main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, ahem, why again are EP 2 Lightsabers bad?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kapil-Y, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKraykan

DarthKraykan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    I've always favoured the ESB lightsabers, but in terms of current methods, and effectsm TPM sits happy with me.

[image=http://www.giagdv.co.uk/portfolio/lukevader2.jpg]

The episode 2 sabers were OK, but I can see why purists were disapointed.

From a Media effects artists point of view, they broke the golden rule - consistency.

2. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Seriously, I was not distracted by the Ep2 sabers when I watched the film, I thought that Mace's purple looked more like a pink to me, but that was all that caught my attention until Wieber posted his comparison all those months ago...

3. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    If you watch the Maul,Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fight from Episode 1...you'll notice sabers arent too consistant.

Just watch Darth Maul's lightsaber as each angle changes. You'll notice his turns bright, to dark, to really orange.

It's not too bad. It's probably where different animators were given different shots(probably for the backgrounds) and thus the sabers were done seperately shot to shot.

Still like TPM sabers the best though.

4. iandud3

iandud3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    "Trying to pull a "if you're a true artist, you'll agree" is an argument so poor it's insulting. Why can you not admit that perhaps the technology was incorrectly applied and the effect is poor because it LOOKS like an effect?"

agian, how would YOU know. ep2 was the fist time I every heard the term 'neon lightsaber' instead of just 'lightsaber'. and i never said "if you're a true artist, you'll agree", i said if your here for the right reasons, you wont flame me for saying what i believe. thats happend to me on another forum before. actually got banned (unofficaly) because my politics WERENT agianst bush. and lucas DID direct, remember that.

"In case you hadn't noticed, Star Wars is actually filmed here on this planet, with real cameras in the real world.

LOL

Yeah, with real world blue/green screen sound stages :p "

lol!^

"Bah! Show me the monnneeeyyyy!!! Just kidding. I'd never follow a career path that would lead me to hordes of money. I'm in it for the babes. >:) "

lol, if you can get 'em, go for it ;)

"We are the world, we are the children, we are the ones who make a brighter day, so lets start givingggggg. My heart bleeds. Tito, would you like a tissue? hehehe Sorry, I couldn't resist that one."

lol, hey, im a loser, i know ;)

yeah, joe, i'd have to agree with ya on that.

change is what happens when time passes too. notice, my first argument was, as ryan said, "because we do not currently have the scientific basis to build Star Wars technology, it's therefore impossible and trying to emulate what it would look like on film would be "unrealistic". " and now my second argument says "its not yours, its his, he can make them how he wants". i still firmly believe in both.

EDIT: oh, btw, you ask why is GL an acception? well, it was said earlier by you that "And there's no sound in space either. These things are done to make the experience more natural to the audience. If a blaster bolt shot so fast the audience couldn't see it, that might be realistic, but what it would look like is that there was no shot fired at all."

no offense to you, or that this has anything to do with my argument, but you brought it up : just like the normal person hasnt ever experienced a vaccum, most have nover done special effects, or even look at them as good or bad. ffor most people, theyre just there.

5. Chy_Storm

Chy_Storm Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    okay...just to be REALLY anal...did anyone else notice that Maul's saber passed right through a wall in the hallway where the shields were opening and closing and had no effect on the wall?.....no sparks, no burn, no cut...just disappeared into the wall, and emerged on the other side...

just pointing out that Lucas and ILM are indeed fallible as are we all.

Still think the EII sabers blow...just pointing out that things get overlooked when you have nearly 3,000 FX shots in a film that could have gotten by with about a thousand. I mean, has anyone counted up the FX shots in ESM...probably a few hundred at most...and still the best SW movie.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the new technology...but I think it should only be used when there is NO OTHER WAY to shoot it. Wasn't it Lucas that said, " A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing..." maybe young Lucas should whack old Lucas over the head and say..."A movie WITHOUT a GOOD story will suck-ass no matter how many cool effects you put in it!!!"

BTW, George...thanks for pushing the envelope and developing all this cool technology at the expense of 2, possibly 3, bad prequels...(I've always maintained Lucas is a visionary in the arena of special FX...just not a very heads-up writer/director)

The ends justify the means, I always say...

6. spoil_me_w-ep3

spoil_me_w-ep3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2003
    ^
    and all the people said "amen"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.