insanely clever idea for a thread. When the boards are working I never have any good ideas, and by the time they are working again after the stalls, my ideas have lost their luster.

Instead of making jokes, is there anyone here who can explain why this is happening so often?..the board fail thing, of course, not my lame thread ideas.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Perhaps it has something to do with La Niña.

9. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    It's happening so often because IGN can no longer afford to host us and is no longer giving us any support. Which is also why we're trying to move.

Which will be any day now ... [face_frustrated]

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I couldn't get the boards to load for three hours straight.

For a while I thought the move was taking place...

11. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Feels like 2006 all over again.

12. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Same here, didn't load for 3 hours straight, same thing happened on Sunday. I've been having these problems every day, although not as bad as Sunday or today. At average it takes like 30 minutes to an hour.

Still no definitive date for the move?

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [face_laugh]

See, you guys didn't follow the instructions at the top of the page.

If you have problems posting or staying logged in, please try clearing your browser's cookies and cache/temp files before posting your problem.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    There are numerous technical reasons why this could be happening. The most likely culprits are that either the same server that our board database runs off also runs another database upon which they are running an intensive query which is taking all the resources, although it would have to be a rather large query. The other most likely is one we have had in the past in that the IIS servers are out of synch, or even they have scaled back from the 4 we did have back to a single one which would pipeline everything and shows errors similar to what we are seeing, but again it's not something that I think they would do. No matter which way, it's a problem that will require specific technical resources to be provided from IGN to even diagnose the problem (unless it is also effecting the IGN Boards) which we are not going to be able to get.

15. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://www.badmovies.org/radio/20080313/flashgordon2r.jpg]

Really, Aura... how many times must I explain this **** to you?

16. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    This is the first time I've been able to get the boards to load since about midday today (Eastern Standard Time). For awhile I thought the move had started as well.

17. Mortimer_Snerd

Mar 14, 2004
    [face_laugh]

For the record, I avoid comms like the plague.

18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    What Dingo said. I will notify IGN again of what's happening, but I don't expect them to do anything.

19. Mortimer_Snerd

Mar 14, 2004
    What a surprise...They're not working again..

Thank you Grimby for your noble but surely innefective action.

20. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    Is the only reason that we haven't moved yet to preserve threads, PMs, and registration dates?

I've been trying to ask this question for over an hour now.......

21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Happy April fools via 2010!!!!!

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Are the IGN servers that host TF.N located at Charlie Sheen's house?

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The reason that we haven't moved is that the board database has to be converted from the IGN format to the VBulletin one. VBulletin has some conversion scripts for common board databases but the IGN format isn't one of them. If we don't convert the database we lose everything - user ids, threads, PMs, posts, etc.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    :eek: So the move could still be a little ways off. Like others above, I started wondering if the move was happening when I couldn't get in. Which made me wonder: when everything is ready, will there be a note/banner telling us ahead of time when the move will be? Something like "the move will start on Sunday at 8PM eastern, and the boards will be unavailable for 24 hours"? Just curious.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When the time comes Philip Wise or his consultant will have to arrange for IGN to export the database for the live conversion. I'm sure he'll give Grimby the heads-up well before then. Anything new here (posts, PMs, users) after the export will not be carried over to the new boards. When we know, you'll know. I'm sure Grimby will update the announcement that appears in the box up top when the time comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.