main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So apparently questioning what's against the TOS is itself against the TOS.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by deltron_zero, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    mods often times make judgement calls based on what they personally think is inappropriate. but, often times what they should be doing is making judgement calls based on what any reasonable and objective person would think is inappropriate.

and please don't try and say that i'm implying that mods aren't reasonable people or capable of making reasonable assessments. it's a matter of removing their personal feelings and trying to be objective. but unfortunately, that rarely happens.

EDIT: oh god, let's not even get into that whole "spam" nonsense. around here "spam" is basically whatever a person wants it to be. and that is buncha bullfeces.

2. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    it's a matter of removing their personal feelings and trying to be objective.

Being completely objective is impossible. And how can you tell when someone is being objective or subjective? I think that's why some posters want a firmer TOS.

3. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    And how can you tell when someone is being objective or subjective?

If the issues are discussed before they're acted on I'd say that's a step toward objectivity.

4. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    yes, total objectivity is impossible. but there are times when there is absolutely no objectivity whatsoever. there are times when a mod will take action against something simply because of the person who did it. and MANY times, a mod will take action against something because of their personal feelings on it rather than what a reasonable and objective person would think. (again, that in no way implies that mods are incapable of being reasonable. but many times they are indeed incapable of being objective.)

5. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    If the issues are discussed before they're acted on I'd say that's a step toward objectivity.

True. But a mod shouldn't have to discuss with someone else everything they do before they do it, however. ;)

The only way to decrease subjectivity is to make what is and what is not permitted less vague. I'm sure that would be difficult to hammer out, though.

6. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    I'm really undecided about if the threads should have been locked or not locked. IMO I leaning towards agreeing with the mods on this one. There's funny and then there's assine posts. I'm more concerned about the discussion this thread has generated. I mean who cares. It got locked deal with it, PM the mod who locked it and move on. I don't see why there needs to be discussion about this in Comms, it's not that big of a deal. [face_plain]

7. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I mean who cares. It got locked deal with it, PM the mod who locked it and move on.

That's a pretty bad attitude to have. Obviously the concerns presented here are not solely about a couple threads; they're about a larger concern that the TOS allows mods to use their personal biases while moderating. I think it's a completely valid concern.

8. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    mods should be able to set aside their personal feelings on something/someone, but it's painfully obvious at times that some mods are incapable of that. and rather than everyone mindlessly defending such actions, people should be voicing their protest. afterall, comms isn't just here for people to agree with the administration on everything. and, unfortunately, people are sometimes unfairly labeled when they disagree with good reason. believe it or not, sometimes it's the mods who are wrong.

i challenge anyone to try and say that it's ethical for a mod to punish a person because of their personal feelings toward the person.

...because that is not being objective and fair.

9. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I had more I was going to add, but right now, it's been said for me..

Not only to I agree with Pias' long post, I owe that boy a big kiss...

and I'd like to state that I wish there were more mods who handle these types of situations like YodaJeff. Maybe if the Admins are considering a new mod to replace JMT in YJCC, they could consider Katya Jade, AmazingB or Darth Olsen Twins. All have an extensive knowledge not only of the YJCC, but of many of the users who frequent the forums, and in their work on the AC, have been highly visible, and readily accessible...

10. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

mods should be able to set aside their personal feelings on something/someone

In defense of the administration, that can be a very difficult thing to do sometimes. I certainly had trouble doing that, and I doubt I'm alone. I think the most import thing to do in a situation where your personal feelings may overtake your common sense is to get another mod to deal with it. Off the top of my head I can think of at least three situations where I should've done that; perhaps the same can be said for the person(s) you are referring to. But if that person is unable to do even that, and still are intent to pick on people, then that mod needs to take a break from things.

11. BKK

BKK Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2002
    I don't think it's a bad attitude. I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile subject to discuss, but why make a thread about it? The thread as a whole is implying that all mods are guilty of being to quick with the lock button when it comes to certain posters. I just think there wasn't enough here to warrant a thread about. Why not PM the mod who closed the thread instead of creating unnecessary drama? If it doesn't get resolved with the mod it question, then take it to comm., but to create a thread about it w/o discussing the situation with the mod in question is unwarranted IMO.

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Why not PM the mod who closed the thread instead of creating unnecessary drama? If it doesn't get resolved with the mod it question, then take it to comm., but to create a thread about it w/o discussing the situation with the mod in question is unwarranted IMO."

I think the mods who closed the various threads had been PM'd. The user still disagreed with the judgement and explanation given, and posted this thread in Comms to discuss it with more people, which is part of the reason Comms is here in the first place.

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I am a movie and Comms moderator so I looked at each of the three threads without any bias or knowledge ahead of time of their content. I totally agree 100% on locking each of them. Sounds to me, and please don't take offense, that you posted a thread you knew might be over the top and/or inappropriate, it was locked, you took it personal, and instead of going to that moderator, you brought it here.

Here are the issues with each of those threads. And it doesn't need to be so over-complicated. In fact, these were easy cases.

1) Thread one had no purpose and was another x versus y. It's spam.

2) The title itself was enough for me. The whole mutha thing, posse thread with no purpose was spam.

3) The title was fine if it was a thread discussing Meet the Parents. But it wasn't. It was a challenge to milk the author and the folks who posted took it way down a path that was inappropriate for the boards.

I agree with the decisions on each of those. I appreciate the author using specific threads as oftentimes in Comms there are no specifics and it makes answering very difficult.

So I would kindly ask you, as I would no matter which forums those threads were in, to take it up via PM with the mod who locked it. Try to work it out and come to an understanding. If you have tried this and both agree you cannot, then I ask you to take it up with another moderator from the same forum until you've exhausted all moderators.

If after that you don't feel like you have closure or a better understanding of why it was locked, then PM me or any other admin and we will be more than happy to continue discussing it with you. Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.