main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series So, any new parents going to be particularly cruel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Alixen, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    ...Or: TPM, AOTC and TCW before the rest of the films?

It only recently occurred to me that for anyone who sees TCW before ROTS and the OT, it could be a real punch to the gut. It's got pretty dark undertones (and tones in general) in general, but it really makes the watcher get attached to the various Jedi heroes, Anakin and Obi-Wan as brothers and best friends, gives the Clones personality (and a few even looking forwards to the end of the war/showing pride in fighting for the Republic), and gets the watcher involved in the struggle. It does even feel somewhat hopeful, which is an achievement in of itself.

...and then in ROTS the bad guys win, everything burns to ashes, with only a spark of hope for the distant future (Luke) remaining.

Now, we older fans got to follow it in such a way we knew what was going to happen going into the show, with an emotional buffer zone so to speak. Even then, it makes the events of RotS much darker than they seemed when I first watched the film in the cinema.

But new fans and the kids who are just getting old enough to be interested... they have no idea. I actually wouldn't mind a Game of Thrones style reaction video to a TCW fan seeing RotS for the first time.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really think your assertions depend very much on the individual. I don't like TCW hardly at all and think it didn't do any of what you said. I am amazed it made me like Tarkin and Dooku more. That is a respectable feat. Yet, not everyone likes overly gritty and dark violent material. Order of exposure can definitely potentially impact perception, sure but it's not always for the better.

3. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Of course, but in that same way, there will be others more affected and i'm curious.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I showed mine the OT first.

I did once read a dad-blog about a kid who saw the movies in 1-6 order and had a hard time sleeping after Anakin turned and after "that nice old man who is Anakin's friend" turned out to be the villain.

Grievousdude and Darth Valkyrus like this.
  5. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    It was a bit mixed here as the then age-appropriate SW movies (IV and I) were shown on TV in the wrong chronological order when sonny was allowed to watch them for the first time. Afterwards, he twisted my arm until he was allowed to watch TCW, CW and all the other movies on DVD in the order he demanded to see them, except III- my kid is pretty sensitive when it comes to violence so I told him he could watch it when he was older (he did about a month later at a friend's place :p ). But I told him what happened.
    It's still interesting how some of his classmates who saw it all in chronological order adore Anakin, and they never call stormtroopers stormtroopers (for them, they're 'those evil clones'). Carl takes great care in positioning his TCW pillow so Obi-Wan is up because he doesn't like Anakin (who's on the other side) for becoming Vader. But I have no idea if this was caused by the 'order' in which he saw the movies and series or just because he's a mild-mannered, peaceful kid who happens to hate villains.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My oldest loved ROTS. He's not all that sensitive to media violence though, so I'm not sure the order in which he saw the movies has anything to do with it.

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    When I have children, I plan on having them watch TCW first. Or Rebels. Then having them watch the films in chronological order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm pretty sure making kids watch the PT before the OT counts as some form of Cruel and Unusual punishment.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, I bet it must have taken you ages of effort to come up with that one.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm starting to get sold on this order:

A New Hope > Empire Strikes Back > The Phantom Menace > Attack of the Clones > Clone Wars > The Clone Wars > Revenge of the Sith > Return of the Jedi

Or hopefully one day:

A New Hope > Empire Strikes Back > Attack of the Clones (end)/Clone Wars fan-edit > The Clone Wars fan-edit film trilogy > Revenge of the Sith fan-edit > Return of the Jedi

Though I'm not sure that's entirely on-topic. :p Not sure if age matters that much.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If I ever have kids I am tempted to show it to them like this lol

Sent from my R2 unit

12. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I would show them the 2003 Clone Wars before ROTS, but that's about it...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I would show my kids TCW and tell them that the micro-series doesn't exist

14. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I refused to show my son them in chronological order. I believe no fan should watch it like that for the first time. Of course, he didn't care, knowing I was a huge fan and we binge watched them together. Haha Good times.

15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    As someone who doesn't have kids, and doesn't expect to for a pretty long time, I will also have to consider where the ST will fall into things.

But some of the comments in this thread have definitely pushed me towards OT before PT. If the ST is really good then the might go IV, V, PT, VI, ST. This way VI can both end the Anakin saga and set up the newer films.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If I want to be really cruel, I'd show The Holiday Special before anything else. Over an hour of unsubtitled Wookiee dialogue. Ouch.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My children have yet to see The Holiday Special. [face_whistling]

18. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    I'm not a parent (yet) but I would do it chronological order except OT first and then we get to learn from PT on about the characters. Every time I watch ROTS I always go in thinking that Anakin won't turn to the dark side. It also helps build some attachment to those characters through it all.

19. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    So wait, you wouldn't do it in chronological order then?