So are Indy and his dad immortal at the end of Last Crusade or not?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DarthHomer, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Indy and Henry are not immortal but having drank from the grail they both live extremely long lives. Indy's 90 something on Young Indy.
  2. redlegato Jedi Padawan

well to answer the portion about Elsa, she wasn't awfully concerned with the properties of the cup, but rather all the fame, glory, and money she'd get. "It's ours Indy, yours and mine!" this quote proves Henry Sr. is right, Elsa did only see the grail as a prize to be had. She was so obsessed with these thoughts that she ignored all the danger she was in to try to recover the grail that ironically, she herself had slid into earlier, knocking it onto that platform. Unfortunately, her hand couldn't quite reach it and she was foolishly wearing those slippery leather gloves on her hands, which slipped right off as indy held her. she paid the ultimate price for her greed and risktaking.
  3. DewbackRider88 Jedi Master

star 4
    In the film crosing the seal costs someone thier life and the grail.

What if you threw the grail out of the entrance of the chamber? You could all run out (like they did) and have the grail waiting for you outside.

Pretty simple, but rather effective
  4. jediDaria Jedi Padawan

No. Only the cup can't past the seal. Indy is immortal cause he drankfrom the grail. Jones Sr is not cause they used the water from the grail to cure the gun shot wound.
  5. JediScott Jedi Master

star 1
    Jones Sr. also drank from the cup.
  6. jefelee Jedi Padawan

You lose any immortality you gained by drinking from the grail once you pass the seal.

To remain immortal, you must stay in the chamber, 'such is the price of immortality'
    the knight tells them (or something very close to that).

Earlier in the film, there's mention of a former grail knight's tomb in Venice (I think),
    there's a line about him arriving in Europe and dying of 'extreme old age.' So obviously,
    the immortality doesn't carry on...
  7. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Never mind. Wrong thread.

8. LittleOrphanAni Jedi Knight

star 1
    They are not immortal. They crossed the seal. Crossing the seal is the price of 'immortality'. This is referring to the human element of drinking from the Grail. The Grail is an inanimate object that can neither be immortal nor mortal.
  9. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    From my pov crossing the seal nullifies full immortality, but you'll be stronger and have more vitality. Trying to cross the seal with the grail will destroy the site to prevent further foolishness from greedy mortals.
  10. Darth_Davi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats kinda what I think too...for example, they could set Indy IV in modern times, and use the Grail to explain why Indy only looks as old as Harrison Ford is...IE, that despite being over 110 years old, he still looks like he is in his 60s...Same reasoning would also apply to Henry Jones/Sean Connery. Immortal while inside the temple, age slower after crossing the seal.
  11. Knight-8311 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was always confused by that. The grail makes you immortal if you drink from it and it heals you but you cant pass the seal? I get it but thats just a little strange.
  12. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    I've always gotten the impression that drinking from the Grail extended one's life...but to be immortal, one had to keep drinking, and the Grail couldn't pass the seal. So Indy and his Dad each took sips, and thus gained quite a few years of extra life...but not immortality.

That's just the impression I always got.
  13. Jedi_Sith_CHAN Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, I don't think they gained a few years of extra life. To have some extra life, the Grail most not pass the seal, even if you had been drinking before you past the seal. And to gain immortality you must keep drinking from the Grail.
  14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I don't think so, but immortality might be an issue in the new movie.
  15. smibrilundun Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good idea,however Indy and dad would be locked away being tested to see why a 109 year looks about 60 and a 135 year old looks about 80.
  16. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    During the Young Indy Chronicles, we see Harrison Ford in modern times (when the series was produced) with an eyepatch and a cane.. but not looking completely decrepit. This was explained because he'd drunk from the grail.

-TJ
  17. JAWA64 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I always wondered why the knight didn't just tunnel out the other side of the room to freedom and immortality. I mean, he had 500 years, you think he would have thought," hey that technically wouldn't be crossing the seal"
  18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Pfft, the grail doesnt provide eternal youth which seems to be the misconception here. Look at the Knight who stayed for the last 500 years? All it does is extends your lifespan and wards off death. If you dont continue to drink from the grail, you become suseptible to the age of your body and other things that can bring about death.

The Knights who had left eventually began to age normally once the grail's effects wore off and eventually died of old age. When they left, they were already physically old but still in perfect health. Otherwise they would not have been able to make the journey back at all. As they made their journey, they become exposed to all the diseases and ailements common in that time. Without the grail they cant continue to keep their perfect health or slow their aging. Eventually the older of the two dies before they reach their destination and the younger one dies some time after he arrived. Which could have been years later for all we know.

Indiana Jones drank from the grail, the most he probably got out of it is perfect health (which is one of the things the grail can do) which can actually add years onto your existing lifespan. Passing over the seal, as proven with Jones Sr., does not take away any of the healing factors the grail provides and therefore does not negate what the grail does to you. It is the grail itself that you need to continue to live a long life in perfect health. The grail cannot pass the seal and we know what happens when you try to take it with you and cross it. The whole place comes down ontop of you.

The seal means nothing except its a booby trap meant to keep the grail inside the temple. That is what the Knight was trying to warn them about and Jones understood. The seal does not take up the whole floor so you could have gotten around the trap and taken the grail outside.

Its the grail you need! You dont need to stay in the temple!
  19. Darth_Deus Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, I'm gone for a few years after Ep 3 and these boards have gone to crap. We used to have people here who actually knew what they were talking about.

Before you go making posts, try to get your facts straight. It makes you look that much more intelligent.

The line is:

"You have chosen wisely. But the GRAIL cannot pass beyond the great seal. That is the boundary and the price of immortality"

Ok, now let's look at this line and see what it is trying to tell us.

If the GRAIL goes by the seal, the boundary has been violated and thus, your immortality is done and over with. Why would he also say it is the price?? Well, the grail is obviously very valuable BEYOND THE SEAL.

Since the grail went beyond the seal thanks to Elsa, Henry and Indy are no longer immortal. End of discussion. Thank you for playing. Be sure to tip your waitress.
  20. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I've always been nagged by this as well. I think it means immortal spiritually because you have accepted Christ but it also grants immortality physically as long as you keep drinking from it. That said, I think Indy and Henry will both live a little longer than the avergae norm, unless one is killed or shot. Heck, in this film Indy will be 62 so Henry will have to be like 80 something in terms of canon. That's not that bad....
  21. Darth_Davi Jedi Master

star 4
    They haven't locked up Dick Clark yet...
  22. IndyFan89 Jedi Master

star 1
    "The grail cannot pass the great seal. That is the price of immortality"
  23. Darth_Deus Jedi Master

star 4
    "You have chosen wisely. But the GRAIL cannot pass beyond the great seal. That is the boundary and the price of immortality"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.