PT So, any 2D release?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by El Kabong, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    I cant stand 3D. It sucks, I cant stand it. It wasn't so bad in the 80's with the red/blue glasses, but the modern process gives me a migraine something fierce. But I wouldn't mind seeing Phantom Menace again on the big screen. It's been a couple of years now since I put the flick on and all.

So - does anyone know if it's getting a proper, not sucky release? Or is it 3D only?
  2. StarWarrior92 Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes, it's being released in 2D as well.
  3. EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost

star 5
    In the TV ads I've seen for TPM they state that it's being released in 3D and in select 2D theaters or something similar.
  4. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    I want to take my 3 1/2 year old and I dont' think he'll handle the glasses for 2 hours. But I cant find any 2D releases in the DC area. Any ideas on where to look for where its playing in 2D?
  5. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    Called Lucasfilm PR and they said No 2D at all. Which is weird since all the commercials say there is.
  6. StarWarrior92 Jedi Master

star 2
    Really? :confused: That's odd.
  7. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    I know. Im not sure she knew what she was talking about. But I haven't found any 2D showings in the DC area yet. So I don't know.
  8. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    There's a local theater near me showing it in 2d, I called and asked them after seeing it pop up on their site. Kind of excited regardless.
  9. adamclark83 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I can't stand 3D either. Ever since "Avatar", it seems everything is being made 3D. Why??
  10. princethomas Force Ghost

star 2
    I have called most of the theaters around the greater DC area and no one seems to be playing it in 2D. I really want to take my son, who is just 3 1/2. But he's just barely to the point where he can sit through a whole movie. Don't know if he can handle the glasses for 2+ hours
  11. danmcken Force Ghost

star 3
    The cinema has always been one of my many migraine triggers anyway but Sumatriptan has been a godsend.If you suffer from migraine and arnt just a 3D basher you should give it a try, its not the cheapest treatment but it works. It has honestly changed my life.
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I think it's playing in 2D here, and if so, I'll be seeing it in 2D. I don't think my 4 year old will deal with the glasses for 2 hours, and my 6 year old will deal but complain about them later. And while I don't hate 3D, I'm not overly impressed with it either.
  13. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    Well, the headache and eyestrain is just one aspect of why I hate 3D. The other is that it makes movies look like ass! Its too dark, too muddied - here, Roger Ebert sums up better than I ever could. And of course there's the increased ticket price. On top of the already ridiculous cost of going out ($9.50 for JUST the matinee), the theater now tack on an extra three bucks for some plastic glasses with grey lenses. You cant even bring them with you the next time and save the costs!

And then there's the bigger problem of 3D being forced onto filmmakers by the studio. Here's a snippet from a interview with James Cameron from a couple of years ago:

So yeah, while the feeling of my head in a vice for the rest of the day is the prime factor, it's hardly the ONLY factor why I wont touch 3D with a 10 meter cattle prod. Sadly, it looks like 2D Phantom Menace is only getting played in one theater in the area, and it's some 35-ish miles away. So no Star Wars for me!
  14. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    If it is any consolation, aside from the fact that it is a bigger screen, watching it in a 2-D version isn't very different from what you get with the blu-ray edition - unless you count the fact that it's got a different "Lucasfilm" logo and slightly different final credits (only in the long crawl at the end).
  15. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    True enough, I guess - it's not like it was in the seventies where the occasional re-release of Star Wars was the only way to see the movie (aside from constantly playing my viewmaster coupled with my Story of Star Wars record). Still, regardless of how awesome my home theater setup is, I always enjoy seeing Star Wars on a massive screen in a dark room with a hundred strangers. It brings a special kind of magic to the proceedings, I guess.
  16. KennethMorgan Jedi Master

star 2
    For those in central NJ, the Clearview cinema in Summit is running the 2-D version. Apparently, they run the 2-D for the first showing of the day and the 3-D for subsequent showings.

It was a bit of a drive for me, but I get headaches at the drop of a hat, so I went for the 2-D. And, seeing as how I still got goosebumps when those hangar doors opened on Naboo, the lack of 3-D wasn't a problem.
  17. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2
    From Box Office Guru:
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace had to settle for fourth place, though it still tallied a solid $23 million. That's right in between The Lion King ($30.2 million) and Beauty and the Beast ($17.8 million) among recent 3D re-releases. The movie did sell fewer tickets than any of the 1997 Star Wars re-releases, though that was to be expected given its middling reputation and wide home viewing availability. The audience was 60 percent male and 51 percent were 25 years of age and older, and 99 percent of ticket sales were for 3D presentations.
    Thanks to the re-release, The Phantom Menace moved up from seventh to fifth place on the all-time chart with a $454.1 million total. By next weekend, it should move past the original Star Wars's $461 million to take fourth place and first among all Star Wars movies.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3369&p=.htm

18. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Pretty amazing, for a 13-year-old movie that just came out on blu-ray late last year. =D=

It goes without saying that it's a cinch for these type of movies to recoup the investment the stereo conversion involves.

Now, if they could just take those figures from the all-time chart and adjust them for inflation, for heavens' sake! :oops:
  19. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2

I don't know about that. Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and now TPM have opened well among re-releases going to 3D, but then the Toy Story / Toy Story 2 double feature only managed 12M opening weend and 32M world wide (though the release was not quite as wide)

I guess my point is that its a bit too early to tell. Star Wars is a big event, as is Lion King. But we simply do not have enough re-released movies in 3D to know for sure if this is a phenomenon that is at its peak or still growing. Titanic, with its different demographic, should be a good test.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.