main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So about the boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Not trying to stir things up, but whats the contingency plan is the boards become too unstable before the official move? I know they past few days have been rough for me to view anything let alone post. If the worst happens, we will at least be able to retain our usernames if we have to move early? Thanks!

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I imagine that would be the same as if they pulled the plug.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is silly... is it possible to do the final export, make it into a read only thing, and start over at the new place? That way, "history" isn't lost, and we don't have to deal with crap boards that no longer function.

The new place is functional, minus the massive data nightmare from this place, isn't it? Is what somebody said in 2002 really all that important? :p

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, I just hit 10k today, so I like my posts from 2002, thank you very much. :p

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So on a scale from one to ten, of all time most important things in your life - ten being your first born child - or graduating from college, getting married, losing le virginity, etc... important life events - and one being a piece of chewing gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe... where does what you posted on a Star Wars message board, in 2002, rank?

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The problem is that we can't easily separate out the data we'd require at the basic level (user data and forum structure data) from purely the post/thread data. So it's therefore one of the following choices:

a) Wait for the process of extracting everything to be completed;
    b) Over-complicate the process and just extract user and forum structure data; or
    c) Scrap everything and start fresh.

Now, option b is likely to take as much time as option a given that the mapping has to be done the same for both, and it's then just the actual conversion of the data that differentiates them on time. And option c is a non-consideration given that here people are likely to go about and register names of other users for a raft of reasons. We saw this way back when SW.com first opened their boards, and there's no way we should waste our time trying to sort out who is the person that people have been conversing with for years, and which is someone being a ****.

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Pretty much what he said. It's going to take about the same amount of time and resources to move just the usernames over as it will everything else. And as we're currently not in a position to do anything yet, things will have to stay as they are for the time being.

At the moment, Philip has 2 people working on the database conversion, so hopefully we'll have some good news to share soon.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... are they being paid hourly?

9. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    They're making about as much as I am. But without all the perks.

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Nothing to worry about there, then! They are being highly compensated!

11. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    I haven't been able to access the boards for 4 years. Explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.