main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So AOTC ONLY Made 300 Mil This Past Summer, While Spider-Man Made 400 Mil....

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by hansoloschinscar, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansoloschinscar

hansoloschinscar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2001
    ...and already, the bashers and media are already deeming AOTC a "failure".

I know I shouldn't ask, but does anyone really give a crap about this bit of news?

2. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    everything you read it also has to throw some negative things about AOTC. IT is the 5th movie and it did $300m!!! How is that a failure!?!? not in my eyes. SM a smash because it was the first SM movie in 40 years of being on pages. Course it is going to be big. The EW articale about the summer movies is a joke! Scooby-doo is a hit @ $150m while AOTC is not @ $300m. Please!!! $300m is a hit!!!

3. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    nuff said!

4. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    I don't know about you guys, but I have only read ONE article that called AOTC a "failure". Besides that, all the others were calling it a "huge summer blockbuster" and never said anything negative about it.

5. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Don't be concerned with the nay-sayers....it doesn't matter what AOTC will finally make....it was a great flick to me....that's what counts.....if you enjoyed it, not if some stuff-shirted critic liked it or not. Just as Christopher Lee stated, critics are, basically, worthless.

6. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
  7. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    If the 5th spiderman makes 300m, I will personally eat on dog mess hill.

8. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Darth_Jeremy
    Your right. I have only read this from Entertanment Weekly. A mag I loved to get each week. Now I wonder if I should continue the subsciption. Well, I should not let some stupid critics ruin my enjoyment of the moive and the mag. Still have good articles though. Besides thier crtiqueing section. Also, AOTC has won 6 internet awards including Best Picture. And on the Cinescape website it had a 57% vote on the fav movie of the summer.

9. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    You can TFN members for that. ;)

10. Yoda_is_a_choda

Yoda_is_a_choda Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2002
    LUH i doubt a 5th Spider-Man will ever be made unlike some people *cough*George Lucas*cough* i think Marvel will know to quit while there ahead and not produce unnessacary trash like the prequel trilogy that leaves a permamanent scar on once great thing.Spider-Man wont go past number 3 and i doubt the 3rd will make more than 300 million.

11. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    I don't know. The question is: does George Lucas regard $300m a failure?

12. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    oh come on Yoda is Choda, there are some good ideas in the PT, and you show me any good sci fi fantasy that comes even close to the quality of the PT, FX, cool ideas, sounds, story. - EDITED NAME CALLING

13. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
    How much did it cost to make? How much profit did George Lucas make?

14. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
  15. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    The only thing that was a failure in my eyes was the marketing of Clones. There wasn't enough t.v. ads. That and the critic bashing hurt Clones make another 50 million.

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002

As long as it earns enough to make another movie, Lucas considers it a success.

And regarding critics, Lucas said, "I gave up reading reviews a long time ago. It's become a medium that is more like gossip." He hit the nail right on the head.

17. yodaschum

May 9, 2002
    "As long as it earns enough to make another movie, Lucas considers it a success."

Well i guess he will be able to scrape together enough money to make Episode III but at this rate I bet he is glad that that is the final one.

18. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    The PT did not hurt the OT As a whole the saga will be great!

19. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Who cares, I enjoyed AOTC. Plus SM was lame in my eyes, what was up with the Power Ranger type Goblin?

20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    ..and already, the bashers and media are already deeming AOTC a "failure".

Isn't this somewhat hyperbole? I haven't seen the media deem AotCs a failure. Indeed it's hard to deem any movie that makes 300 million a failure.

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Well i guess he will be able to scrape together enough money to make Episode III but at this rate I bet he is glad that that is the final one.

Actually, he is, but not because he's concerned about the reduced earning power of Star Wars, he's just ready to do something else.

In an April 29th Time magazine article, Lucas said that after Star Wars he has some ideas that probably won't be commercially viable but that he'd like to make anyway just because he'd like to see them get made. Honestly, while I love Star Wars, I can't wait to see what else Lucas has up that brilliantly creative mind of his, especially when commercial success isn't his primary concern!

22. The_Shadow_SITH

The_Shadow_SITH Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    I don't care what the media says. I loved AOTC and that's all that matters.

23. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001

I think GL said around 250m was not really a failure point but perhaps had to rethink things for EpIII, but EpII made a cool 300mil so alls well.

EW is probably the only ones saying AotC was a failure boxoffice wise, of course there comparing it to TPM take at the BO of 430 mil. Though EW has been saying TPM was an utter failure for years kind of ignoring the 430 mil it made. Now there paying attention all of a sudden to AotC total, go figure.

Still sequels have a hard time following up, TTT, Harry Potter 2, Spider-Man 2 will all more or likely do less than the first.

24. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    "...and already, the bashers and media are already deeming AOTC a "failure". "

Hasn't it been deemed a failure for quite a while now?

25. darth_obawan

darth_obawan Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! SPIDERMAN BEAT STAR WARS??? (i really didn't know that) STUPID SPIDERMAN!!!!! WHEN THE NEXT STAR WARS MOVIE COMES OUT, EVERY STAR WARS FAN ON EARTH MUST GO SEE IT AT LEAST NINE TIMES! THAT SHOULD MAKE AT LEAST...a lotta money

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.