main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So apparently questioning what's against the TOS is itself against the TOS.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by deltron_zero, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Quite the convenient little catch-22 the mods have working for them, no?

Anyway...

DLE Edit: This thread crosses the line. If you have a problem with a thread being locked, or the TOS, either take it up with that mod, or in Communications.

Yeah, so here I am.

Do I have a problem? Why, yes I do. Thanks for asking.

I have a problem with this thread being locked, and this one, and this one, etc. I also have a problem when friends of mine are banned for "spamming" simply because a moderator doesn't understand their sense of humor.

Look here's the thing, I come to this place to have fun, and that's it. I'm here to talk about Star Wars and to joke around with my friends. I have never knowingly violated the TOS, yet the moderators of the JCC seem to have come to the conclusion that the way in which my friends and I choose to have fun on this messageboard is itself somehow a violation of the terms of service. So what I want to know is how and why.

I understand that there is a lot of "grey area" here, and that a lot of moderating is "subjective". But what I would like to do is eliminate at least some of that grey area, and take at least some of that subjectivity out of moderating, so that my friends and I can actually know what it is we can and can't do, thus hopefully avoiding any future embarrassing bannings or thread lockings.

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    My Posse's All Up in this Mutha

The Mutha aspect of that is a grey area.

Other than that, I have stuff i need to bring up.

¤Night

3. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    ~editted~

4. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Yes, well, nipple clamping, nipple milking, and rooster (cocks) seem to be taken over the top eventually by a lot of people. That's not family friendly anymore.

5. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    But nipple milking in a thread started buy a GUY is just ridiculous, and that's the point. It's hardly offensive.

Amazing.

6. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Nipple milking isn't offensive. It's rather funny. I'd have no problem with it if people didn't take it too far and start referring to other things in relation to it.

7. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    So the movie Meet The Parents should be completely banned from the JC.

Any threads about it should be locked. Any member who references it should be edited and possibly banned.

Also, anyone who calls someone such names as a "sly dog" should be banned, because in some countries that don't speak English, some people might be silly and think "sly dog" means something that I definetly can't post here.

People are different. If we're going to allow 623.3938 goodbye threads, which we are told to "SKIP OVER" if we don't like them, and other "CRAP" threads which we are told to "SKIP OVER" if we don't like them, why can't some of us have a "F*N" (Censored, since that word isn't allowed) thread that we find enjoyable, if people find these other threads enjoyable? Eh?

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Nipple milking isn't offensive. It's rather funny. I'd have no problem with it if people didn't take it too far and start referring to other things in relation to it.

I'm not overly familiar with this situation (yet, at least), but I'd say that's right. Part of the problem is that people have a way of going too far with things, implying all kinds of things that are against the TOS and aren't appropriate here.

9. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Were there references to "cocks", or "clamping" in any of the three threads I linked? Sorry, I must have missed those. However, even if there were, those could have easily been edited without the whole thread being locked.

I'd have no problem with it if people didn't take it too far and start referring to other things in relation to it.

Such as?

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Just a quick note:

None of the JCC moderators are currently online, so no answers are going to be forthcoming from them right at the moment.

11. Abner_Doon

Jul 23, 2001
    I have to defend the mods right to close that thread last night, from obhave 'sucking off fags' to Porkins discussing sex with Panda bears, to Monterosa eating pussy...it was all in pretty poor taste, however fun it was.
    I still maintain the true boundary should be simple, if its something you'd have to minimize if your parents walked in the room, it shouldn't be on the JC. Yoda humping a cow and Beru as a topless dancer cross those lines.
    I readily admit I posted in the thread, I had fun and thought it was an amazing thread, but face it, it *deserved* to be locked up. In fact, several of the people in there probably deserved 24 hour spanks. (Which brings us to the topic of 336 hour spanks that some mods seem to use at their discretion *rolls eyes*).

In fact, only one real point was made in that thread;
    moderating like posting does require a bit of good judgement.

12. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    None of the JCC moderators are currently online, so no answers are going to be forthcoming from them right at the moment.

Oh, right, and we don't need another JCC mod, when none of them are online at 1:00 on a Saturday afternoon, one of the busiest times for the JC. [face_if_zerosleep_would_code_it_this_face_would_be_rolling_its_eyes]

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Actually, Saturdays tend to be one of the slower times for the JC.

