main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT So are the Jedi evil?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Khaleesi, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    1. Jedi are dogmatic like the Catholic Church

2. Just because Palpatine is physically ugly, doesn't mean he is evil.

3. Just because Sith kill, doesn't mean they are evil. One cannot apply our morality since we lack the Light and Dark sides of the Force in real life.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
  3. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    Yoda and Obi Wan wanted Luke to kill Darth Vader.

According to their Jedi dogmas, he could not turn back from the Dark side.

Obviously this was an incorrect religious dogma that the Jedi had.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Good lord...

5. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    We cannot apply our morality.

We don't have the Force, with both its Light and Dark aspects.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    "You must face Darth Vader again" Obi
    "I can't kill my own father" Luke

I don't even know why I am getting into this... The Jedi are all about defence and only match force with force. Anyone that needs to be apprehended for crimes/war crimes etc would be taken in peacefully... But what happens when they don't come peacefully? Your duty must still be done. Luke was aware of where the Darth Vader situation could lead and was already at a disadvantage knowing he couldn't "pull the trigger" so to speak...

Real world - I am in law enforcement. If I go to arrest someone and they pull a knife on me am I not allowed to defend myself?? Doesn't make me evil. Good people carry weapons to do their duty peacefully and if the other party doesn't come peacefully and steps it up a notch you can match them (and defend yourself)

As far as the Catholic Church - How are you comparing them to Jedi?? What because they have a few bad apples?? Name me 1 profession that has never had a bad guy in it at some point! :oops:Now as far as the Sith not being evil because they kill...? Say that sentence out loud. Hmmm

J7Luke likes this.
  7. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    Our real-life morality doesn't apply to them.

We don't have the Force, with its Light and Dark aspects.

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Morality is about knowing the difference between right and wrong - The Sith know, they just don't care. I know it has become fashionable for war films to show as much grey as possible BUT we always knew who was right and who was wrong in the galaxy far far away...it's called a moral compass!

9. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017

"Right and wrong" would be different in that reality, since they have the Force with both its Light and Dark aspects.

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    We can go light or dark at any moment we choose - It's no different for Luke, Yoda, Darth, Palpatine, Obi etc It's about knowing what is right and being able to stay true to your beliefs.

When someone bumps me in the street and says "You best watch yourself!" I can choose to say "My mistake" and keep walking or I can choose to fly kick the person...

J7Luke, theraphos and Snax Rebo like this.
  11. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    We don't have the Force in real-life.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    True. But the basic principal is the same. Some people have better abilities than others - They can either use these for good or bad.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  13. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    Real-life "good and bad" doesn't apply to these people who have the Force, with its Light and Dark aspects.

14. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    You sound like a Sith in disguise!

J7Luke and Avnar like this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    How so? The galaxy far far away still has laws...

theraphos and Snax Rebo like this.
  16. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017
    They have an entire "law of the universe" we don't have.

The Force. With both its Light and Dark aspects.

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If you say "The Force with both its Light and Dark aspects" one more freaking time I swear to god I am going to flip.

18. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017

I would be like to be a Sith in that universe.

Even Luke himself had to go against Jedi religious dogma to save his father.

19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Khaleesi... I'll try changing tact for you... Would you be comfortable working for Darth Vader? Let's say you work at the Mcdonalds equivalent on Tatooine and Darth Vader was your boss... Would you be comfortable telling him you forgot to give someone their fries and now they are mad as hell! Do you think it would be reasonable for him to force-choke you to death just because his point of view is that you let him down? Would Luke Skywalker do the same?

[face_dunno]

J7Luke, theraphos and Snax Rebo like this.
  20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The Sith are a bunch of backstabbing Machiavellian fascists. The Jedi are essentially good but they became more about the structure of their order than the value of their beliefs. There's your answer in a nutshell. The Force doesn't influence morality; it's a mythic metaphor for the struggle between light and dark we all go through in our everyday lives.

21. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    I knew it. Your temptations won't work on me, Palpatine! How's the internet at the bottom of the Death Star?

J7Luke and Sarge like this.
  22. Khaleesi

Khaleesi Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2017

The Jedi are the medieval Catholic Church.

Always controlling people's actions with their religious dogma.

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Alright Khaleesi... Talk us through it... How old are you? What's your background? I feel like you need some guidance so you don't become an earth-bound Sith Lord :cool:

J7Luke and Snax Rebo like this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Then any of our own thoughts, including yours, on who is good and who is evil are irrelevant. You shouldn't be asking us, or yourself, if we can't apply our morality.

None of us have the Force, so none us know, by your reasoning.

25. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean... not really? They control (or at least moderate) the actions of their members, but any organization religious or otherwise does that. It doesn't make them evil by default; none of their beliefs are really evil, although a handful are unnecessarily restrictive. They never impose their dogma on the Galaxy as a whole, though. Contrast that to the Sith, who not only wiped out the entirety of the Jedi, but also prohibited any religious beliefs (the Church of the Force was an illegal and persecuted religious group during the Dark Times), and ruled over the Galaxy with an iron fist. They literally did what you're falsely accusing the Jedi of doing. I'm not sure how or why you'd side with them.

theraphos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.