main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So apparently questioning what's against the TOS is itself against the TOS.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by deltron_zero, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I have noticed that there does "appear" to be a predilection by certain mods to lock any thread started by, or contains a great many posts by users such as Darth Ignant, Darth Olsen Twins, Porkins in a Speedo, Dushoni, QuiGonJim23, 1stAD Obhavekenobi, xie, Spike Spiegal
    and the rest of that "twisted" crew. Whether this is vindictive on the part of the mods, or is part of some "unspoken" JC policy regarding these users ( Funny, most of them are or were members of a rather unpopular offshoot site that regularly engages in exressing their thoughts in regards to this place, both here and there ) remains to be seen, but it does appear that certain YJCC mods follow these posters around, ban button at the ready. If everyone could take a few minutes to actually read what these guys and the others who post are actually doing, you'll note it's about CAMARADERIE and REAL FRIENDSHIP. THey're no different then a bunch of friends sitting around on a Saturday, watching the game, or just hanging out. The point is they choose to do it here, the site where they all originally met. The fact remains that while there may be a post or two that possiblyt "crosses the line", the YJCC, or the rest of this site is not some grade-school playground, and the Mods do not need to be acting as a babysitter. A simple PM to the user who posted something in questionable taste would result in an edit, and the fun could continue, but what has happened is that, with each of these locks they've created a feeling of mistrust, and frustration, not to mention disillusionment with this site. While you or I may not understand or even approve of their humor, is there really anything THAT earth-shatterring in those threads? I've seen worse on TV during primetime. If people could all just lighten up a bit, you might find that it does a lot to reduce the charges of "drama" and "conspiracy" and "power-hungry mods". Or is the somewhat jokinly but nevertheless prevalent feeling here these days, that fun is not allowed on the JC, to become the new TOS byline?

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    People can have all the fun they want as long as it's within the boundaries of what's appropriate here. There's no hidden agenda here or anything of the sort.

If it's appropriate, it can stay. If not, it can't.

3. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    I can understand why the Mutha thread was locked, but that's mainly due to the picture on the last page, and the Mods don't seem to have seen it.

4. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    People can have all the fun they want as long as it's within the boundaries of what's appropriate here.

Well, I saw very little that I would not have seen or heard mentioned on the "Simpsons" or other TV shows deemed acceptable for all audiences, so if your concerns are "family-friendly" then nothing in most of those threads constituted a locking, or bannings.. Edits, maybe, but why punish many for the actions of one?

5. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    EP, no one cares about your off-shoot site. All I care about is what's going on here.

Those threads were posted to cross the line. A lot of what was posted in them was sexual innuendo, and double meanings. What was posted was not funny because of the "normal usage" meaning, but because of the "alternative usage" meaning. I believe that such usage, when saturated in one thread, is inappropriate for these forums.

6. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    It was hardly the actions of one, it was the actions of most of the posters in those threads.

7. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Those threads were posted to cross the line. A lot of what was posted in them was sexual innuendo, and double meanings. What was posted was not funny because of the "normal usage" meaning, but because of the "alternative usage" meaning. I believe that such usage, when saturated in one thread, is inappropriate for these forums.

I think you're only referring to the one thread that I posted yesterday, the locking of which I never took issue with. The only thing I took issue with in regards to that thread was that the question was never answered.

Now, care to show me the innuendo and double meanings saturating the three threads I did link?

8. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm sorry, I should have said the nipple thread, and the thread from last night.

The "posse" thread I didn't have a problem with. Except I just found a picture of a naked transvestite in it.

The thread where everyone was flaming each other is clearly against the TOS. You can't expect everyone to know who your friends are, and who you're actually flaming. It sets bad precedence when you allow some people to flame each other, but not others.

9. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    I'm sorry, I should have said the nipple thread, and the thread from last night.

I still don't think the nipple thread had anything clearly objectionable. It's a quote from a popular movie for chrissakes. People really need to lighten up if they find harmless humor of this sort offensive.

The "posse" thread I didn't have a problem with. Except I just found a picture of a naked transvestite in it.

One picture can be easily removed without locking the whole thread.

The thread where everyone was flaming each other is clearly against the TOS. You can't expect everyone to know who your friends are, and who you're actually flaming. It sets bad precedence when you allow some people to flame each other, but not others.