Edit: And not everyone is on Eastern Time.

14. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "Part of the problem is that people have a way of going too far with things, implying all kinds of things that are against the TOS and aren't appropriate here."

So warn and/or ban those people. Don't lock the entire thread as the first course of action.

Amazing.

15. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Abner, notice I haven't really taken issue with that thread being locked, aside from the rather fecescious title of this one. What I would take issue with is the fact that I was bringing up a point that I thought could be discussed with the moderators, and for over 100 posts no JCC mods showed up, and when one did rather than address the issue at all he simply locked the thread.

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    A good way of doing things. But, when the thread itself is seeing people continuously go over the line, I'd say it's time to lock the thread.

17. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    "Part of the problem is that people have a way of going too far with things, implying all kinds of things that are against the TOS and aren't appropriate here."

So warn and/or ban those people. Don't lock the entire thread as the first course of action.

No if a thread is not appropriate then it should be locked. Being able to post things that are in appropriate on a public forum does not make for a good forum. Starting a thread knowing that it is against the TOS is not good for a forum. The thread should be locked.

As for the posters that's up to the mods.

I know there are people who have been here longer then me. But for those who do not read The Terms of Service here's just part of it.

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, OBSCENE, PROFANE, SEXUALLY ORIENTED, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense. Also, as a general guideline, all users here should respect one another's opinions and beliefs. User also agrees not to post spoilers regarding the upcoming Star Wars prequel in any forum outside of those specifically labelled as allowing spoilers (this includes posting spoilers of any type in your profile and signature). This applies to private messages as well.

18. Abner_Doon

Jul 23, 2001
    "and for over 100 posts no JCC mods showed up, and when one did rather than address the issue at all he simply locked the thread."

Vertical, Griffz (Both technically retired, but I think they're still legit to tell you to shut up, or answer your questions) and YodaJeff were all there before we reached 100 posts, and rather than use their influence, or power, to close the thread, demand it stay on topic, or start editting out pictures of boobies and ballsacks, they played along...they were *normal users*, isn't that what you *want*?

And by the time YodaJeff showed up (before 100 posts mind you), we were discussing grafting Tyson's face with testicles, smoknig fags and how this thread got on PiaS's tits...what issue were they supposed to address? ?[face_plain] It was never a serious thread with the intent of finding answers, it was a cross between "Calis' Pool Party" and "Show us your rack".

[face_plain]

19. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Abner, sure you're right. I never said otherwise. The thread was fun, and that was it's primary intent. And I was delighted that a few of our fellow posters who have ties to the administration also took part.

But notice, what was inappropriate was never addressed by anyone. Only the statement that somewhere along the way we "crossed the line". So the point of the thread, "discovering the boundaries of the TOS" was never actually accomplished. The boundaries remain just as masked by the so-called grey area as they were before.

And so, here we are.

20. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "But, when the thread itself is seeing people continuously go over the line, I'd say it's time to lock the thread."

But as has been pointed out, no mods ever showed up to say anyone was crossing the line.

"No if a thread is not appropriate then it should be locked. Being able to post things that are in appropriate on a public forum does not make for a good forum. Starting a thread knowing that it is against the TOS is not good for a forum. The thread should be locked."

But none of those threads were started because they were knowingly against the TOS. And it's the posts within the thread that I'm talking about. Obviosuly inappropriate threads should be locked, but the three listed be deltron do not fit that label.

Amazing.

21. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    All this talk about nipple milking has me feeling frisky.

22. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Alright, who let dush out of his cage?

Stay on topic plz. Thx.

(Stay on topic = die)

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Talking about the pair of melon-shaped targets with nipples on them growing from PiaS' forhead is acceptable.

But, cat juggling is over the line. Waaaay, over the line...
      Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Stop! Stop! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Good. Father, could there be a god that would let this happen?

24. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I have to defend the mods right to close that thread last night, from obhave 'sucking off fags' to Porkins discussing sex with Panda bears, to Monterosa eating pussy...it was all in pretty poor taste, however fun it was.

Now THAT was the single most hilarious quote I have ever witnessed.

25. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I demand that Ghengis be removed as a moderator immediately. I shall not have my rights to cat juggling infringed by the likes of him :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.