main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT So are the stormtroopers clones or what ??

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SarlacsDinnerParty, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, yes - however, after what Filoni said, it's possible that there have been changes and that the 501st are mostly normal humans.

2. The Philosophical Owl

The Philosophical Owl Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2014
    Oh right, I forgot EU was retconned... bloody disney...

But it is still plausible to have happened

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I would see him retaining Jangos in the 501st even after the changes, as being partly a trace of sentimentality in Vader (he wants his old subordinates to stay with him) and his believing that "soldiers do not get better than this" and wanting to avoid the consequences of the changes for his own forces.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Long before there was an "official" canon or EU, the poster magazine had an article saying that the troopers were clones, though the movie and novelization don't mention this at all.

Death Wizard and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    How would birth born recruits perform in relation to clones? I'd imagine the Empire would have "methods" to get conscripts to the same level of ability as clones trained from birth. I imagined though that clones are only the enlisted ranks, as no officer worth mentioning has ever been a clone.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In TCW plenty of bridge officers (but not captains) are clones.

7. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    They're both.

Many are conscripts.

Some are still clones.

8. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    But we're talking about the Imperial stormtroopers. Name one clone imperial officer that wasn't a clone wars veteran.

9. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Well lets look at the face, in ANH and the rest of the OT that stormtroopers do not have the sound voice as Jango Fett, so we can rule out that they are clones from Fett

Darth Zannah likes this.
  10. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    After the Empire's creation, they went from using Kaminoan Fett clones to clones of various templates grown by newly-constructed imperial facilities.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The only ones will be in the EU. However, Major Grodin Tierce is a notable example (he was part of a very special cloning project though).

12. Jedi Wok

Jedi Wok Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2014
    Here you go. This Wiki states nearly every Star Wars segment of information you need. :) It will pop up when you let's say look for Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber... (EXAMPLE: Go on Google or whichever thingy you go on and look up Obi Wan's lightsaber or anything you need to know.) Here's a link to Stormtroopers in this Wiki, or should say Wookie? Hehe. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

13. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Wookieepedia, while an invaluable resource for this kind of thing, cannot always be taken as gospel since anyone can alter the information in it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    That is true, unless it is backed by a cited source.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    More than that, but a lot of the old EU is out now. We'll have to see what is said in the newer books and comics as time goes on.

16. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    Not for me. I'll stick with the pre-disney canon, thank you.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Except it was never canon either, before Lucas sold his company.

Andy Wylde and kubricklynch like this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My two cents are that there were clones (mindless drones) and regular guys. What the exact ratio I don't know but I THINK that it depended on where and how much certain higher ups in the Empire trusted you. If you weren't trusted as far as your average Joe and Jane alien of standard strength could throw you then your storm troopers might be made up of mostly mindless drones. If you were trusted you might have more recruits than mindless drones. And then it might depend on who you were as well. Lord Darth Vader I see as having either an even mix or more mindless drones than average.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW clones didn't seem especially mindless.

In fact, Filoni, I'm told, hinted that the clones were too individualistic, and not loyal enough - and that they switched to "regular guys" for that reason:

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Um, yeah, it was. Circa 2002, Rostoni and the other higher-ups in LFL confirmed that the EU was canon. And a few years later this was clarified with the G, T and C canon levels.

21. Meyerm

Aug 17, 2014
    I doubt though that the Empire's vast military force could be made entirely up of volunteers. There has to be conscription if cloning isn't used anymore. Perhaps the Empire uses Indoctrination techniques previously illegal under the republic to ensure loyalty and lack of individuality.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Canon to the official publications, but not to Lucas himself. He has always said that it was a separate universe from his work and that if he did any more films, or any television series, he wouldn't be bound to them. That's why TCW changed so much from established EU works, and the PT itself also contradicted stories from that time period and further back, requiring massive retcons.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I don't have any interest in looking up whether or not Stormtroopers are Clones in Wookiepedia, since any info. on this would probably be retroactive & may have been written recently.

What's interesting to me is to look back at how this issue was addressed years ago. Two sources I specfifically remember (but can't cite exactly, since I don't have access to them now) are:

-Back in the early '80's?!, there was a Star Wars magazine (possibly from the U.K.?!) that stated that Stormtroopers were clones, and detailed their daily lives, etc.

-When the first POTF2 orange-carded figures came out in 1995, they had file cards on the back - the Stormtrooper file card specifically stated that they were clones, though I don't remember all of the details.

In any case, my point is that Stormtroopers being clones is not something that came up when we first saw the Clone-troopers (the predecessors to the Stormtroopers) in AOTC; this was something that was discussed long beforehand....and, yes, I know that Obi-wan Kenobi & Luke briefly mentioned "The Clone Wars" in ANH, but there was no detail given at the time as to what these wars actually were...

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    January 1978 to be precise - the magazine was called Star Wars Poster Monthly, and this site actually has scans of it.

The Stormtrooper part of that issue:

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post4-03.jpg

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Thanks for the clarification - yes, this is what I'm remembering. I remember seeing this sometime in the early - mid '80's, and for years it's the only reference that was made to the Stormtroopers being clones. As a kid, prior to reading this I remember thinking that they were robots - despite the fact that Han & Luke disguised themselves as Stormtroopers in ANH.

Iron_lord likes this.