No certainly not everyone, but I can expect the moderators who are in charge of policing the forum to know who my friends are since we post there everyday. The rest of the posters will catch on to our schtick eventually. This type of thread has been common as long as I've been a member here, and they're actually quite fun. When was the decision made to disallow them?

Anyway, I'm glad that we seem to actually be making a little progress here.

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

A lot of that stuff was crossing the 'family-friendly' line, but a good warning could have set it back on track.

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "You can't expect everyone to know who your friends are, and who you're actually flaming."

But shouldn't it be reasonable to expect the mods of a forum to know its users? And from that, shouldn't it be reasonable to expect the mods to know which users are friends with other users? Mods are supposed to read as many threads as possible, as I understand it. In doing so, it should become readily apparent which users are friends and which aren't.

Amazing.

12. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    Well, I don't know why the "posse" thread was locked. Like I said I just found that picture. It was there because someone was remote linking to a site that doesn't allow it.

And about the flaming thread... You expect to have the whole community learn who your friends are? I don't see that happening. Like I said, I don't like those threads because they set bad examples to other members. Would you suggest that every set of friends here should get their own thread to flame their friends? Isn't this something that you could keep off-boards?

13. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

You expect to have the whole community learn who your friends are?

I would say that there have been enough of those threads by now that people should understand that when DUSHONI and Pias go at each other, it's not malicious.

Like I said, I don't like those threads because they set bad examples to other members. Would you suggest that every set of friends here should get their own thread to flame their friends? Isn't this something that you could keep off-boards?

That's a valid point. Although I don't see the harm in poking a little fun now and then.

14. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Erik, the "flames" you're refering to are completely PG and for the most part completely ridiculous. I think, from the rapport that my friends and I have with each other, it's obvious that we're joking. And I think the vast majority of the community is smart enough to figure that out.

15. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    I don't mind a little bit either, but it gets quite excessive when you have a whole thread dedicated to it.

16. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003

DO.
    NOT.
    LEECH.
    IMAGES.
    FROM.
    SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM

When you remote-link images from SomethingAwful.com there is a script on there server that changes the image to... something awful!

In the above example threads, someone remote linked/embedded a image from SA and the image was changed to a transvestite

Now Dark_Erik_Lord_Whatever editted one of the images but some are still there.

Party Hard.
    MrMarcus :cool:

17. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    And still the link to the transvestitie is there?

Am I the only one wondering at the oddity that demands locking the thread but not editing the offensive material?

18. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Both Monstera-Deliciosa and farraday make good points.

19. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm not sure if they were like that when the thread was locked. I just noticed the first one, and now the second one.

Just don't remote-link from there anymore.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    deltron...
    "And I think the vast majority of the community is smart enough to figure that out."

Funny, I would have said the same thing about knowing the limits to the Terms of Service. ;)

21. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Funny, I would have said the same thing about knowing the limits to the Terms of Service.

At one time I might have too. But apparently the moderators aren't too clear on it themselves.

22. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Deltron, the Modsquad is in the process of making instructional videos for all moderators on the ins and outs of all of the various rules, guidelines, terms of service, codes of conduct and the infinite number of esoteric forum-specific rules available across the Jedi Council.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find a team of dancing monkies able to ride unicycles yet to do it right.

Until then, I point people to the appropriate limitations on posting conduct/content, but everyone tells me to shut up. ;) :D

23. Dark_Lord_Erik

Jan 19, 2001
    I don't like the threads because they are against the TOS.

I don't mind the threads in general, if posted at another board. And I don't dislike the posters in the threads. It's just that this isn't the appropriate place for these types of threads and posts.

24. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    Erik, please. suggesting that the "DORT" thread was flaming? you're gonna have to do better than that.

EDIT: stop playing dumb.

25. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    Erik, if this is really the logic that you're going on, then you're really going to have to lock this thread as well. While it's obviously a joke, and everyone posting in the thread is clearly enjoying themselves it's still possible that someone could take these "flames" out of context and interpret them as serious anger, even hatred. Therefore, I suppose the thread is against the TOS as well.

While locking this thread will almost certainly piss off Adam and the rest of the people posting there, it's really the only fair thing to do, and hopefully it will also set Adam et al squarely on my side of this ridiculous argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.